• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Group Rides during the Rally?

R65_Steve

I'm new to all this but attended in TN last year. I saw various groups leave the rally on group rides. I'm sure that was organized by local clubs or whatever. I'm planning to fly to MT and rent a bike for this one. I'd like to do some riding and would like to hook up with some groups, or I'm willing to plan a group ride or so from the suggested routes by the MT board of tourism. https://visitgreatfallsmontana.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/scenic-rides.pdf

Since I've only been to MT once and it's a big big place, I'm a little concerned about a lot of solo riding, where I wasn't in TN. But I'll still do it. I'm an "eat breakfast and roll" kinda guy if you like to get going early and then come back and enjoy the day shopping or BSing.

Thoughts? Any interest? Anyone planning? Yes, I know it's February, but I got a new jacket and am thinking about the open road.

Ride Board

I usually ride with my homeys, but IIRC there may be a ride board posting various group rides. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to all this but attended in TN last year. I saw various groups leave the rally on group rides. I'm sure that was organized by local clubs or whatever. I'm planning to fly to MT and rent a bike for this one. I'd like to do some riding and would like to hook up with some groups, or I'm willing to plan a group ride or so from the suggested routes by the MT board of tourism. https://visitgreatfallsmontana.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/scenic-rides.pdf

Since I've only been to MT once and it's a big big place, I'm a little concerned about a lot of solo riding, where I wasn't in TN. But I'll still do it. I'm an "eat breakfast and roll" kinda guy if you like to get going early and then come back and enjoy the day shopping or BSing.

Thoughts? Any interest? Anyone planning? Yes, I know it's February, but I got a new jacket and am thinking about the open road.

You need to saddle up and ride with a Posse!

The linked thread will show you all the various places you can meet up with fellow members on the way to Great Falls. There will also be some interesting routes provided.

This is still a working thing... subscribe to the thread and stay tuned. Here is the info collected so far.

Sorry, I don’t know anything about group rides during the rally, but my experience has been that those are ad-hoc groups that are either a group of friends in a club, or people who have met during the rally.

Ian

Thanks guys. A ride board would be great. I'll look for one but if anyone is interested in doing this virtually, post here and maybe we can figure it out.

I'd be down for a posse, but I'm splitting this vacation with the family...flying in, picking up a bike and riding to GF. Maybe I'll find a posse that works for me, but I might be a lone wolf on the way in.

Great Idea Steve

Thanks guys. A ride board would be great. I'll look for one but if anyone is interested in doing this virtually, post here and maybe we can figure it out.

I'd be down for a posse, but I'm splitting this vacation with the family...flying in, picking up a bike and riding to GF. Maybe I'll find a posse that works for me, but I might be a lone wolf on the way in.

As we come closer to the rally, plan out a ride, Maybe 200 miles with a lunch stop. Post it up. Meet up at 9:30 at the old apple tree, tanks topped off and stands up at 10. Lunch in Acme. Keep your group small. I'm sure that there will be some interest.

As we come closer to the rally, plan out a ride, Maybe 200 miles with a lunch stop. Post it up. Meet up at 9:30 at the old apple tree, tanks topped off and stands up at 10. Lunch in Acme. Keep your group small. I'm sure that there will be some interest.

Yup, something like that. Thanks for the encouragement.

I'd be up for a small group ride to the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier NP.

Joe

Joe - I just looked at the weather for June at Glacier NP. Looks very good, but there was one mention that the "Going to the Sun Road" might not be open its full length then.

Joe - I just looked at the weather for June at Glacier NP. Looks very good, but there was one mention that the "Going to the Sun Road" might not be open its full length then.

I was there in 2018 at the beginning of June. It was not open. They had just broken through the snow pack, but not put up the guard rails yet. So no Bueno.

Akbeemer posted these dates on when the road opened.

Logan Pass Opening Dates
2000 May 27
2001 June 7
2002 June 28
2003 May 30
2004 May 30
2005 May 22
2006 June 23
2007 July 1
2008 July 2
2009 June 26
2010 June 24
2011 July 13
2012 June 19
2013 June 21
2014 July 2
2015 June 19
2016 June 16

Last year it open on June 23rd.

I know. I'll have to play it by ear.

Joe

Akbeemer posted these dates on when the road opened.

Logan Pass Opening Dates
2000 May 27
2001 June 7
2002 June 28
2003 May 30
2004 May 30
2005 May 22
2006 June 23
2007 July 1
2008 July 2
2009 June 26
2010 June 24
2011 July 13
2012 June 19
2013 June 21
2014 July 2
2015 June 19
2016 June 16

Last year it open on June 23rd.

Since we'll be there close to the end of June, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Joe

The northern Rockies have an average to above average snow pack at this point. They will start plowing the GTTS road in April and that is when you may get an idea about when it will be open. It can take 3+ months.

Back