• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bluetooth Earbuds with Sena

MOONDOG59

Are there any custom bluetooth earbuds out there that will pair with a Sena?

The wired pair I got from Tim McCarty, Marietta GA finally failed and he has passed away so I need to find another source.

Now I wonder if there wireless bluetooth earbuds.

Speakers in the helmet are no options

Personally I won’t do Bluetooth earbuds as they run out of juice and is another thing that needs to be charged. I use custom moulded hard wire ear buds. Then the only thin* to charge is the iPod.

A couple of threads in the Similar Threads pane below that might have some ideas.

Are you trying to use a Sena headset/intercom (like a SMH10 or 20S Evo, etc) with a bluetooth headset? If so, it won't work as they are different Bluetooth profiles.

I don't know about their 2-way radio adaptors (SR10, SM10) - that could be possible...

A couple of threads in the Similar Threads pane below that might have some ideas.

Yes, I have a SMH-10. Are the newer Senas compatible? I'll have to research bluetooth differences.

This is an old Sena and I have toyed with the FM compatible unit.

Are there any custom bluetooth earbuds out there that will pair with a Sena?

I was about to start a thread on that. Good timing!

I bought a pair of Bluetooth earbuds and I am trying to pair them with my Sena 10R. So far what I have tried, does not work.

I know the earbuds work as I could pair them with my BMW Navigator V GPS.

Based on Sena's information https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021331292-Which-Bluetooth-profiles-are-supported-by-Sena-products-

I don't see a profile that will allow you to go from GPS/Phone -> Sena -> Bluetooth Audio headphones

A similar post on the topic:
https://advrider.com/f/threads/bluetooth-earbuds-connected-to-sena.1263018/

What I didn't think about was using a 3.5mm Bluetooth transmitter out of the "aux" port on the Sena to your Bluetooth headphones... no idea of it would work. I'd think it would be yet another thing that you'd need to find a place for and keep charged.

Based on Sena's information https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021331292-Which-Bluetooth-profiles-are-supported-by-Sena-products-

I don't see a profile that will allow you to go from GPS/Phone -> Sena -> Bluetooth Audio headphones.

Thanks for that link. My BT earbuds support: A2DP/AVRCP/HFP/HSP according to the specs.

I was hoping to replace the speakers in my Sena 10R with the BT earbuds for the reason below...

I had a look. Seems I am not the only person (actually, I have read about the complaint many times) that thinks "the speakers are useless on the road" as he put it. Mine are at anything above 45 MPH.

Are you riding with ear plugs in? It sound counterintuitive, but the ear plugs cut the road/wind noise, allowing me to hear the Sena much better.

Personally, I plug a pair of Shure Se215's into my SENA 20S and the sound is great!! Shure makes a great product and the entire piece fit within the ear, making the process of putting on / taking off the helmet a breeze. For ~$100 they are really excellent.

Wireless buds? I prefer a wired connection - one less thing to charge.

Ski

Personally, I plug a pair of Shure Se215's into my SENA 20S and the sound is great!! Shure makes a great product and the entire piece fit within the ear, making the process of putting on / taking off the helmet a breeze. For ~$100 they are really excellent.

I saw a YouTube of a rider that used something similar. He used a Bose set-up. They were a bit pricey and I wasn't sure they would work as I would want them to work. Since then my Sena 10R which I've bought in 2016 are just used as decoration on my helmet. LOL

I'll look up those Shures.

Now that I have seen them, you say "the entire piece fit within the ear, making the process of putting on / taking off the helmet a breeze". Do they fit over the ear and into the ear channel, because my earbuds pop off when putting on my Shoei Neotec. These things are supposed to act as both the speaker and earplug. Edited to add: Just saw the video, the cable runs over the ear for a more secure fit.

Thanks for that link. My BT earbuds support: A2DP/AVRCP/HFP/HSP according to the specs.

I was hoping to replace the speakers in my Sena 10R with the BT earbuds for the reason below...

