Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Helmet and protective gear

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    as long as this has morphed into injury protection via turtle from pure injury- any pointers on sizing? by their chart I'm XL but comments here and elsewhere indicate a Large is good for a 5'9' 180lb guy with a 42" chest (nekkid) wearing a roadcrafter (or foxcreek leather or Olympia or Rokker denim overshirt...thoughts? is the 2 cut differently enough I should go strictly by their chart
    I was told a large would fit me by their rep. I'm also 5'9" 180#'s. I had to adjust the buckles to about 1/2" longer to get that "fist" room they want you to have on the vest. The xl would have been way too big, the rep called it correctly. PM for direct contact number to the rep in Ca. if you're decide one is in your future.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

as long as this has morphed into injury protection via turtle from pure injury- any pointers on sizing? by their chart I'm XL but comments here and elsewhere indicate a Large is good for a 5'9' 180lb guy with a 42" chest (nekkid) wearing a roadcrafter (or foxcreek leather or Olympia or Rokker denim overshirt...thoughts? is the 2 cut differently enough I should go strictly by their chart
    don't go by their chart..you will end up with one that is too big. when i did it said XL. way too big. traded back for L. perfect (6' 185lb, wear over rukka winter and summer jackets on street and leather suit with "hump" on track).

many moto shops and bike dealers carry them. find local supplier and try them on if you are uncertain on sizing.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    don't go by their chart..you will end up with one that is too big. when i did it said XL. way too big. traded back for L. perfect (6' 185lb, wear over rukka winter and summer jackets on street and leather suit with "hump" on track).

many moto shops and bike dealers carry them. find local supplier and try them on if you are uncertain on sizing.
    one of the drawbacks of living in the sticks...not many dealers of anything...but the advice here sounds good- thanks. I will also be sure to purchase from an easy return vendor.

Places like revzilla.com have easy buy, try on, and exchange programs.
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by 178592 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are for the most ok. As others have said I hope they total the old new bike and you get a new one. Now get a lawyer and nail that drunk driving sob.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    Places like revzilla.com have easy buy, try on, and exchange programs.
    Yup. And their phone guys are generally very helpful too. I forget if they have the new model but I will def check there. I think I also have a bunch of points- unless my son got to them first. LOL

Wow great story and positive attitude. Glad you're ok!

one of the drawbacks of living in the sticks...not many dealers of anything...but the advice here sounds good- thanks. I will also be sure to purchase from an easy return vendor.
    I-88 down to I-81 then take the PA turnpike to Philly. Revzilla is in the old Navy Yard
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    I was told a large would fit me by their rep. I'm also 5'9" 180#'s. I had to adjust the buckles to about 1/2" longer to get that "fist" room they want you to have on the vest. The xl would have been way too big, the rep called it correctly. PM for direct contact number to the rep in Ca. if you're decide one is in your future.
    And that is why I ended up with a brand new Large for sale. I am bigger then 5'9" and 180 lbs and the Large was just not right for me. So I said well I have someone who would like the vest so I bought another in XL. It fits like a glove and the other person decided he did not have the money so I just kept it. I had thought he would come around since I got a good price on it buying two, but it is still hanging in plastic.

A vest is absolutely the BEST protection available riding a motorcycle. I consider them as important s a helmet and will ALWAYS wear one until I am done riding.

I looked at leatt braces and when I had my accident I had to wear a Miami neck brace and they remind me of that. Just could not wear one. I would think a vest is much better at absorbing impact and stabilizing your neck and head, plus, chest. hips, pelvis, and back.

Good question and I hope someone with the brace experience speaks up.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post

A vest is absolutely the BEST protection available riding a motorcycle. I consider them as important s a helmet and will ALWAYS wear one until I am done riding.... I would think a vest is much better at absorbing impact and stabilizing your neck and head, plus, chest. hips, pelvis, and back.
    How do you think you would have fared had you been using a vest when you had your crash?

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    How do you think you would have fared had you been using a vest when you had your crash?
    Since I high sided I think I would not have had the neck injury. My glasses were broke and my ear lobe ripped a bit. The only blood was from my ear lobe. And the only road rash was my right shoulder as when I hit I hit so hard the shoulder armor brush burned my shoulder from the impact. It appeared the helmet caught in the sand as I was in the Bad Lands, but that is only assumption from marks on the left side of the helmet bottom. The vest would have kept my neck strait or at least better stabilized.

I suffered 3 broken ribs, a broken left ankle, and have a plate with 9 screws in my right wrist/forearm to go with that neck picture.

I do not think I would have had the broken ribs, or the neck injury in the vest. That happened in 2010 and I was not aware of production vest at that time but I have owned the first series of the Turtle, and now the Turtle II.

I just am all about lessening the risk of riding.

