• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New bike: F900XR or S1000XR -- best for luggage & vibes?

I see in a review the US F900 gets 99 HP instead of 105. That's a bummer.

I personally would never buy a new model vehicle, car or motorcycle.
Especially with this tech heavy new stuff.
Too much stuff to go wrong and you take such a huge hit on the value the moment you drive it off the lot.
I always look for a low mile used vehicle at a great price, I've been very successful at this.

I personally would never buy a new model vehicle, car or motorcycle.
Especially with this tech heavy new stuff.
Too much stuff to go wrong and you take such a huge hit on the value the moment you drive it off the lot.
I always look for a low mile used vehicle at a great price, I've been very successful at this.

I understand. But if everybody agreed with you the company would sell zero new model bikes and there would be no second year and then there would be no company.

Really? Why do you say that? As far as I know, the 900 isn't even in showrooms let alone accumulating mileage and/or warranty claims. :scratch

It's just my personal opinion, which I'm sure is not shared by most BMW owners. BMW didn't earn that second most unreliable brand award from Consumer Reports a few years back by sitting on their hands. They have for some time now striven to produce the most complicated, computer driven bikes they can dream up. That's fine when the dealership is eating the repair costs under warranty, but after that, you better have a good credit card. That may explain why it seems that most of the people in the mileage contest appear to be on pretty new machines. I group the 900 with all of BMW's new offerings:a nice bike, but very expensive, extremely complicated, and quite possibly impossible to repair without special dealership diagnostics and tooling. I have nothing against that if people feel they need/want it. Keep the company afloat. After all, it's only money. I simply prefer a machine that I can work on, and hence afford to own. The new ones just don't fit that bill.

2020 F900XR vs. S1000XR

If you've seen any of the EICMA videos where the BMW Motorrad S1000XR Product Manager talks about the design of the new bike with one of the moto-journalists, he highlights the substantial redesign that the handlebars, mounting system and headstock have gone through to eliminate any potential transfer of vibrations to the grips. The design involves an elastomeric mount that is able to isolate high frequency vibrations but is perfectly rigid in rotation so it has no impact on handling or steering feel. Personally I like the look of the F900XR better as the S1000XR looks a bit bulky or fat. That said, I've never ridden a bike with too much horsepower and I do like the smoothness and linear power delivery of that 4-cylinder engine. It's funny because when I first started riding, a 900cc bike with 100 hp would have been consider a beast!

Kent

F900XR review by TMF - The Missenden Flyer

<iframe width="946" height="532" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FDovoITvrDA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm jealous he gets to ride in February. Today I had to get the snow blower out to deal with heavy, wet snow with a layer of ice on it. All I could do to clear the walk and driveway with my little snow blower.

He does compare the 900 with the 1000.

Harry

That may explain why it seems that most of the people in the mileage contest appear to be on pretty new machines.

I took 3rd place in the summer mileage contest (~44k miles total) in 2018 with a '95 K75 and a 2007 R1200RT. The same year the men's winner's newest bike in the annual contest was a 2004... seems like the majority of the top places had a bike that was a couple years old too...

Many of our tool kits just need to include a computer or phone, along with traditional wrenches, to keep working on our bikes.

Many of our tool kits just need to include a computer or phone, along with traditional wrenches, to keep working on our bikes.

Thirty Four years ago I bought a 1986 K75T. The conventional wisdom then was that with the electronic ignition, fuel injection and water cooling on that bike the days of the home wrench were over. I rode that bike for 370,000 miles over a period of 19 years and never once after the 500 mile service did I need to take it to a dealer for service. The only maintenance on the electronic ignition was to change spark plugs. The only maintenance on the fuel injection system was to change the fuel filter a few times and to use a dose of Techron fuel system cleaner every 12,000 miles or so. I changed the coolant a few times too.

Lots of brake pads, a few shocks, some fork seals, spline lubes, etc constituted the maintenance on that bike that a home wrench supposedly couldn't handle.

The same holds true for the most part today. A good diagnostic tool - GS911 - and a good repair manual and a home wrench can still do most of what is needed. Maybe not all, but certainly most of it. It does become a bit less muscular and a bit more cerebral maybe. But most folks can use a smart phone so they ought to be able to use an electronic diagnostic tool. We have been using OBDII readers fro cars since the 1970s or '80s.

He does compare the 900 with the 1000.

Harry

Thanks
I noticed several things.
It has a cable clutch.
It has Road 5 GT tires instead of the standard Road 5.
It has gold forks and non ESA. In the past gold forks meant the bike had ESA.

I'm contemplating a new bike. I currently ride a 2011 F800R which I overall really enjoy, BUT, is severely lacking in touring capability (as per design :) ). I'd like to be able to go on some longer trips, even though the vast majority of my riding is either commuting, or day riding (i.e., not requiring camping gear etc). But for example I'm planning a 3k mile trip including the MOA Rally in June, and strapping everything all over the F800 awkwardly doesn't seem like it's going to work, nor be comfortable with the tiny windscreen and vibey highway performance (see more below).

So, I'm contemplating one of the new XR bikes. I primarily want more touring and long-distance riding comfort, with room for some gear. I know I can get matching luggage for either the F900XR or the S1000XR, and the S1000XR's luggage looks nicer in the one picture on the BMW site (and I'm guessing is slightly more spacious; plus the "hooks" are visible under the pillion seat in the bike pictures, which make it seem like it might be easy to remove the luggage when not in use for example for daily commuting). I know there's almost none of the 900s in the US yet (and maybe no 1000s either?) -- they seem to be single units trickling into dealers now, but if someone has insight on the luggage, or overall thoughts of them vs. the older F800, I'd love to hear them.

Also, as I mentioned, the "vibes" are another reason I'm contemplating a 1000 over the 900. My 800 is pretty vibey in the exact freeway range (~4500rpm), which can get pretty annoying on long rides. I'm assuming the 900 is a bit more balanced out (given that it'll be 9 years later, and at least one engine/balancer generation newer than mine), but I presume (?) the I4 of the s1000 is even smoother (plus maybe sounds cooler, and of course is quite a bit more powerful :) ). Anyone with good insight into the feel of these two engines?

Another option would be an older used S1000XR, but I like some of the features (keyless, new dashboard) on the 2020 so I'm leaning towards new. Plus I've never bought a brand-new moto so seems exciting :) But if it's a huge enough bargain I could be convinced if folks think the 1000 is far superior to the 900, and that model year doesn't make a huge difference otherwise.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

The S1000XR is going to have more bells and whistles, and definitely more power (160hp vs 99hp). You will have cruise control, heated grips, gear shift assist, hill start control, electronic suspension, more ride modes, ABS Pro and more. You might be able to get a few of these on the 900XR but most are budget priced. the 19' S1000XR's right now are offering a $2000 incentive, and you get an additional $750 off with MOA. Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Another review of the F900XR

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/bikes/bmw/bmw-f900xr-2020-review-price-spec

List of equipment and options.

BMW ABS Pro (cornering ABS)

BMW HSC Pro (hill start), Dynamic DTC (traction control), MSR (motor slip regulation for hard down-changes)

Gear shift assist

TFT with connectivity

Riding Modes Pro Rain, Road, Dynamic, Dynamic Pro

LED Headlights

Cornering lights

LED Indicators (probably not in the US)

LED Dynamic Brake Light (probably not in the US)

Adjustable Windscreen

Preparation of GPS Device

Cruise Control

Heated Grips

Recently I have read and watched a couple F900 reviews and they mentioned the ESA is only on the rear shock.
One thing I like about ESA on the front is there's very little front dive like the telelever and duolever front suspensions.

Back