Thread: Sw-Motech crash bars

Sw-Motech crash bars

I just bought an F700GS after not having a bike for many years. One of the accessories I found for it is a set of SW-Motech crash bars. They seem to be very well designed and sturdy. However, the directions are a little hard to figure out. There are quite a few similar bolts and spacers, making it hard to know for sure which ones go where. Does anyone know how to make sense of it?

Decoding the directions

I think I have answered my own question. I sat down with the Motech directions, all the screws and spacers ro attempt to decode it. Also with a small metric ruler. I wanted to confirm that all the parts were there as well.

For the spacers, they show something like this: 20/10,5/50. (Whatís with Europeans and commas, anyway?)

This translates to 20 mm OD, 10.5 mm ID, 50 mm length.

For the hex screws (bolts) they show something like M10 x 100; DIN 931.

This translates to a 10 mm screw with a length of 100 mm under the head.

I was able to identify all of the screws and spacers, and marked each one with a Sharpie marker for easy identification during assembly. I also checked each one off on the directions to make sure all the parts were included. They were.

I am now confident that I can install the bars. Iím hoping this might help someone in the future.

Jim

SW-Motech Support

This is a follow-up about SW-Motech support. I had sent an inquiry to SW-Motech in Germany through their website. They forwarded my question to Twisted Throttle, their North American distributor. Brendan at Twisted Throttle then emailed me to offer any help I might need. He also let me know that they are happy to provide support for any of the products they carry. They have a toll-free number for the US and Canada: 855-255-5550

Extra parts

I finally got around to installing these crash bars. I had trouble visualizing just how it was all going to fit together. It turned out that Motech included a few extra bolts and spacers in the bag, probably to allow them to use one parts kit for several models. The bars fit perfectly, and are very sturdy.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Thanks for finishing up the thread.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200