Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: BMW Test Facility

wanderer

In the 60s it was Big Brother

Now it is in every thing! We all know and love our smart phones....and all the "free" apps we down load and use.....most are watching, reporting and selling our data.

Also your home "smart"devices are great miners and sellers of our info. Alexa, Amazon Primefire sticks, your ring door bell, any smart appliance.

A friend told me he was using his voice controlled Amazon Prime Fire stick to search for some movie he wanted with an old Mercedes in it. The next day he started getting lots of Pop Up adds from the local Mercedes dealer!!

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    So far all of the vehicles I own are old enough they don't know **** about me.

edit: After reading this article I'm reminded of the author's son. It was on a trip to the CroMag rally I stopped in Montreal to see friends and was invited to a track day at St. Eustache (sp?) to use my buddy's KTM 640 on the track with a session on his Ducati 900. Back to Costa's 12 year old son...he was riding too and several times he blew by me on the outside of corners on the 125 he was riding, laughing and waving every time. Oh the joy I felt the one time I got him on the staights and blew by him like he was standing still! I forget his name but he was a good kid and was a good rider on the track even at 12 years old.
    Doesn't the Saskatchewan Gov't Insurance mandate the installation of a tracking system?
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
    Now it is in every thing! We all know and love our smart phones....and all the "free" apps we down load and use.....most are watching, reporting and selling our data.

Also your home "smart"devices are great miners and sellers of our info. Alexa, Amazon Primefire sticks, your ring door bell, any smart appliance.

A friend told me he was using his voice controlled Amazon Prime Fire stick to search for some movie he wanted with an old Mercedes in it. The next day he started getting lots of Pop Up adds from the local Mercedes dealer!!
    George Orwell was an optimist
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

All the new smart technology listens to you and watches you on all of the devices. That's why you get ads about things you were talking bout because your phone etc was listening. Part of why I keep a piece of tape over the camera on my laptop. We're trying to keep all the new smart crap out of our house except phones and tablets. I read a blurb about a Sonos device being used in a murder trial not too long ago. Thankfully all of my Sonos components are pre voice activation.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    As a Borough Council member, I can offer the "warped" perspective that this information could allow a municipality or state to eliminate all the manpower associated with traffic speed control. At the state level, that's a savings of at least $200,000 per patrol officer when you consider salary, benefits and supporting equipment cost.

So, my prediction is...........the insurance company is going to get the info because we can't afford police officers for traffic control
    HUSH your mouth! That rational may sound good from a govt POV, but it removes any on the spot recognition of exigent circumstances which a cop with half a brain could evaluate- And the "let the judicial system decide" attitude assumes that one can take the time for court, go through the pleading rigamaroll etc etc. Roboticketing is one of those things that sounds logical but in practice is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    HUSH your mouth! That rational may sound good from a govt POV, but it removes any on the spot recognition of exigent circumstances which a cop with half a brain could evaluate- And the "let the judicial system decide" attitude assumes that one can take the time for court, go through the pleading rigamaroll etc etc. Roboticketing is one of those things that sounds logical but in practice is a nightmare.
    FWIW, in MA in order to receive a citation for a speeding or moving violation in a vehicle, a police officer has to witness the event, and issue the citation at the time. As a result, we don't have either speed or red-light cameras here.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

Remember being warned about Big Brother and the advocates shouting down the cautionistas as alarmists? It's inevitable progress, they said, for our own good. What harm could well meaning eyes helping us through every phase of our miserable lives? Why do you think Orwell, Vonnegut and Bradbury wrote their books? Others said, motorcycles are a completely different topic. AI has begun in its most inauspicious ways. Helping dummies. Yup, motorcycles are political too.

Irony is many are trying to preserve making, doing with hands while progress hurries forward with hands off. The final straw is laying on couch, beer intravenously, rally's on virtual reality goggles, snacks delivered and fed by AI, voting by chip technology implanted, background musack pumped in screened for hate thought, society asleep gets exactly what it deserves. Sell yer old stuff if you want.

The World Fair in Seattle, 1962, couldn't be built today. A place where I saw the first four cylinder 250 Honda used to win the first grands prix by a Japanese rider. I was dumbfounded. Thought to me self, who, how, did they do this? Fast forward 58 years, who, how did they do this?

Progress morphing, marching backwards? Progress running its inevitable course? Motorcycles the embodiment of freedom, used to monitor people, for their good? Counterintuitive thinking monitoring civility, freedom, motorcycling. There's a scenario Bradbury missed. Thompson too. George in The Time Machine couldn't believe he could zoom ahead thousands of years only to witness humans in chains, again.

Enjoy yer airheads or whatever you got.

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    FWIW, in MA in order to receive a citation for a speeding or moving violation in a vehicle, a police officer has to witness the event, and issue the citation at the time. As a result, we don't have either speed or red-light cameras here.
    Interesting. So imagine a high speed pursuit was initiated but then called off after it was recognized to be too dangerous, and the officer had the license plate ID anyway. Since the several citations could not be issued at that time, does that mean no citations can be issued after officers go to the miscreant's house and wait for him to arrive home? That seems unlikely, but ...?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Interesting. So imagine a high speed pursuit was initiated but then called off after it was recognized to be too dangerous, and the officer had the license plate ID anyway. Since the several citations could not be issued at that time, does that mean no citations can be issued after officers go to the miscreant's house and wait for him to arrive home? That seems unlikely, but ...?
    A good argument could be made that staking out the residence to which the plate was registered could constitute an unbroken chain of pursuit. But that wouldn’t be the stone that brought things to a halt; the problem would arise in establishing the identity of the rider at the time the act was committed. Without that, the prosecutor won’t waste his time.

This is the reason why, when a community installs speeding or red light cameras, they also amend statutes so that the registered owner is liable for the citation regardless of who was actually operating the vehicle at the time. But of course, it’s not all about the money...

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by rick601 View Post
    Unfortunately, a state or municipality has to decide if the expense of sending a patrol officer to a hearing is worth the minor amount of fine revenue that might be collected.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    However, you're also called Taxachussettes.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Doesn't the Saskatchewan Gov't Insurance mandate the installation of a tracking system?
    Seriously? The answer is no. This is how bad information gets perpetuated.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Ya but..... I know you have a bar-code tattooed on your forehead.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    Ya but..... I know you have a bar-code tattooed on your forehead.
    Nope, that’s soooo 90s. Everyone knows that Canada implants RFID chips now...

Best,
    DeVern
    😊
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Apparently, the CBC is FAKE NEWS......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/car...laim-1.1364666