• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Convert

freetimeintx

Good Evening All;

Not new to motorcycling, but new to BMW, a relatively recent Harley convert I suppose. It just seemed that almost every time I took the HD Road Glide out in TX I ended up on a road that would end up being dirt or gravel! So I figured that was a sign...

Ken

Welcome to the forum and the MOA. Sounds like you're leaning towards a GS or have you already bought one?

Ken, welcome from the coast of Kansas. Glad to have you on the forum. You will get lots of advice and opinions here, some of it will be helpful. There certainly are a few models of BMW that will fit your situation. Hope you find one that works for you.

Welcome! While I never owned a Harley, I get your point. I never wanted an Adventure class. Then I moved to the interior of Alaska. Adventure class just makes sense up here. There’s only so much asphalt. Now, I can’t imagine wanting to ride anything else.

@skibum69: It just happened by chance that I already bought one. I couldn't pass up a much more than reasonable price on a demo 2016 model in 2018.

Good for you, what size did you get?

I bought an R1100 S that popped up and I couldn't refuse one of only 2 in the province for a reasonable price.

Good Evening All;

Not new to motorcycling, but new to BMW, a relatively recent Harley convert I suppose. It just seemed that almost every time I took the HD Road Glide out in TX I ended up on a road that would end up being dirt or gravel! So I figured that was a sign...

Happy to hear you were keeping your eyes on the end of the road, and U had the compunction to keep going. :thumb Hope you enjoy your "dual sport" machine, and when the opportunity arises you might consider some advanced training. If you've seen any videos, you'll understand that the machine is probably a lot more capable than the rider. All you have to do is match your skill level to the machine's bit by bit. It's money well spent. Patagonia down in Argentina/Chile are certainly on our Bucket List, but we'd likely go with a modest-sized tour group. I proposed while riding 2-up in the Dolomites; that's worked out pretty well over the years {headed to Alaska this year}. :dance

Wilkommen to the Forum, and "HAPPY TRAILS" on the 1200!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

A 1200GS will get you about as far as you want to go in comfort. Certainly not a "trail" bike but very capable in many many conditions. There is a massive amount of aftermarket support for these machines depending how you want to use it. I would highly recommend spending some time learning a bit about the range of farkles to figure out what you want. There are plenty of people on this forum who are well versed and I would also send you to Adventure Rider https://advrider.com Where you'll undoubtable end up down a rabbit hole. Do some learning before you start dropping wads of cash.

Probably no GS's in my future as I already have an R65 and the R1100 plus a couple of KTM's for offload use. Now I want to win the R100RS raffle and maybe a 1250 RS when I win the lottery.

@HSVPhil - Training has been/is part of the plan. Learn something new every day, if not the day is wasted. However, I've no intention of anything too arduous or single track-oriented. I needed a 'swiss army knife' of motorcycle, and this certainly seems to fit the bill so far. As for 'farkles', if it still runs, rides well, and I'm comfortable (*most important*), then increases in 'farkle funding' easily lead to decreases in fuel funding. (I still can't seem to get used to that term. 'Farkles'. Is there a history behind it I should know?)

@skibum69 Ironically, I met Carl Parker, publisher at ADVrider, last fall at a ride near Chantilly, VA. We ended up riding for the better part of a few hours together out there.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As for 'farkles', if it still runs, rides well, and I'm comfortable (*most important*), then increases in 'farkle funding' easily lead to decreases in fuel funding. (I still can't seem to get used to that term. 'Farkles'. Is there a history behind it I should know?)

@skibum69 Ironically, I met Carl Parker, publisher at ADVrider, last fall at a ride near Chantilly, VA. We ended up riding for the better part of a few hours together out there.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

so you say but I'm willing to bet you'll get sucked in by something shiny.:ha

Sorry, I don't remember the history of "farkle" but I seem to remember reading something about it on ADV. Either way I find it a useful term in to Moto world of banter.

Back