• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Side Stand Switch

mhallman

Just finished putting my 2000 R1100RS back together from a spline lube and hit a problem. When I put the starter back on, I didn't realize that I allowed what I believe to be the side stand switch wire to be crimped in as I was tightening the starter in to place. Once I realized the problem, I loosened the starter to get the wire out and saw that the wire had been damaged. Once the bike was completely back together I went to crank it up and... nothing. Lights came on but the other noises before startup were silent. There is another wire down close the the side stand switch as well. Am I safe to assume that I killed the side stand switch and just need a new one? I saw the switches were about $160 or so and want to make sure I've got the right wire before I spend the money.

When I needed a new side stand switch, BMW was out of stock for at least a couple of years. I had a local wrench rewire mine. If yours' is messed up, I'd be tempted to just get a new one.

Unplug it from the harness and do a continuity test first. If I recall correctly (no guarantees...), the center hole of the switch is shaped to go on only one way, so examine that too.
Or if you're feeling brave and will never forget to retract the stand before riding away, just bypass it. If the damaged wire is the culprit, you may want to do the bypass further up the line.

Unplug it from the harness and do a continuity test first. If I recall correctly (no guarantees...), the center hole of the switch is shaped to go on only one way, so examine that too.
Or if you're feeling brave and will never forget to retract the stand before riding away, just bypass it. If the damaged wire is the culprit, you may want to do the bypass further up the line.

I rode for awhile before I had it rewired. I always checked that it was up before riding off; always, always, always!!!! (Well except for twice, and fortunately, things didn't go south. Those two times were a great incentive to do something about it.) :laugh

Reality check!

Its nice that BMW and others have a solution to the people who ride off or try to start the bike while the side stand is still deployed and may prevent a problem with the "safe operation" of the motorcycle. Thank You!!! I know you have to reduce "liability for dumbies" but can they work at reducing Owners being stranded by poorly manufactured parts that will leave owners stranded.

It sucks to get a $150 tow bill along with a $200 repair bill so that the ill adjusted or defective side stand switch can be fixed.

Disclaimer: Its not me, some (many) are not me and rely on a solid dealer or independent service network to fix these minor problems that can go from irritating to life threatening in a few seconds.

Its nice that BMW and others have a solution to the people who ride off or try to start the bike while the side stand is still deployed and may prevent a problem with the "safe operation" of the motorcycle. Thank You!!! I know you have to reduce "liability for dumbies" but can they work at reducing Owners being stranded by poorly manufactured parts that will leave owners stranded.

It sucks to get a $150 tow bill along with a $200 repair bill so that the ill adjusted or defective side stand switch can be fixed.

Disclaimer: Its not me, some (many) are not me and rely on a solid dealer or independent service network to fix these minor problems that can go from irritating to life threatening in a few seconds.

But there is a very simple solution. Keep the side stand switch in normal operation. Should perchance it fail then every rider should know where to cut the two wires - in the switch bundle - not the main harness - and twist the ends together to disable the function until the new switch arrives. There is no need and no excuse for a tow in this case.

But there is a very simple solution. Keep the side stand switch in normal operation. Should perchance it fail then every rider should know where to cut the two wires - in the switch bundle - not the main harness - and twist the ends together to disable the function until the new switch arrives. There is no need and no excuse for a tow in this case.

Or carry a pre-made shunt.

Kill Switch Wire.jpg

So this is what it looks like. I'm guessing it's a goner. Not sure exactly how to rig it to give me a temporary fix while the replacement ships. Could someone who knows what theyr're doing solder this to fix it or would that just greatly increase the risk of inopportune malfunction.

To be honest, I once got distracted leaving a gas station and forgot to put the stand up. Once was enough to convince me not to bypass the system for good.

View attachment 77026

So this is what it looks like. I'm guessing it's a goner. Not sure exactly how to rig it to give me a temporary fix while the replacement ships. Could someone who knows what theyr're doing solder this to fix it or would that just greatly increase the risk of inopportune malfunction.

To be honest, I once got distracted leaving a gas station and forgot to put the stand up. Once was enough to convince me not to bypass the system for good.

High quality butt connectors that have included heat-shrink will work well for you. Soldered connections for high vibration environments has fallen out of favor due to the lack of flexibility.
OM

Personally I would ditch the switch. Bypass it. I think I’ll do that to mine too.
I’m comfortable without it.

On the 2nd day of ownership of my 1100RS that switch was bypassed, cut the wires at the switch, soldered them together, shrinked insulation on it, and tucked them away. I like to start warm up on side stand while I put on my gear.

I think I recounted this tale once before but will repeat it here. Voni and a friend were riding some double letter roads in south central Missouri. Her friend had failed to retract the sidestand on her R100GS which was rigged not to spring up when unweighted. Riding rather briskly they entered a left hand sweeper and the sidestand hit the ground upsetting the trajectory of the bike. The bike and rider would up in a heap in the front yard of a farmhouse. The rider was not seriously injured which was quickly determined by the folks in the front yard. The local volunteer fire department and emergency medical folks were having their annual picnic in that yard. Not everybody can arrange their crashes so well.

Thanks for all the input. I got some waterproof butt connectors and got everything working. I also ordered a new switch which will be here in a week. If I can take one less risk away, why not? Now to figure out how to get the old switch off...

Back