• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Helmet and protective gear

don't go by their chart..you will end up with one that is too big. when i did it said XL. way too big. traded back for L. perfect (6' 185lb, wear over rukka winter and summer jackets on street and leather suit with "hump" on track).

many moto shops and bike dealers carry them. find local supplier and try them on if you are uncertain on sizing.

one of the drawbacks of living in the sticks...not many dealers of anything...but the advice here sounds good- thanks. I will also be sure to purchase from an easy return vendor.

Sorry to hear about your accident and glad you are for the most ok. As others have said I hope they total the old new bike and you get a new one. Now get a lawyer and nail that drunk driving sob.:)

Places like revzilla.com have easy buy, try on, and exchange programs.

Yup. And their phone guys are generally very helpful too. I forget if they have the new model but I will def check there. I think I also have a bunch of points- unless my son got to them first. LOL

one of the drawbacks of living in the sticks...not many dealers of anything...but the advice here sounds good- thanks. I will also be sure to purchase from an easy return vendor.

I-88 down to I-81 then take the PA turnpike to Philly. Revzilla is in the old Navy Yard

A vest is absolutely the BEST protection available riding a motorcycle. I consider them as important s a helmet and will ALWAYS wear one until I am done riding.... I would think a vest is much better at absorbing impact and stabilizing your neck and head, plus, chest. hips, pelvis, and back.

How do you think you would have fared had you been using a vest when you had your crash?

I liked the helite vest that I just looked at. Not sure if the XL-L will fit me over my jacket, it looks like it could be tight I will look into it and thanks goes out to the guys that shared all that info.

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to the drunk driver. He is a 21 yoa kid. He made mistakes, several that are often made by young people everywhere. I am not excusing his behavior but I do not have a desire to be vindictive either. Things he did wrong, drinking and driving, leaving and failing to render aid, lying to a police officer when caught. This kid is at a crossroads in his life. These offenses are serious enough that they could prevent him from becoming a responsible member of society if maximum penalties are applied. I do know there are other things hanging over his head as well but will not go into them at this time due to privacy issues and protecting my source of this information. In this instance I hope the kid can get the treatment he needs both legally and in other ways that let him turn his life around. Otherwise he will be a burden on our society as long as he is alive.

This might sound odd but I actually think I am going to be better off than the kid that hit me. It looks like he is going to be in for more punishment than I took in the accident.

One other thing I wanted to share. I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass. Toss in what ever other factors like luck, or any thing else you like and I am rather fortunate indeed.:thumb

I liked the helite vest that I just looked at. Not sure if the XL-L will fit me over my jacket, it looks like it could be tight I will look into it and thanks goes out to the guys that shared all that info.

Another thing to keep in mind with regards to the drunk driver. He is a 21 yoa kid. He made mistakes, several that are often made by young people everywhere. I am not excusing his behavior but I do not have a desire to be vindictive either. Things he did wrong, drinking and driving, leaving and failing to render aid, lying to a police officer when caught. This kid is at a crossroads in his life. These offenses are serious enough that they could prevent him from becoming a responsible member of society if maximum penalties are applied. I do know there are other things hanging over his head as well but will not go into them at this time due to privacy issues and protecting my source of this information. In this instance I hope the kid can get the treatment he needs both legally and in other ways that let him turn his life around. Otherwise he will be a burden on our society as long as he is alive.

This might sound odd but I actually think I am going to be better off than the kid that hit me. It looks like he is going to be in for more punishment than I took in the accident.

One other thing I wanted to share. I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass. Toss in what ever other factors like luck, or any thing else you like and I am rather fortunate indeed.:thumb

Thanks for sharing your attitude as well as the facts. As satisfying as "throwing the book" at someone may be- it isn't always the best in the long run but a good scare usually is- fine line there. Sometimes it takes several scares- fortunately mine didn't cause physical injury to anyone There is clearly an opportunity here and I'm damned if I can see how it should play out! Glad you are OK.

BTW when I called revzilla to get more info on sizing and express concern that I wanted to get it right without having to send it back risking both cost and possible loss of an expensive item- he offered to cover the return cost if a re-size was necessary. He made a note of that offer and when I called back to order it was all smooth. ALSO the turtle2 is apparently a little snugger fit so the one may be more to your size. Thanks again for getting me doubling down on safety gear.

