• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Looking to get another “not a beemer” bike any ideas

bmrrdr

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

I like my Suzuki 650 V Strom. The Suzuki is my "dirty trip" bike with Anakee Wild Tires. But I have ridden it all over Canada and Eastern U.S. My BMW is an R1200rt.

I have a Yamaha R1 for a play bike. It's a blast!

It really depends on what you want. Some of the naked sport bikes with a more upright seating position would be fun and not abuse the body s much.

Thanks all. Yeah I don’t want to abuse myself too much like more upright seating position for sure. As to the Guzzi I’d love one. Couldn’t even guess where the closest dealer is. I’m done playing that game. KTM is about as exotic as I can go. Thought about the 390??

I've got a Yamaha MT-07. I love it. It's got a nice upright riding position. It's light, low seat height, and very fast (similar power to weight ratio as wethead). I put on an aftermarket windscreen and a few other farkles. It's a blast to ride the twisties and it's so easy to take down to the hardware store. It's also very cheap, either brand new or used.

Last edited:
....So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X....

Have you looked at the latest version of the CB500X? In 2019 this model was completely re-vamped with many significant improvements (larger front wheel, slipper clutch, more engine torque in the midrange, more ground clearance and suspension travel, new dash screen, etc etc).

I have had an opportunity to compare the old/new models closely and feel the 2019+ would be the better choice. Either way, the CB500X has extensive aftermarket support, so it’s a very attractive offering.

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

I have a CB 500X in Europe and it is a phenomenal motorcycle. I had quite forgotten how much fun a smaller, lighter bike is to ride.

Cb500x

Yes I have considered the 19 over the 17. Just such a great deal on the leftover 17. $4,999. Also a bit shorter maybe I could get the wife to try it. Thanks for the info

Yes I have considered the 19 over the 17. Just such a great deal on the leftover 17. $4,999. Also a bit shorter maybe I could get the wife to try it. Thanks for the info

Yes, the spec shows a lower seat height for the pre-2019 models (about 3/4”). But reality is the 2019+ models have a much narrower seat. I sat on both side-by-side and the contact patch on my feet was identical.

So, effectively no difference in seat height, as far as reach is concerned. Lowering links are available for any of them.

That IS a good deal on the ‘17.

I have a CB 500X in Europe and it is a phenomenal motorcycle. I had quite forgotten how much fun a smaller, lighter bike is to ride.

Just spooled your video - - well done! What a neat trip - - you covered a lot ground on that bike!

Since you don't want another BMW I will not suggest that you get at 310R or GS, take advantage of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty and road service.

Ride the wheels off it, then call BMW to come pick you up.

I just won't do it.

What about a new or used Kawasaki 650W. They are everything the old 650 Bonnie was but without the Lucas electrics.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I find myself like the OP, looking for a smaller around town bike. I've narrowed it to the Kawi Versys 650 or 300 or the Honda cb500x myself.

I actually rode a 310 GS last spring. It was a lot of fun once I learned to keep the revs up. I haven’t completely eliminated BMW or Triumph, just thinking about the convience of a local dealer network.

Lemme tellya, that little bike has got what it takes! :thumb

That is very good to hear. Truth be told, I am waiting for my local dealer to get one in so I can test ride. I have pretty much narrowed it down to a new one of these or a used F650/700GS. Pros and cons to both, but the pricepoint for the CB500X is hard to beat, not to mention the weight and fuel economy.

This gal also rides a Honda CB500X:
<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WP17tgeIrHw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This gal also rides a Honda CB500X:
<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WP17tgeIrHw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Meghan makes some nice videos, including a review of her CB500X. Hers is an earlier generation that she purchased used. She seems to really like it a lot and she covers some territory with it. The latest version (2019+) has had a lot of improvements made to it (which I mentioned in an earlier post to this thread), so might be even more attractive.

Back