Thread: BMW Performance Center

One Man Wolfpack Kent Niederhofer's Avatar

BMW Performance Center

I am considering taking the BMW Performance Center's two-day off-road training course in Greer, SC but discovered that a similar two-day course is offered by SMART Adventures in Barrie, ON, Canada which appears (or insinuates) that it is affiliated with the BMW Performance Centre. Do any of you know whether this Canada-based alternative (which is just four hours from where I live) is legitimately part of the BMW Motorrad training offering or is just pure marketing bull? Is the training identical to that offered in Greer, SC as well? Any insights would be appreciated but I don't need thoughts on considering RawHyde or others -- I just want to understand these two options. Thanks.

Kent - I just looked at the SMART Adventures website. It does appear that the company has an affiliation with BMW Motorrad of Canada, and Canadian BMW motorcycle dealers. The school in Greer, SC is owned and operated by BMW of North America.

It appears that instructors in both schools have received training at BMW Motorrad. When I attended the on-road course in Greer in 2011 it was stated that the instructors there had been to Germany for training. All the instruction occurred on the facilities of BMW in SC.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Niederhofer View Post
    I am considering taking the BMW Performance Center's two-day off-road training course in Greer, SC but discovered that a similar two-day course is offered by SMART Adventures in Barrie, ON, Canada which appears (or insinuates) that it is affiliated with the BMW Performance Centre. Do any of you know whether this Canada-based alternative (which is just four hours from where I live) is legitimately part of the BMW Motorrad training offering or is just pure marketing bull? Is the training identical to that offered in Greer, SC as well? Any insights would be appreciated but I don't need thoughts on considering RawHyde or others -- I just want to understand these two options. Thanks.
    Yes, Clinton Smout's course in Barrie is BMW approved, and an excellent course! I highly recommend it. Many BMW people from Michigan have attended at Barrie.