• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Small rant…

I have a small rant as well. I know the gps items are often in trouble with updates due to construction but I have had some real corkers from the little boxes recently. This is not just the BMW nav 6 although today it tried to direct me onto a highway quite a way past the on ramp to said highway for one thing, another time today showed me at a location on two occasions when the location was nowhere in sight and more than a quarter mile away. The device in my wife's car has done similar things to us when we are traveling in it. So have the I phones. My favorite with the I phones was in Tyler, Texas. My wife and I were there and decided to try and get some BBQ. The I phone found a Spring Creek BBQ and gave us directions, turned out it was the Spring Creek Baptist Church and they were not having BBQ that day.

There are times I miss the gas station maps that we used to tape onto the gas tanks of our motorcycles, anyone else remember those days?:scratch

John:

When I got my R1200RS last spring I had the dealer install the small SW Motech ring mount tank bag. This is the little 7 litre one, and I leave it on the bike all the time. It's really elegant.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-quick-lock-evo-engage-tank-bag

Glad you like it! I have a removable tank bag as well on the 2006 RT. I don't think I'll move it to the 2014 RT. I'm happy with the trunk and panniers when I tour, but I also like to ride the bike without luggage. It's like a sportbike…

John

I have a small rant as well. I know the gps items are often in trouble with updates due to construction but I have had some real corkers from the little boxes recently. This is not just the BMW nav 6 although today it tried to direct me onto a highway quite a way past the on ramp to said highway for one thing, another time today showed me at a location on two occasions when the location was nowhere in sight and more than a quarter mile away. The device in my wife's car has done similar things to us when we are traveling in it. So have the I phones. My favorite with the I phones was in Tyler, Texas. My wife and I were there and decided to try and get some BBQ. The I phone found a Spring Creek BBQ and gave us directions, turned out it was the Spring Creek Baptist Church and they were not having BBQ that day.

There are times I miss the gas station maps that we used to tape onto the gas tanks of our motorcycles, anyone else remember those days?:scratch

Rant away! :wave

I think I have an old tank bag with a map pocket around somewhere. The plastic is probably both yellow and opaque by now!

John

Looked at the manual site and found this.
R 1200 RT - 0368 Euro Hexhead
R 1200 RT - 0388 USA Hexhead
R 1200 RT - 0430 Euro Camhead
R 1200 RT - 0440 USA Camhead
What the heck does this mean? How do I determine which one to download?

As shown in the link, it's characters 4-7 of your VIN.

Useful Information in Last 7 Digits of VIN

In the BMW motorcycle and automobile world, the last seven digits of the VIN of the vehicle hold a lot of information. Getting it out of the system involves using a VIN decoder. The one which I like is found here: https://www.mdecoder.com/

After only minor rigamarole the website will tell you when your bike was officially produced, color, and most of the equipment on it when produced. For 4-wheelers, the models are more diverse and the equipment list is longer, but it's still pretty-much complete. You may have to use "Google-Translate" or a German/English dictionary for some of the information.

I still ride with a map in the clear pocket on my tank bag. No tape required. Sometimes it is a page torn from an atlas. Sometimes a state map. Sometimes a map printed from Google maps or other software. A claw hammer is a tool. It doesn't do everything perfectly. A GPS is a tool. Neither does it. I read about folks who make a wrong turn onto the railroad tracks or down the boat ramp into the lake. Their brains are a tool. .......

If you get a Sargent seat it has a storage space. But that is an expensive way to store the manual

Back