• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sw-Motech crash bars

JimStone

I just bought an F700GS after not having a bike for many years. One of the accessories I found for it is a set of SW-Motech crash bars. They seem to be very well designed and sturdy. However, the directions are a little hard to figure out. There are quite a few similar bolts and spacers, making it hard to know for sure which ones go where. Does anyone know how to make sense of it?

Decoding the directions

I think I have answered my own question. I sat down with the Motech directions, all the screws and spacers ro attempt to decode it. Also with a small metric ruler. I wanted to confirm that all the parts were there as well.

For the spacers, they show something like this: 20/10,5/50. (What’s with Europeans and commas, anyway?)

This translates to 20 mm OD, 10.5 mm ID, 50 mm length.

For the hex screws (bolts) they show something like M10 x 100; DIN 931.

This translates to a 10 mm screw with a length of 100 mm under the head.

I was able to identify all of the screws and spacers, and marked each one with a Sharpie marker for easy identification during assembly. I also checked each one off on the directions to make sure all the parts were included. They were.

I am now confident that I can install the bars. I’m hoping this might help someone in the future.

Jim

SW-Motech Support

This is a follow-up about SW-Motech support. I had sent an inquiry to SW-Motech in Germany through their website. They forwarded my question to Twisted Throttle, their North American distributor. Brendan at Twisted Throttle then emailed me to offer any help I might need. He also let me know that they are happy to provide support for any of the products they carry. They have a toll-free number for the US and Canada: 855-255-5550

Extra parts

I finally got around to installing these crash bars. I had trouble visualizing just how it was all going to fit together. It turned out that Motech included a few extra bolts and spacers in the bag, probably to allow them to use one parts kit for several models. The bars fit perfectly, and are very sturdy.

I finally got around to installing these crash bars. I had trouble visualizing just how it was all going to fit together. It turned out that Motech included a few extra bolts and spacers in the bag, probably to allow them to use one parts kit for several models. The bars fit perfectly, and are very sturdy.

I'd love to see photos of your crash bars and hear how you like them. I just purchased an F700GS and want to add them.

Video better than photo

Vark,

If you do a search on YouTube, Twisted Throttle Canada has a video showing these crash bars.

Jim

Vark,

If you do a search on YouTube, Twisted Throttle Canada has a video showing these crash bars.

Jim

Okay thanks, will check.

Are you still pleased with the choice? Lots of options out there but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the SW Motech version. They seem to get the job done in a minimalist way - - assuming they are effective. Some of the other designs are more elaborate and bulky looking.

Back