• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200GS vs 1250GS

BostonG

Looking to buy either a 2018 or 2019 GS. Had a 2013GS, sold it for a 2015RT and going back to a GS (better fit, ride and handling for me). Just listed the RT and will look for a GS.

Looking for thoughts on the 1200 vs 1250. Aside from the specs, any comments from people that owned both a 1200 and 1250 and can share likes/dislikes.

Have a 34" inseam and usually raise the handle bars and seat and lower the pegs to get a good fit. Most of my riding is to escape the city and head out to the country. No off road riding. Also do a fair amount of highway driving.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
As already noted both bikes are very similar except for the engine. And from what you describe I would go with a standard GS or some version thereof like the HP or Rally or Exclusive models. I bought the last 2018 my dealer had last April and got a great deal. So it really depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I am sure you can get a killer deal on any 2018's or 2019's but the 2019 (1250) will probably be more money. But if me ... I would find the bike I like in the color and features I want or don't want and then buy it.

Hope this helps. I have both the RT and GS and love them both. I don't ride off road but use the GS when my travels are on more curvy backroads and my RT for the more long distance trips. The GS is like the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.

Good luck!

The 1250 engine is amazing. I ended up with the 1250 after test riding both. I'd been off motorcycles for a year due to health issues. At your height, you'll be able to handle a GSA. Test ride both, and see what you like the best. I've owned every version of the 1200 engine (except the HP) in various R bikes, and the 1250 is more flexible and nicer to ride than any of my 1200's. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback. Just sold my RT and will now start looking at a GS

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sold a 2011 GS, 2016 K1600 GT and 2012 F650GS after I rode the 1250 GSA. Few thousand miies now. Everything about the 1250 works better for me. Did 300+ miles today of country roads with no one around. My only complaint is the bluetooth is still a train wreck, but that's not a deal killer for me.

Transmission on my new 1250 is far more refined than the one on the '16 1200 I traded. No clunk! Shift assist finally works for me the way it apparently worked for everyone but me. Hill start releases smoothly, doesn't need 2500 rpm, it just lets go as if it weren't even on - far superior to the implementation on my '15 RT. The 1250 builds power smoothly, there's no surge at 6000 rpm (or flat spot at 5500, depending on how you look at it). No way to display kph on the TFT though, the capability exists but BMW removed it for US-market bikes - which makes no sense, since people really do ride to Canada and Mexico where it would be useful. At least the analog speedometer on the 1200 had the secondary graduations, for what they were worth.

So yeah, I'm loving the 1250. But the 1200 was good to me for 150K miles, and I'm kinda sad that I don't have it any more.

I sold my 2016 Rt last month for a left over 2019 GSA...can't say enough about the motor(low end torque) and how refined the GS and GSA has become. I have owned various GSs through the years and this is by far the best I have ridden IMHO...If you have a 34 inseam I would go with the GSA to get the extra wind protection and longer range.

I sold my 2016 Rt last month for a left over 2019 GSA...can't say enough about the motor(low end torque) and how refined the GS and GSA has become. I have owned various GSs through the years and this is by far the best I have ridden IMHO...If you have a 34 inseam I would go with the GSA to get the extra wind protection and longer range.

Pretty sure a 1250 is in my future but for now I am pretty happy with my 2018 1200GS. Having owned a '02 GS, '12 GSA and now '18 GS for ME the '18 GS is the best yet. The only feature I miss from my GSA is that monster tank which was even bigger than the current GSA. But I never rode it to empty ...but liked the comfort of the extra range. But my current GS will easly get 250+ miles on a tank. And while at 6'3" and 34" inseam I still prefer the standard GS. It is just easier to manage and much easier to get up on center stand. Also, the $$ I saved on the GS vs GSA allowed me to outfit the bike "exactly" as I prefer. But any GS is a great bike and looking forward to my next GS ... a 1250.

Thanks all for the comments. The GS 1250 will be a future choice. Went for an optioned out low mileage 2018 GS (with an extended warranty till 2024). With the savings, leaves me extra $$$ to add to the bike when it arrives (heading from Chicago to Boston). Upgrades (lights, horn, protection) will be on the menu while confined at home. Seat is a question. The bike has a BMW comfort seat. Never had one. Have always swapped with a Sargent seat, but curious to see how the BMW seat compares.

For me, the top end speed or raw power was not the attraction, it was the torque the 1250 has, but I know the 2018 will provide the sanity and freedom I'll be looking for (at least for 2020...).

Thanks all for the comments. The GS 1250 will be a future choice. Went for an optioned out low mileage 2018 GS (with an extended warranty till 2024). With the savings, leaves me extra $$$ to add to the bike when it arrives (heading from Chicago to Boston). Upgrades (lights, horn, protection) will be on the menu while confined at home. Seat is a question. The bike has a BMW comfort seat. Never had one. Have always swapped with a Sargent seat, but curious to see how the BMW seat compares.

For me, the top end speed or raw power was not the attraction, it was the torque the 1250 has, but I know the 2018 will provide the sanity and freedom I'll be looking for (at least for 2020...).

Congrats! Hope you love your new GS as much as I do my 2018 GS! The best bike I've owned!! Good luck and many miles of smiles.

Back