Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Looking to get another “not a beemer” bike any ideas

Looking to get another “not a beemer” bike any ideas

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.

I like my Suzuki 650 V Strom. The Suzuki is my "dirty trip" bike with Anakee Wild Tires. But I have ridden it all over Canada and Eastern U.S. My BMW is an R1200rt.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I really like my Scooter ! Traction Control, ABS, Keyless, 85mpg, 85mph, 2 full helmets under the seat! Retail $5600
    https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax

I have a Yamaha R1 for a play bike. It's a blast!

It really depends on what you want. Some of the naked sport bikes with a more upright seating position would be fun and not abuse the body s much.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Take a look at the Moto Guzzi V7 III. Good price, fun to ride, easy to work on.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Thanks all. Yeah I don’t want to abuse myself too much like more upright seating position for sure. As to the Guzzi I’d love one. Couldn’t even guess where the closest dealer is. I’m done playing that game. KTM is about as exotic as I can go. Thought about the 390??

I've got a Yamaha MT-07. I love it. It's got a nice upright riding position. It's light, low seat height, and very fast (similar power to weight ratio as wethead). I put on an aftermarket windscreen and a few other farkles. It's a blast to ride the twisties and it's so easy to take down to the hardware store. It's also very cheap, either brand new or used.
    Last edited by littlebriar; 02-08-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Quote Originally Posted by bmrrdr View Post
    ....So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X....
    Have you looked at the latest version of the CB500X? In 2019 this model was completely re-vamped with many significant improvements (larger front wheel, slipper clutch, more engine torque in the midrange, more ground clearance and suspension travel, new dash screen, etc etc).

I have had an opportunity to compare the old/new models closely and feel the 2019+ would be the better choice. Either way, the CB500X has extensive aftermarket support, so it’s a very attractive offering.

Hey all, I’m a proud owner of a R1200GSA.. love it and keeping it. I am however thinking about getting a smaller maybe lighter bike just for tooling around on when I don’t want to get the GS out. So far I’m considering and have ridden a new ‘17 Honda CB500X and a Kawasaki Z900RS. I know they are nothing alike. Have also looked at an Indian Scout 60 and a Suzuki SV650. Anybody have or have had one of these that can share some insight?? I really like the Triumph Bonneville T100 and Royal Enfield GT650. I’ve crossed these off though because I don’t have a local dealer. As a bunch of us have I’ve traveled at least 200 miles for a BWW dealer for over 20 years and they just closed their doors. Now I have to go 250. Anyway would really appreciate some input. Thanks.
    I have a CB 500X in Europe and it is a phenomenal motorcycle. I had quite forgotten how much fun a smaller, lighter bike is to ride.

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom

Cb500x

Yes I have considered the 19 over the 17. Just such a great deal on the leftover 17. $4,999. Also a bit shorter maybe I could get the wife to try it. Thanks for the info

Yes I have considered the 19 over the 17. Just such a great deal on the leftover 17. $4,999. Also a bit shorter maybe I could get the wife to try it. Thanks for the info
    Yes, the spec shows a lower seat height for the pre-2019 models (about 3/4”). But reality is the 2019+ models have a much narrower seat. I sat on both side-by-side and the contact patch on my feet was identical.

So, effectively no difference in seat height, as far as reach is concerned. Lowering links are available for any of them.

That IS a good deal on the ‘17.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    I have a CB 500X in Europe and it is a phenomenal motorcycle. I had quite forgotten how much fun a smaller, lighter bike is to ride.
    Just spooled your video - - well done! What a neat trip - - you covered a lot ground on that bike!

Since you don't want another BMW I will not suggest that you get at 310R or GS, take advantage of the 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty and road service.

Ride the wheels off it, then call BMW to come pick you up.

I just won't do it.

What about a new or used Kawasaki 650W. They are everything the old 650 Bonnie was but without the Lucas electrics.

Wayne Koppa
    Grayling, MI
    #71,449

I find myself like the OP, looking for a smaller around town bike. I've narrowed it to the Kawi Versys 650 or 300 or the Honda cb500x myself.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr