• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Ride Remote Fob RE-PROGRAMMING???

atcguy

The basic question: We all know that a new fob can be programmed to work on a bike, but... can a remote fob that was programmed for use on previous bike be RE-programmed to work on a different bike?

Read something funny today about these things... situation was this:

The guy had a 2017 R12GS, with 2 of the remote fobs. The bike came with one of course, and he later bought a 2nd as a spare. He then had it programmed to the bike, and both of them worked as advertised. Great...

Fast forward the time and he's recently sold the bike in preparation for getting a new one. Knowing that new bikes only come with 1 remote fob... when he sold the bike, he kept one of the fobs to be reprogrammed & used with the new one.

However, he's now being told that his plan won't work. That once a remote fob has been programmed to work on one bike, that the BMW coding will not allow it to be reprogrammed to work on another bike... thus requiring him to buy yet another new remote fob if he wants a spare.

Is that correct?

Fobs are coded to a specific bike by VIN before being shipped from wherever they are made/stocked/programed. They are not transferable to another bike.

It was my understanding that only the metal key-bit itself was cut by BMW using the VIN.

The keyless ride fob consists of 2 parts: the metal key-bit, and the electronic remote. Any key-bit can be inserted into the fob... and BMW sells replacements for those at about $25

I know when I obtained a spare fob for my Rallye, I had to order it at the dealership with my VIN. It arrived about a week later... but the shop still had to program the electronic remote part to my bike upon arrival, so it was NOT associated with the VIN when new.

I would think that for using it on another bike, all one would have to do would be to order a new key-bit that fits the locks on the new bike, and then have the electronic remote reprogrammed for it. I mean... I remember doing something similar with my Ford car & truck a few years back when the truck's remote lock fob got accidentally smashed in my garage. I took the extra one from the car, and reprogrammed it for the truck to save me from buying a new one. It's just a simple electronic transmitter like your tv remote.

But anyway, in the case of my example, the guy says the dealer told him that isn't possible. I was simply wondering if that was true, if there was something new & weird in the BMW electronic matrix that prevents that... or if the dealer was trying to hustle him out of another $275 for a brand new remote?

If the FOB is electronically linked to the bike with the VIN one shouldn't need to mate the FOB to the bike when you get a new FOB. I find it hard to believe you can't reprogram the FOB. What happens if your bike has some major electrical failure and a new ECM is installed requiring FOB reprogramming?

As far as I understand the VIN is required for the flip out key. The FOB is generic.

Try reprogram it to a new bike, it will work, or not, it can't hurt to try. If it connects you can order a replacement flip out key to fit the new bike.

...Try reprogram it to a new bike...

Yes, this seems like an empirical question. However, having done this myself with a new fob purchased for my R1200RTW, I can verify that the process is confusing and that there are many variations of incorrect instructions that you will find on the web. I found some advice on this forum about accessing the antenna loop on the RT by removing two screws in the dash, and then gently prying the plastic away to allow me to get the new fob right next to the loop. Only then would the reprogramming work. While doing it, you will see a variety of key-shaped icons on your rider display. I found that I needed to use my original fob to start the bike, then while the bike was running, I moved the original fob far away, and then put the new fob immediately next to the loop. YMMV.

I think I recall that on the GS, the loop is located under the rear fender (?) Good luck, and report back.

Cap

Tom, Have your friend give it a try and let us know. I'm sure the dealer doesn't know what he's talking about or is a crook.

That's just it... the guy in the story isn't my friend. His story is something that was told to me, because I'm in a similar situation.

I sold my Rallye just before Christmas. I was going to sell MY extra remote fob to someone, but he backed out when he said that he learned the info that I relayed. That something about the 2018 & up bike electronics prevents the bike's CPU from recognizing a previously coded key fob. Personally, I don't see how that is possible, as the key fob doesn't know it's been used... all it does is transmit it's own transponder signal. The bike's CPU does the processing & either recognizes the fob or not when someone tries to start the bike.

In any event, I couldn't find any mention of a "re-programing" a fob online myself (plenty of info on programing a NEW fob, but not re-programing a used one)... which is why I was asking if anyone here had heard something similar.

Last edited:
"How it's possible" depends on the design of the device. Some electronic chips can be programmed only once, and others can be programmed multiple times.
Example: PROM = programmable read-only memory; EPROM = erasable read-only memory.

So who actually has any facts on this topic?

I am not interested in theory and speculation. Facts count.

So who actually has any facts on this topic?

I am not interested in theory and speculation. Facts count.

Paul,

Fact is BMW dealer does not know anything and is a crook.

Internet knows everything but cannot accomplish the given task.

Paul,

Fact is BMW dealer does not know anything and is a crook.

Internet knows everything but cannot accomplish the given task.

I am very sorry your dealer is stupid and a crook. My dealer, and several others I have patronized for the past 35 years are both very knowledgeable and very honest. You need to find better dealers.

Back