I am a very large man. I have very dense bones. I was recently in for some knee surgery and the Dr. told me this and said it is unlikely that I would ever need knee replacement because of my massive dense bones. I believe this also helped mitigate my injuries. My wife is now convinced she would not survive an impact of the nature I sustained and she no longer wants to travel on the motorcycle. So my getting off rather easily compared to what could have happened is likely due to dressing for the crash not for the ride, and my very dense and strong bone structure, and large body mass.

Your massive dense bones absolutely are far more resistant to fracture, and your weight helps keep your bones densely mineralized--but they have no role in preventing knee replacement--that is all about the various weight-bearing cartilages, and cartilage has poor blood supply so do not heal well, which is otherwise known as osteoarthritis. In fact your heavier weight accelerates cartilage damage and perhaps that's been a factor in why you were in for knee surgery. But also, you would be far more tolerant of physical trauma than I would. Both me and my wife both have established osteoporosis--we are fractures waiting to happen and clearly I'm nuts to be riding a motorcycle in this condition! Why tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at Death's Door overrode sanity, so here I am, riding into the sunset...

Your massive dense bones absolutely are far more resistant to fracture, and your weight helps keep your bones densely mineralized--but they have no role in preventing knee replacement--that is all about the various weight-bearing cartilages, and cartilage has poor blood supply so do not heal well, which is otherwise known as osteoarthritis. In fact your heavier weight accelerates cartilage damage and perhaps that's been a factor in why you were in for knee surgery. But also, you would be far more tolerant of physical trauma than I would. Both me and my wife both have established osteoporosis--we are fractures waiting to happen and clearly I'm nuts to be riding a motorcycle in this condition! Why tiptoe thru life to arrive safely at Death's Door overrode sanity, so here I am, riding into the sunset...

Sorry that my truncated answer was misleading, the surgeon that provided that information also covered other things like muscle, ligaments, tendons, etc. The knee surgery was due to a fall and a knee being bent in ways it should not have been bent tearing some things. That is not intended to be a rude comment.

Just found out today that my new bike was in fact a total loss and I will be getting a new one. Damage was extensive. Next call will be to my dealer to let them know I will be needing a new bike. On a positive note they get to sell another bike.:thumb

Just found out today that my new bike was in fact a total loss and I will be getting a new one. Damage was extensive. Next call will be to my dealer to let them know I will be needing a new bike. On a positive note they get to sell another bike.:thumb

It’s no fun losing any vehicle. But often “total loss” is better news than “extensive damage but repairable.” Hope you are continuing to recover, and maybe enough time has passed that you can enjoy the process of buying a new bike.:thumb

It’s no fun losing any vehicle. But often “total loss” is better news than “extensive damage but repairable.” Hope you are continuing to recover, and maybe enough time has passed that you can enjoy the process of buying a new bike.:thumb

Thanks Vark. Overall so far the aftermath of this event has not been too bad. I expressed the desire to act in good faith with my insurance company and they believe that the other guys insurance company will be doing the same. Big thing here is all I want is to be where I was before the accident! I will be billing for loss of use, and want credit for my insurance premium that is unused and lost wages. All seems to be no issue with the parties concerned. We have yet to get bills and money involved yet so we will see how it plays out. My dealer is closed today but the website shows a 2020 model that looks like mine in the showroom.

I tend to think that anything that doesn't kill me (or take away from my quality of life) only gives me great stories! You've got a great story with what will likely be a fantastic ending. Your story could have ended differently, I'm glad you'll be fine and happy to read you are looking forward to getting back on the road. ATGATT

My new 2019 R1250RT was rear ended by a drunk driver early this morning while on the way home from work. I was on the bike and wearing a helmet and a kline jacket with armor. Temperature was 32 degrees and we had snow while I was at work. I had found some icy patches and the bike handles fine on ice. The impact was fairly severe and may have totaled my bike. The truck that hit me was only able to get another 2 to 3 miles before it was unable to continue. The driver was drunk and arrested. I went to the emergency room and was found to have sustained no broken bones and just some soft tissue damage, actually a pretty fair amount.

This was a hit and run accident and the perp was caught and charged.

