• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

G310GS Lowering Kit

jbtex

My wife has a G310R at the moment and is interested in switching over to a G310GS. At issue is the seat height even with a lower seat being somewhat of a challenge. She isn't looking to entirely flat foot it, but decidedly something that doesn't keep her on her toes when not moving.

I've looked around and it seems that there are a few options to bring the height of the G310GS down, fully realizing that it alters clearance. However, the intended use is for riding on our county dirt roads and not completely off-roading it. Thus the willingness to lose some of that clearance.

With that in mind, has anyone lowered the GS and if so, how did you go about it? Any input is appreciated, including your experience with the lowered bike.

You can lower it with a dog bone and cutting the kickstand, or go the higher end route with a Hyperpro Shock with Progressive fork springs which will lower the bike up to 2.5".

Once you lower a 310 GS...aren't you somewhat left with the 310 R you already have? Since you only have plans to ride dirt roads, might it not be easier to just put some dual sport tires on the 310 R that already fits your wife?

Just a thought.

Once you lower a 310 GS...aren't you somewhat left with the 310 R you already have? Since you only have plans to ride dirt roads, might it not be easier to just put some dual sport tires on the 310 R that already fits your wife?

Just a thought.

That was what what we were trying to do, but finding dual sport tires is what proves to be difficult. That, the suspension, and the more upright seating position are added factors.

I spoke with Ted over at Beemershop this afternoon and I think we’ll go with a lowered suspension from him, should we continue pursuing the GS route.

Now, if we can find dual sport tires, that might change things up a bit.

I just got used to falling over off-roading my KTM 640 Adventure. With a 37” seat height I can only get 2 toes down. No biggie!

Avon Trailriders are another possibility, if a 120 series tire can be fitted to the front. The AV53/AV54 Trailriders come in 150/60-17 rear and 120/70-17 front. According to online specs, the G310R comes OEM with 110/70-17 rubber.

Best,
DeVern

I just got used to falling over off-roading my KTM 640 Adventure. With a 37” seat height I can only get 2 toes down. No biggie!

Falling over is not an option, according to my wife, at least not if it can be avoided due to the height of the bike. :-D

I'm sure someone has gone up/down a little bit sizes to make something fit. Dennis Kirk says these Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR's will fit... I have no first-hand experience with them...

Avon Trailriders are another possibility, if a 120 series tire can be fitted to the front. The AV53/AV54 Trailriders come in 150/60-17 rear and 120/70-17 front. According to online specs, the G310R comes OEM with 110/70-17 rubber.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks for the suggestions! The Avon could potentially fit the bill. The rear definitely. The front might be a possibility. We also found a great used 2018 G310GS owned by what looks to be a fellow MOA member. The dealer up in Michigan is great to work with, so we'll give that a try before make the decision on whether to keep the G310R and go the different tire route on it.

Appreciate the input!

Just a thought.

No, the 310GS has tons of travel. I lowered mine 2.5" and you could barely see the difference. You still have a 19' front/17" rear, the ability to turn off ABS, the back rack, , the front fairing and a windshield. It's a far cry from being a 310r if you lower it.

IMG_8229.jpg

No, the 310GS has tons of travel. I lowered mine 2.5" and you could barely see the difference. You still have a 19' front/17" rear, the ability to turn off ABS, the back rack, , the front fairing and a windshield. It's a far cry from being a 310r if you lower it.

View attachment 77278

Thanks for the reminder of the differences. I would tend to think that the ability to defeat the ABS and having the larger front wheel are the biggest differences and benefits to taking the bike off-road compared to an R, even if the clearance ended up being about the same.

Curious, how did you determine how much to take off the side stand after the bike was lowered?

View attachment 77278

Very nice looking moto. Even lowered it still looks sharp.

I also like the sticker on your top box. I have one of those on my bicycle.:thumb

Do you ride two up on that GS? :)

My wife and I will putt around town on my 310 but I've never taken us both out on the highways.

Do you ride two up on that GS? :)

My wife and I will putt around town on my 310 but I've never taken us both out on the highways.

Voni and I each have G310GS bikes. We have ridden them each over 20,000 miles. They are excellent one-up bikes. We have ridden them two-up a couple of times for short distances: once about 25 miles and once about 50 miles. They work OK two-up in a pinch, like to get home when you drop off a car for repairs. I would not recommend them for people who plan to do a lot of two-up riding. There just are better bikes for that purpose.

Just curious about the Remus exhaust!

I don't want to high-jack the thread but I would like to know more about the Remus exhaust on that G 310GS. I've got an Ackrapovic racing carbon system already so I'm just curious.

Back on subject a little, I had an issue with comfort in even short distance related to traffic light to traffic light riding here in SWFL. Sargent just got my seat back to me and it may be the solution to the tip toe and discomfort issue. First distance ride tomorrow so I will report the results.

Back on subject a little, I had an issue with comfort in even short distance related to traffic light to traffic light riding here in SWFL. Sargent just got my seat back to me and it may be the solution to the tip toe and discomfort issue. First distance ride tomorrow so I will report the results.

You know, that's one thing I can't complain a bit about with my 310 GS. The seat seems to fit me very well. I can't say that about too many bikes I have owned. :thumb

I don't want to high-jack the thread but I would like to know more about the Remus exhaust on that G 310GS. I've got an Ackrapovic racing carbon system already so I'm just curious.

The REmax sounds amazing, and love the positioning of it. You will lose top end speed with it, tho. I think I lost 5-10MPH in the top end. My club members say they can hear me coming from three blocks away lol (as they were sitting outside the motel in Quebec).

Back