Thread: 2004 R1100s rear tire size

2004 R1100s rear tire size

Good afternoon Forum,

I have a 2004 R1100s, I am new to motorcycling, 18 months, 11K miles on my "new" bike. I need to buy new tires, i have decided to try the Dunlap Roadsmart III tires.
    My question is, how do I determine if my rear wheel is the optional 5.5 inch wheel or the regular 5 inch wheel? Before you grin and conclude "what a fool", I can not see any markings on the wheel to indicate which and it is not easy to measure within the half inch margin with the tire on the wheel. Are there other features of the bikes that came with the optional 5.5 inch wheel to signify I have that model? The bike has ABS & the Laser exhaust pipes. Is there a designation on the wheel that I have missed that would clear this up?

I appreciate any insight you can give me,
    Matt Michael
    Sacramento CA

Carfont,

Since you are in the Sacramento area, I would just go to A&S cycle and see what they have to offer. You can go to Revzilla and enter you Make, Year and Model and the site will show you what tires are available for you stock wheel size. You can then purchase them online and get free shipping to your home. Of course, you'd still have to take them to a shop to get them mounted and balance unless you have a tire changer in your garage. Not sure how much a shop will charge to mount and balance tires bought somewhere else, or if they will offer free m & b if you purchase tires at their shop. YMMV.

I just bought a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 3's from Revzilla for my 2013 R1200RT. Because I live in a rural area of Montana, the internet is my friend. I will have to still have them mounted at the local shop (and pay for the privilege) but I knew this and am willing to pay that expense.

Again, maybe A&S may be your friend...

Cheers,
    Mark

Look at the right side of the wheel, just behind the brake disc on the spokes. There are numbers cast into the wheel which indicate the size. It is either a 5.0 or 5.5 inch width. The 5.0 uses a 170 tire while the 5.5 can use either a 170 or 180. Some people claim that the 170 provides slightly quicker turning response. I could feel the difference on my Ducati but haven't tried it with the BMW. The standard wheel is a 5.0 with the 5.5 fitted to the Boxer Cup bikes.

Frank
    '17 R1200RS 19,000 mi. '03 R1100S BCR#6/200 13,000 mi. '85 K100/1100RS 326,000 mi. '16 R1200RS (gone) '11 R1200RT (gone) '05 R1200ST (gone) '99 R1100S (gone) '96 Ducati 900SS/SP (gone) '92 K100RS (gone) 500,000+ BMW miles

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 51797 View Post
    The standard wheel is a 5.0 with the 5.5 fitted to the Boxer Cup bikes.
    ....except for those people who ticked the 5.5 inch wheel option box when they bought their standard R1100S.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by carfont View Post
    Good afternoon Forum,

My question is, how do I determine if my rear wheel is the optional 5.5 inch wheel or the regular 5 inch wheel?
    Post #5 in answer to your original question.....

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...on-2004-R1100s

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    ....except for those people who ticked the 5.5 inch wheel option box when they bought their standard R1100S.
    Oh, the 2 percent that actually specified a bike build as opposed to those who bought a bike off the floor.

I did benefit because San Jose BMW had a couple of dozen 5" wheels from folks who bought bikes and then substituted the 5.5" wheels. I bought two 17 inch 5" wheels to replace 18 inch R1100RS wheels. I thought the $50 price for a new or almost new wheel was a bargain.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Oh, the 2 percent that actually specified a bike build as opposed to those who bought a bike off the floor.
    I've never been accused of being a "2 percenter".

Rear wheel size on a 2004 R1100s

Thanks Frank,
    I will look at the Right side for the 5 or 5.5 designation. If the original purchaser did option the 5.5 it sounds like it would have been quite rare. Chances are it is a 170 width tire I will most likely be buying.

Thank you all for chiming in. You are all a valuable resource to me and I appreciate you!

Matt