Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Ford vs Ferrari - The Movie!

  1. #16
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We skipped it because the trailer we saw at the theater made it look like a horror movie.
    We thought the same and didn't plan to see it...until our son saw it and encouraged us to go. It's really a good one, with many twists and turns to the plot. Daniel Craig continues to show his amazing acting chops.

    It's one of those movies that got a round of applause at the end.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  2. #17
    Registered User Bob_M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    1,911

    Me & a GT40

    My brother in law bought this for about 13K in the early 70s Recently sold it for considerably more. It was a runner and he would take it to Willow Springs on "Cobra" days. I sat with him for a session and we had it up to 140 on the back stretch, but his style was to loaf on the straights and rail through the corners. Really a small car, and there is nothing to hold onto when pitched around when cornering. He has had it in TV commercials and the producer asked him to fishtail through a turn. He replied that Ford had spent millions to make a car that would not do that and flatly refused.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #18
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_M View Post
    My brother in law bought this for about 13K in the early 70s Recently sold it for considerably more. It was a runner and he would take it to Willow Springs on "Cobra" days. I sat with him for a session and we had it up to 140 on the back stretch, but his style was to loaf on the straights and rail through the corners. Really a small car, and there is nothing to hold onto when pitched around when cornering. He has had it in TV commercials and the producer asked him to fishtail through a turn. He replied that Ford had spent millions to make a car that would not do that and flatly refused.
    THAT is a cool story! I can only imagine what that car is worth today. Thanks for sharing.
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  4. #19
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    4,059
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    Movie and a Bag of Popcorn - $21 I about $hit
    Yeah. Thats the problem.

    Joe
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  5. #20
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,067
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    THAT is a cool story! I can only imagine what that car is worth today. Thanks for sharing.
    Last month at a Mecum auction the 1966 movie car sold for $484,000.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...ord-gt40-mkii/

    The newer Fort GT also brings good money.
    This 2006 sold for $429,000
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...itage-edition/

    When I was at the Kansas City auction they had 3 of the newer Ford GT.
    20191206_104307.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  6. #21
    Dances With Sheep GREGFEELER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Boise, ID
    Posts
    3,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Last month at a Mecum auction the 1966 movie car sold for $484,000.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...ord-gt40-mkii/

    The newer Fort GT also brings good money.
    This 2006 sold for $429,000
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...itage-edition/

    When I was at the Kansas City auction they had 3 of the newer Ford GT.
    20191206_104307.jpg
    Do that they checks?
    Last edited by GREGFEELER; 02-07-2020 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Wrong word
    Greg Feeler
    Ambassador & amateur K-Bike collector, it seems
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

  7. #22
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    7,067
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGFEELER View Post
    Do they take checks?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  8. #23
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Last month at a Mecum auction the 1966 movie car sold for $484,000.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...ord-gt40-mkii/

    The newer Fort GT also brings good money.
    This 2006 sold for $429,000
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...itage-edition/

    When I was at the Kansas City auction they had 3 of the newer Ford GT.
    20191206_104307.jpg
    Not a bad rate of return on a car that sold for around $150K when new.
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  9. #24
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    1,334
    I know a guy who has a new one, or at least he did when I was at his house. A few folks are headed up there on Sunday I asked them to see if he still has it. He also has one of the most incredible BMW bike collections you've ever seen.
    IMG_1404-L.jpg
    IMG_1412-L.jpg
    IMG_1407-L.jpg
    IMG_1496-L.jpg
    Last edited by skibum69; 02-07-2020 at 05:21 PM.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  10. #25
    3 Red Bricks
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pleasanton, Ca.
    Posts
    4,845
    [QUOTE=Lee;1192601]Last month at a Mecum auction the 1966 movie car sold for $484,000.
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0120-39...ord-gt40-mkii/
    [\QUOTE]

    And that's not a real GT40! The movie cars were all replicas built by the South African company Superformance.

    REAL GT40s can go for near 10 million dollars! No wonder they used replicas in the movie.
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/M...0-mk-ii/692159





    LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

    Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

    Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

  11. #26
    Registered User powwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bend, OR
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I know a guy who has a new one, or at least he did when I was at his house. A few folks are headed up there on Sunday I asked them to see if he still has it. He also has one of the most incredible BMW bike collections you've ever seen.
    IMG_1404-L.jpg
    IMG_1412-L.jpg
    IMG_1407-L.jpg
    IMG_1496-L.jpg
    I have a friend who has one in the same paint scheme. Those things are scary fast to drive!
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

  12. #27
    Carroll Shelby founded the Terlingua Racing Team when he owned about 250,000 acres down here in the Texas Big Bend. His ranch has now been sold off in parcels ranging down to 5 acre tracts, called the Terlingua Ranch. But years later Mr. Shelby began hosting Cobra rallies at Lajitas, Texas, about ten miles west of the Terlingua ghost town. Even after his death the rallies have continued with car-type field events and drag races on the Terlingua airport runway. Also they do some timed speed runs on TX Hwy 118 south of Alpine (which runs past our house). Every year we get 40 or so Cobra Mustangs of all ages here to participate. They are fun to watch.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 02-10-2020 at 03:11 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  13. #28
    skibum69 skibum69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    New Melbourne, NL
    Posts
    1,334
    He still has it
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

  14. #29
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,231
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

  15. #30
    sMiling Voni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    53 sMiles south of Alpine, TX USA
    Posts
    6,231
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador Emeritus / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million 100 thousand BMW sMiles

Similar Threads

  1. Ford GT sighting
    By henzilla in forum Campfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-05-2019, 01:39 AM
  2. A Ferrari engine mated with a BMW gearbox
    By miairhead in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-16-2012, 12:34 AM
  3. ford dashboard
    By ISAMEMON in forum Straight 6 K1600 GT/GTL/B
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 02:33 PM
  4. ferrari motorcycle design
    By 35634 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 03:20 PM
  5. How to crack up a Ferrari
    By The_Veg in forum Campfire
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-25-2006, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •