• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New bike: F900XR or S1000XR -- best for luggage & vibes?

bside

I'm contemplating a new bike. I currently ride a 2011 F800R which I overall really enjoy, BUT, is severely lacking in touring capability (as per design :) ). I'd like to be able to go on some longer trips, even though the vast majority of my riding is either commuting, or day riding (i.e., not requiring camping gear etc). But for example I'm planning a 3k mile trip including the MOA Rally in June, and strapping everything all over the F800 awkwardly doesn't seem like it's going to work, nor be comfortable with the tiny windscreen and vibey highway performance (see more below).

So, I'm contemplating one of the new XR bikes. I primarily want more touring and long-distance riding comfort, with room for some gear. I know I can get matching luggage for either the F900XR or the S1000XR, and the S1000XR's luggage looks nicer in the one picture on the BMW site (and I'm guessing is slightly more spacious; plus the "hooks" are visible under the pillion seat in the bike pictures, which make it seem like it might be easy to remove the luggage when not in use for example for daily commuting). I know there's almost none of the 900s in the US yet (and maybe no 1000s either?) -- they seem to be single units trickling into dealers now, but if someone has insight on the luggage, or overall thoughts of them vs. the older F800, I'd love to hear them.

Also, as I mentioned, the "vibes" are another reason I'm contemplating a 1000 over the 900. My 800 is pretty vibey in the exact freeway range (~4500rpm), which can get pretty annoying on long rides. I'm assuming the 900 is a bit more balanced out (given that it'll be 9 years later, and at least one engine/balancer generation newer than mine), but I presume (?) the I4 of the s1000 is even smoother (plus maybe sounds cooler, and of course is quite a bit more powerful :) ). Anyone with good insight into the feel of these two engines?

Another option would be an older used S1000XR, but I like some of the features (keyless, new dashboard) on the 2020 so I'm leaning towards new. Plus I've never bought a brand-new moto so seems exciting :) But if it's a huge enough bargain I could be convinced if folks think the 1000 is far superior to the 900, and that model year doesn't make a huge difference otherwise.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the forum.
If possible it would be nice to ride both bikes to see which you like better.
The 1000XR has similar side bags as our R1200RSs have and we are happy with the capacity and the ease of mounting and removing them.
Some of the pictures show a new generation of the S1000XR side bags but I'm guessing they are still similar size.

The S1000XR has a 30 liter top box that would work for commuting. I have the same top box I use for day rides on my RS.
Depot 6-16-18 (1).jpg

The 30 liter BMW soft tailbag we use on trips will also work on the S1000XR rack.
P1040444.JPG

I feel much the same way. I love my 2015 F800GT and have very few miles on it, but the S1000XR is very tempting. I sat on a new 2019 S1000XR last week in the showroom, and it felt much more top heavy. I assume it would just take some getting use to. I know I would miss the maintenance free belt drive of my bike now and am not really considering moving up only to the F900XR.

The original S1000XR's had a lot of vibes, they did some adjustments, but when I rode a 2019 one last year, I was still surprised. The 1000 also has cruise control and some more creature comforts and gobs more power, compared to your 800. I'd try to find a dealer that would let you ride them back to back...

If you want a comfortable bike, you want a boxer twin.

Given your initial ideas, check out R1250RS. Bigger tourer is R1250RT and of course the world's ultimate motorcycle is the R1250GS.

If you find these too expensive, buy used.

You need to test ride an F900XR, S1000XR, and an R1250RS. They are all different, but only you can decide which is "best". Personally, I don't need the hp of an S1000 and prefer the lower center of gravity of the boxer design.

Good luck with your evaluation!

You need to test ride an F900XR, S1000XR, and an R1250RS. They are all different, but only you can decide which is "best". Personally, I don't need the hp of an S1000 and prefer the lower center of gravity of the boxer design.

Good luck with your evaluation!
Has this "center of gravity" ever been actually measured? It does seem intuitive that in general a boxer design would have a lower COG, but how much lower, if at all? And does it really make a difference in riding feel?

Back to the original question, ignoring the needless distraction about boxer twins. Do you want twice as many sparkplugs and a more expensive service to check valves? Twin vs Four? Is the 900 fast enough or do you need more speed than 105 horsepower? Of the two, do you want the lighter bike?

do you need more speed than 105 horsepower? Of the two, do you want the lighter bike?

I was surprised there's very little weight difference between the 900XR and 1000XR.
The S1000XR weighs 12 pounds more than the 900 and half that difference is due to 1.1 gallon larger tank on the S1000XR.

Here's the specs on the S1000XR
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/s1000xr/technicaldata.html

Specs on the F900XR
https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/adventure/f900xr/technicaldata.html#/section-technical-data

Last edited:
Paul is correct

:thumb Yes Paul, I agree on your thoughts plus a test ride on the two or three models is in order.

The new F is a totally different engine, when it comes to vibes, from the F800 you've been riding. You will not, from my experience on one F750 and two F850's (total 4,000 miles), get vibe fatigue with the new F. Based on that, I'd say the F900 will be just as smooth as the 750/850, which is excellent in my book.

I'm contemplating a new bike. I currently ride a 2011 F800R which I overall really enjoy, BUT, is severely lacking in touring capability (as per design)...Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Well, you asked, even though you seem focused on XR models, the most well rounded sport tourer available, completely effective as a 'tourer' on any kind of pavement for hours on end, and wonderfully capable ripping thru the canyons, nothing beats the newer R1200RT and coming from F800R you won't feel underpowered ever. I did 3y/23K miles on F800GT prior to when I took my maiden voyage on a new '16 RT I was amazed at how superior handling was, despited the added curb weight. Service is a piece of cake on these machines, they're rock-solid reliable, and as I say they are equally effective on any kind of road. 3 months after taking ownership of my custom configured '16 I did a 10,000m trip and it was nothing short of marvelous! You'll appreciate the lack of chain maintenance, the superior wind/weather protection (I won't live w/o an electric screen after this thank you), the added curb weight adds stability in high winds over my F800GT and all the way across Minnesota we had really stiff x-winds. I have 42K miles OTC now and plan to keep it until I die, or hit 150K miles, whichever comes first!

Since opposed twins seem to be the only viable motorcycles in the world (opinion around here) just get a decent /6 and be happy. :banghead

Or continue to consider the 900 twin or 1000 four.

I've always been puzzled when I see a thread which asks the assembled multitude which of these TWO tires, TWO motorcycles, TWO tank bags, TWO GPS units or TWO seats - and provides those TWO choices - think would be best and, invariably, 3rd, 4th and 5th or more choices are recommended.

Do we not think that the OP hasn't already considered those options, has narrowed down his personal choices and is just looking for input from those with experience on the TWO items he has indicated?

:scratch

Back