I had a look. Seems I am not the only person (actually, I have read about the complaint many times) that thinks "the speakers are useless on the road" as he put it. Mine are at anything above 45 MPH.

My SENA 20S speakers weren't loud enough either. I re-positioned them, cut the foam in the liner so they had direct access to the ear canal and they have been perfect up to 80mph since.

As for charging the 20s, I get 11-12 hours on a full charge. If I'm going to ride longer than that, I take the unit off the helmet when stopped for lunch. In 45 minutes the 20s comes back to near full charge. Charging isn't a problem.

My SENA 20S speakers weren't loud enough either. I re-positioned them, cut the foam in the liner so they had direct access to the ear canal and they have been perfect up to 80mph since.

Repositioning them will be my last resort. They are in the dedicated speaker pockets and I did remove the foam attached to the plastic inserts.

I really have to wonder why manufacturers don't test their products under all conditions. The almighty buck rules, I guess.

Repositioning them will be my last resort. They are in the dedicated speaker pockets and I did remove the foam attached to the plastic inserts.

I really have to wonder why manufacturers don't test their products under all conditions. The almighty buck rules, I guess.

Like I mentioned, once I cut the thin membrane the speakers were behind, and repositioned them, they are plenty loud enough at 80mph.

I saw a YouTube of a rider that used something similar. He used a Bose set-up. They were a bit pricey and I wasn't sure they would work as I would want them to work. Since then my Sena 10R which I've bought in 2016 are just used as decoration on my helmet. LOL

I'll look up those Shures.

Now that I have seen them, you say "the entire piece fit within the ear, making the process of putting on / taking off the helmet a breeze". Do they fit over the ear and into the ear channel, because my earbuds pop off when putting on my Shoei Neotec. These things are supposed to act as both the speaker and earplug. Edited to add: Just saw the video, the cable runs over the ear for a more secure fit.

I answered your PM but:

the buds fit nicely within the ear (at least in my ears) and don't stick out to provide any protrusions that you might catch on your helmet. As you saw in the video the use is a bit unusual because, once the buds are in you ear, the cable runs up, over, and down the backside of the ear. Very comfortable IMHO.

Can't really recommend them highly enough, they provide a reasonable level of sound isolation without totally blocking out engine, traffic sounds. I use the Silicone "christmas tree" style ear inserts due to comfort and isolation.

One thing i would like to stress is that the earbuds are "snap-fit" to the cords. This means that if your cord gets broken you can replace the cord - much cheaper than buying a new pair of quality earbuds. You can also buy longer, shorter, or heavier duty cords but keep the same buds.

YMMV but I think they are a no brainer for quality earbuds, unless you want to buy the higher-end versions which have the same replaceable cord function. Shure products are used by many musicians to provide sound isolation and true sound.

No, I don't work for Shure. But if they want to send me a pair of SE 515's I wouldn't complain

Ski

PS - I have a pair of noise cancelling Bose Earbuds that I love - but they DO NOT work on the motorcycle, I keep getting periodic Popping sounds when ever I try to use them

Are you riding with ear plugs in? It sound counterintuitive, but the ear plugs cut the road/wind noise, allowing me to hear the Sena much better.

I agree , Tom. Accidently taken off forgetting to put in plugs and have a hard time listening to tunes without them.

Can't really recommend them highly enough...

Well there is a music store here in town that has a set of those Shure earbuds. So I'll cart my helmet along and give them a try with respect to fit.

I just ordered the Sena 10R-A0101 Earbud Adapter Split Cable for my 10R since the unit does not have a 3.5 mm socket.

Got the cable yesterday.

Not that it affects cable operation, but does anyone know what that section within the red circle is called? It is called a "strain relief" and I wish manufacturers knew how to design one. Almost 100% of them are useless and as stiff as the connector attached to them. No fancy smancy degree, but I sure could show them how.

Attachments

• Sena 10R Earbud Adapter Split Cable - 1.jpg
    Sena 10R Earbud Adapter Split Cable - 1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Back