• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 K1600GT Sport Reverse Gear

mehrten

Mehrten
We've had our K1600GT Sport now for a bit over a year and I have yet to use the reverse gear trip.

After watching our sales guy's demonstration, I have been hesitant to give it a try. It was a bit scary inside the showroom.

Anyone using their reverse?

Techniques?

Thanks.

Reverse

K1600B, I am thankful for it's reverse feature. Don't use it much, usually in tight situations or a slight incline. Took a little getting used to, and works smoothly. No jumping or feeling of losing control.

reverse

Based on the lack of posts I would agree. When I/you get into the size, weight, profile of these bikes I do appreciate it. In close parking spots much better control backing in or out. I know many of the Gold Wings and some Harley's have it. Don't know about the bigger Japanese brands. I've owned 14 motorcycles over the years and never had the need. Got to the K1600B I appreciate it. Use it until you get comfortable. It is controllable and not jumpy. Enjoy!

Based on the lack of posts I would agree. When I/you get into the size, weight, profile of these bikes I do appreciate it. In close parking spots much better control backing in or out. I know many of the Gold Wings and some Harley's have it. Don't know about the bigger Japanese brands. I've owned 14 motorcycles over the years and never had the need. Got to the K1600B I appreciate it. Use it until you get comfortable. It is controllable and not jumpy. Enjoy!

There have been a few times I have needed to enlist help to push me backwards from an awkward parking spot. Even with small bikes I have finally learned to never nose the bike down slope if backing out will be required.

I have a 14 K16GT which doesn't have reverse so I can't personally comment on how they do or don't work BUT I'm frequently on the K1600forum and it's not a very well designed or used feature. Most guys don't feel very positive about it, some use it a bunch.
I've never put myself in a situation where I've needed reverse so I can't say I'm a proponent.

I've used the reverse in the showroom here at the dealership and love it. I pulse it, give it a bit to get it going and let the inertia do the trick, and repeat until the bike is where I want it to be. It is a godsend,and I wish my '15 K1600GT had it.

I use reverse each time I ride. I back it out of my motorcycle garage up a hill to a flat spot about 20' from where I start. Love it. My Aprilia I have to push but it doesn't weigh anything close to what the K does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have used it to get familiar with it but I think of it like the spare tire in my car, I'm glad it's there but hope not to need it! :dunno

Reverse

I use reverse each time I ride. I back it out of my motorcycle garage up a hill to a flat spot about 20' from where I start. Love it. My Aprilia I have to push but it doesn't weigh anything close to what the K does.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Well, I have only tried once to walk my GTL out of a parking spot that was nose down no more than 10 degrees from level. I don't think I said "son-of-a-bi***" more times in 2 minutes in my whole life. It was like trying to back the USS Nimitz up Niagara Falls. Reverse would have been ideal for that situation. My next K will have reverse.

I don't have reverse on my 2015 GT, but I do use it on the bikes here at the dealership. It is a heavenly piece of technology. How I use it is I get on the bike, put it in neutral, push the reverse button so that "R" shows up as your gear, then press and hold the starter button until the bike begins to reverse. I tend to push the starter button,get it moving, pull in the clutch, then repeat, press the starter button, get it moving, pull in the clutch so that I back it up in incremental moves and I am able to control the reverse direction without going too fast and letting it get away from me. It feels a bit disconcerting at first, as you are not used to it, but it gets easy each time you use it. Practice it when you can, and when you really need it, you will be glad to have it!

I've used the reverse in the showroom here at the dealership and love it. I pulse it, give it a bit to get it going and let the inertia do the trick, and repeat until the bike is where I want it to be. It is a godsend,and I wish my '15 K1600GT had it.

Yep, I agree. Loved it on my LT, a bit different on the Grand America. It does move you backward a little fast, but pulsing it is the key, and works great.

I'm on an RT now, but I used it pretty frequently on the 2007 K1200LT I had. It was nice to not have to be so particular about where I parked it.

1st after reverse

I read somewhere that a few folks had their k bike get stuck in reverse. The proper procedure to prevent this from ever happening is to be sure to take it out of reverse,then into 1st gear before putting it in neutral and shutting off the ignition. I use reverse quite abit during my winter trips when the bike is FULLY loaded.

Back