I am so frustrated with drivers these days with all the distractions. And the cars are not allowing the culling of the stupid as they keep adding driving aids to keep the stupid driving longer
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

I liked the helite vest that I just looked at. Not sure if the XL-L will fit me over my jacket, it looks like it could be tight I will look into it and thanks goes out to the guys that shared all that info.

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to the drunk driver. He is a 21 yoa kid. He made mistakes, several that are often made by young people everywhere. I am not excusing his behavior but I do not have a desire to be vindictive either. Things he did wrong, drinking and driving, leaving and failing to render aid, lying to a police officer when caught. This kid is at a crossroads in his life. These offenses are serious enough that they could prevent him from becoming a responsible member of society if maximum penalties are applied. I do know there are other things hanging over his head as well but will not go into them at this time due to privacy issues and protecting my source of this information. In this instance I hope the kid can get the treatment he needs both legally and in other ways that let him turn his life around. Otherwise he will be a burden on our society as long as he is alive.

This might sound odd but I actually think I am going to be better off than the kid that hit me. It looks like he is going to be in for more punishment than I took in the accident.

One other thing I wanted to share. I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass. Toss in what ever other factors like luck, or any thing else you like and I am rather fortunate indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by fog820 View Post
    I liked the helite vest that I just looked at. Not sure if the XL-L will fit me over my jacket, it looks like it could be tight I will look into it and thanks goes out to the guys that shared all that info.

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to the drunk driver. He is a 21 yoa kid. He made mistakes, several that are often made by young people everywhere. I am not excusing his behavior but I do not have a desire to be vindictive either. Things he did wrong, drinking and driving, leaving and failing to render aid, lying to a police officer when caught. This kid is at a crossroads in his life. These offenses are serious enough that they could prevent him from becoming a responsible member of society if maximum penalties are applied. I do know there are other things hanging over his head as well but will not go into them at this time due to privacy issues and protecting my source of this information. In this instance I hope the kid can get the treatment he needs both legally and in other ways that let him turn his life around. Otherwise he will be a burden on our society as long as he is alive.

This might sound odd but I actually think I am going to be better off than the kid that hit me. It looks like he is going to be in for more punishment than I took in the accident.

One other thing I wanted to share. I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass. Toss in what ever other factors like luck, or any thing else you like and I am rather fortunate indeed.
    Thanks for sharing your attitude as well as the facts. As satisfying as "throwing the book" at someone may be- it isn't always the best in the long run but a good scare usually is- fine line there. Sometimes it takes several scares- fortunately mine didn't cause physical injury to anyone There is clearly an opportunity here and I'm damned if I can see how it should play out! Glad you are OK.

BTW when I called revzilla to get more info on sizing and express concern that I wanted to get it right without having to send it back risking both cost and possible loss of an expensive item- he offered to cover the return cost if a re-size was necessary. He made a note of that offer and when I called back to order it was all smooth. ALSO the turtle2 is apparently a little snugger fit so the one may be more to your size. Thanks again for getting me doubling down on safety gear.

Quote Originally Posted by fog820 View Post
    I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass.
    Your massive dense bones absolutely are far more resistant to fracture, and your weight helps keep your bones densely mineralized--but they have no role in preventing knee replacement--that is all about the various weight-bearing cartilages, and cartilage has poor blood supply so do not heal well, which is otherwise known as osteoarthritis. In fact your heavier weight accelerates cartilage damage and perhaps that's been a factor in why you were in for knee surgery. But also, you would be far more tolerant of physical trauma than I would. Both me and my wife both have established osteoporosis--we are fractures waiting to happen and clearly I'm nuts to be riding a motorcycle in this condition! Why tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at Death's Door overrode sanity, so here I am, riding into the sunset...

Quote Originally Posted by ncpbmw1953 View Post
    Your massive dense bones absolutely are far more resistant to fracture, and your weight helps keep your bones densely mineralized--but they have no role in preventing knee replacement--that is all about the various weight-bearing cartilages, and cartilage has poor blood supply so do not heal well, which is otherwise known as osteoarthritis. In fact your heavier weight accelerates cartilage damage and perhaps that's been a factor in why you were in for knee surgery. But also, you would be far more tolerant of physical trauma than I would. Both me and my wife both have established osteoporosis--we are fractures waiting to happen and clearly I'm nuts to be riding a motorcycle in this condition! Why tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at Death's Door overrode sanity, so here I am, riding into the sunset...
    Sorry that my truncated answer was misleading, the surgeon that provided that information also covered other things like muscle, ligaments, tendons, etc. The knee surgery was due to a fall and a knee being bent in ways it should not have been bent tearing some things. That is not intended to be a rude comment.

Cool

Just found out today that my new bike was in fact a total loss and I will be getting a new one. Damage was extensive. Next call will be to my dealer to let them know I will be needing a new bike. On a positive note they get to sell another bike.