• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sena 50!

jgoertz

I received an e-mail today for Sena, announcing their new Sena 50S & 50R! These units are "Mesh 2.0". The 50R is a very thin unit, looks about the same thickness as the SMH10R that I'm currently using. Sena says they're the unit of choice the GS competitors this year. I checked the Sena website to find pricing -- none there yet, only a notice that these units are "coming soon"! Battery life looked a little short, but there may be some options that can overcome that. One interesting feature is "wireless charging and updating". Maybe it will be possible to charge them wirelessly while riding, extending their battery life considerably!

Hope the pricing is competitive, and that Sena has fixed the problems/incompatibilities present on the 30!

Having suffered through SENA customer service with my Sena 20S I'll just keep right on using my CARDO Packtalk Bold, the Cardo Mesh works great.

One interesting feature is "wireless charging and updating". Maybe it will be possible to charge them wirelessly while riding, extending their battery life considerably!

!

It probably has to lay on a charger just like phones do.

Can you elaborate?

Water Resistant is not Waterproof - Cardo Waterproof - Sena Water Resistant - I believe manufactured to two different ISO standards

After several complaints of water intrusion the 20S was finally replaced, then it wouldn't download the firmware, replaced again after multiple complaints.

The 20S was quite noisy but better than the Sena 10.

Cardo Packtalk Bold has been excellent since acquisition. Mesh is seamless, quiet, no snap crackle pop.
I've had excellent customer service on the one unit which had a MicroUSB port issue, likely the riders fault in that it was charging while riding and he removed his helmet and likely pulled the cable too tight hurting the charging port.

The Mesh has worked seamlessly with up to six participants - re-connects automatically when a rider rejoins after separation.

Water Resistant is not Waterproof - Cardo Waterproof - Sena Water Resistant - I believe manufactured to two different ISO standards

After several complaints of water intrusion the 20S was finally replaced, then it wouldn't download the firmware, replaced again after multiple complaints.

Cardo Packtalk Bold has been excellent since acquisition. Mesh is seamless, quiet, no snap crackle pop.
I've had excellent customer service on the one unit which had a MicroUSB port issue, likely the riders fault in that it was charging while riding and he removed his helmet and likely pulled the cable too tight hurting the charging port.

The Mesh has worked seamlessly with up to six participants - re-connects automatically when a rider rejoins after separation.

Thank you. So the real issue is water resistance vs water proof?

Thank you. So the real issue is water resistance vs waterproof?

Water Intrusion was the original issue, I don't have the email and web exchanges with their "customer service" any longer.
They just weren't helpful. Took forever to get back to me, took forever to do what the representatives said they were going to do. Bottom line is, if you used the 20S in the rain it stopped working after a while.

Having switched to the Packtalk Bold I then learned what really clear seamless communication was like with no annoying snaps, crackles, and pops. Pairing is much simpler, re-connecting works.

The Sena 50 may be better, one would hope so, the company may have improved. You might be able to check them both, Cardo and Sena, at Great Falls.

I guess I got lucky, 3 days of torrential rain in BC heading to Ak. summer 18 with my sena 20s running full time music. It kept functioning and still functions to this day having had at least another several days of rain to fail if it was going to. :thumb

My brother and I went with the Cardo duo pack but took both his and the other helmet back east so owns both units now. Cardo units were easier to pair to each other, mp3 player and Nav4's than my 20s. Batts lasted about the same time as the 20s, I get 11 hours or a little more from a fully charged batt on the sena 20s.

Back