• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Looking to get another “not a beemer” bike any ideas

Hey all thanks for all the input! I pulled the trigger on 2/29 brought home a new ‘19 NC750X. Liked it a bit more than the 500. Didn’t want to plop down 9 or 10 k for the z900rs. Hope I enjoy it.....

Hey all thanks for all the input! I pulled the trigger on 2/29 brought home a new ‘19 NC750X. Liked it a bit more than the 500. Didn’t want to plop down 9 or 10 k for the z900rs. Hope I enjoy it.....

It's a motorcycle! why wouldn't you enjoy it!

That is great, congrats! It seems like an ideal bike for commuting and getting around town, plus being capable of light touring.

The forward trunk on the NC750X is very appealing. I think it’s darn impressive that by moving the tank under the seat, Honda was able to create a compartment large enough to lock your helmet into. And yet the BMW F700/800GS bikes have virtually no storage there!?!?

Triumph Bonneville T100

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

I have a 2014 Bonneville T100 865cc that has been a blast to ride, easy to maintain and relatively light weight (500 lbs.). Gas mileage as high as 58 mpg, multiple accessory options, and to me, great looking.

I'm still looking at a second bike. Sat on the RE Himalayan, not for me. Checked out the BMW 310, not for me either. BUT I did just sit on a Honda cb500X and other than no accessories available for it [ like bags ] it ticks most of the boxes. :thumb

I'm still looking at a second bike. Sat on the RE Himalayan, not for me. Checked out the BMW 310, not for me either. BUT I did just sit on a Honda cb500X and other than no accessories available for it [ like bags ] it ticks most of the boxes. :thumb

It’s on my short list too. As far as bags, there are many options, oem and aftermarket. Lots of other accessories, as well. It has a fairly big aftermarket following...

It’s on my short list too. As far as bags, there are many options, oem and aftermarket. Lots of other accessories, as well. It has a fairly big aftermarket following...

Not sure what racks would be made for this bike. The salesperson said no bags available yet on the 2020. Now I'm wondering if they'd be the same and available for a 2019-2018 etc. :thumb

Not sure what racks would be made for this bike. The salesperson said no bags available yet on the 2020. Now I'm wondering if they'd be the same and available for a 2019-2018 etc. :thumb

2019 & 2020 models are identical. Oem Honda bags and racks available. Aftermarket bags and racks from SW Motec, Givi, Rally Raid, and others, hard and soft cases. This bike has loads of accessories available, oem and aftermarket.

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

Start by thinking about what kind of riding experience you want to have. Classic bike? Modern sporting weapon? Cruiser? Backroad capable naked?

Start there and then you can drill down into the segment.

2019 & 2020 models are identical. Oem Honda bags and racks available. Aftermarket bags and racks from SW Motec, Givi, Rally Raid, and others, hard and soft cases. This bike has loads of accessories available, oem and aftermarket.

That makes the decision much easier, thanks for the intel.

scooter

My mostly go to ride is a 180cc Kymco Racing King...I travel all over Taiwan; I've been over the mountains from West to East and back and from North to South. I can outrun most cars from red light to red light and cruise at about 45-50 mph. I have never had a problem with this scooter since owned; I just have the oils and lubes changed and occasionally top up the radiator. Kymco makes the engines for the BMW scooter but it does sound like a lawn mower engine.

alnernative to GS

Hi
Not sure if you have purchased a new ride yet but here is my 2 cents worth. I have recently owned a Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000, it was a 2017 model. I did all the modifications to it that the newer 2019 now comes standard with, tubeless tires, heated grips, cruise control, rack, taller windscreen, crash bars and skid plate, etc., etc. I also changed form the stock tires of Bridgestone to a German brand Mefo Super Explorer on the rear and a Continental K80 on the front. I wanted better off road traction as I had planned to be off road at least 60% of the time and have had experience in South America off road previously so was aware of what I might come across. I also added a heated saddle as I was going to be drive over very high altitude in stormy conditions for several weeks in the South American Altiplano. After over 28000 miles on my trip from British Columbia to the Patagonia and back I can report that everything positive about the bike itself that you can read is TRUE! Its a Honda, a fabulous reliable well made and durable motor cylce. It was easy to ride right from the very first test ride, tight u-turns, easy back wheel sliding off road, well balanced, low center of gravity, tons of power and fun to ride .....as I told my dealer after the test ride, "if they made it any easier it would be boring"....which made for a fabulous trouble free adventure across the 2 continents in ALL types of weather and conditions. The only condition that I did have considerable challenge on was deep gravel for about 120 miles in southern Argentina, the bike wanted to swim like a fish, both front and back wheels...I found out though later speaking to a couple of other travels on smaller bikes from Germany that they also experienced similar swimming and we both mentioned that we were reduced to about 40-45mph (70kph) for those hours over the distance...so it wasn't just me.
I have owned other outstanding off road machines, other Honda's, 650 XLR...great , even lighter 365lbs I believe, but not comfortable on long hauls... all the regular Honda traits of highly reliable, well made and dependable not matter where it takes you. a fabulous older Suzuki Dakar 650,
out standing engine and over all reliability, very robust, a little more finicky on tuning but one of the best bikes I have ever ridden off road, very powerful engine and low end torque, KTM makes a great bike but too much regular maintenance at short intervals and the 2019 790 Adventure R has had numerous and considerable teething problems that would leave you high and dry along way from home....not what anyone needs for off road ridding! They are working on it and if it works out that all problems are proven to have been addressed correctly it may be my next adventure machine as it is only 425lbs ..roughly, and very similar performance parameters to the Honda Africa Twin CRF 1000cc, but this won't be proven until 2021...so its a long wait.
The Kawasaki KLR is in fact a very good machine, quite reliable, very strong engine, can carry you fast over all terrain and not too heavy again around 350lbs I believe, I used an older on in South America for a couple of years in the Andes and the desert, robust and easy to ride and care for. low maintenance over all.
All of the above have numerous after market suppliers for modifications, travel needs such as panniers, tanks bags, windscreens etc.
Hope this helps. Cheers

Back