I am just posting this to let folks know something I learned many decades ago. Dress for the crash not the ride. I firmly believe that the protective gear saved me from very serious injury. If my bike is a total loss I will be getting another just like it, my thoughts are it is at this point but I will check it out on Monday with the deputy that is conducting the investigation. As a former police officer and accident reconstructionist I am quite proud of the work done by the deputy in this event, he exhibited great professionalism and work effort. The same thing with the 911 dispatcher who handled the call. Further the Emergency room staff, as well as DRs and Nurses did a great job as did the EMS folks that transported me to the hospital. In this collision I firmly believe that I would not be in better shape had I been in a small car but have some different but equally significant injuries.

I was going to take the bike in for its first service tomorrow and was really looking forward to that. Instead I believe I will be having it hauled in to the dealer to see if it is a total loss, Then I will see about getting a 2020 model to replace it. I have not yet made the first payment for crying out loud.

I will continue to post and enjoy this board and the excellent community here.

I wish to add if you are on the fence about protective gear and helmets I really recommend good safety gear and wearing it, you might some day be glad you did.:thumb:wave:bikes

AMEN to that!! I was rear ended by a Semi-Trailer in '82 at a stop light. Without ALL the gear I would not be here today.

Ski

I expressed the desire to act in good faith with my insurance company and they believe that the other guys insurance company will be doing the same. Big thing here is all I want is to be where I was before the accident!

Good luck with that! Insurance companies are not out to please you - they are parasites out to make money for their companies! Just my $.02

Ski

Good luck with that! Insurance companies are not out to please you - they are parasites out to make money for their companies! Just my $.02

Ski

The desire and ability to make money is a good thing. I sure would not want to be insured by a company that was in business to lose money.

Ski

I think there is a better than even chance he'll get everything he asks for with this approach, at least based on my experience. In a motorcycle accident the thing the responsible insurance company fears more than anything are expensive and ongoing medical claims. When a claim is filed, an estimator at the insurance company sets a potential maximum cost to settle the claim. Actual or potential bodily injury liability greatly increases that estimate. If as the injured party, you have great leverage in when you are willing to sign a full release of the claim. If all it takes is a new bikes, gear, lost wages, etc. to get to a cap on the entire claim - and out of an open ended medical claim - most insurance companies will be more than willing to make you happy. I had such a situation when a car crossed into my lane on an icy bridge some years ago. I told the claims adjuster I would treat them fair if they would treat me fair, and the extent of my injuries were two broken ribs. This was with Progressive and they were more than fair. BUT, I believe that was because they really wanted my medical release from the claim. Not because they were "good guys" or anything silly like that. :)

I think there is a better than even chance he'll get everything he asks for with this approach, at least based on my experience. In a motorcycle accident the thing the responsible insurance company fears more than anything are expensive and ongoing medical claims. When a claim is filed, an estimator at the insurance company sets a potential maximum cost to settle the claim. Actual or potential bodily injury liability greatly increases that estimate. If as the injured party, you have great leverage in when you are willing to sign a full release of the claim. If all it takes is a new bikes, gear, lost wages, etc. to get to a cap on the entire claim - and out of an open ended medical claim - most insurance companies will be more than willing to make you happy. I had such a situation when a car crossed into my lane on an icy bridge some years ago. I told the claims adjuster I would treat them fair if they would treat me fair, and the extent of my injuries were two broken ribs. This was with Progressive and they were more than fair. BUT, I believe that was because they really wanted my medical release from the claim. Not because they were "good guys" or anything silly like that. :)

Not my personal experience, YMMV.

Finally I am back on the site

Not too long after my last post the internet connection died. With being in the recovery stage and finally getting back to work I had little time to spend on getting things hooked back up. Quick update I have a 2020 White RT just like my old one that I have been going back and forth to work on, I have about 1800 miles on it. I still have not settled the claim but I am working on that. I am also not fully recovered yet but things are still improving. I am about 85% I would say so far and hope to make a full recovery. I am liking the bike more and more the more time I spend on it. No trips yet just back and forth to work and the dealership to get some things done. Had my first service on the bike, next one not due for about 4000 miles.:wave

All the nice thoughts and suggestions have been much appreciated from everyone.:thumb:thumb

Back