• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gs 911

apbehnen

Someone told me about the GS 911 that will clear the service reminders on BMW motorcycles. I am thinking about buying one. Does anyone know if it will work on a 2019 BMW 1250gs with a TFT screen? I want to make sure before I lay out the money.

Someone told me about the GS 911 that will clear the service reminders on BMW motorcycles. I am thinking about buying one. Does anyone know if it will work on a 2019 BMW 1250gs with a TFT screen? I want to make sure before I lay out the money.

Yep, just did it this weekend on my 1250GS. It was surprising how much info you can pull.. even the codes and status of the bike when i dropped it at the gas station last week. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's and app called Motoscan that works with a cheap adapter you can get from Amazon. I have a 911 (which works great BTY) but had I known about Motoscan I would have bought that instead and saved $300+. I think the full featured version of the app is like $50 and the adapter is the bluetooth type used on cars that you can get for $15 or $20 on Amazon.

There's and app called Motoscan that works with a cheap adapter you can get from Amazon. I have a 911 (which works great BTY) but had I known about Motoscan I would have bought that instead and saved $300+. I think the full featured version of the app is like $50 and the adapter is the bluetooth type used on cars that you can get for $15 or $20 on Amazon.

Yes, sure. But unlike with the GS911 and Hexcode when you have an issue and a question there is nobody knowledgeable about BMW motorcycles to call. Hexcode has been designing and building the GS911 devices for about 20 years and have followed BMW as the bikes became more and more complex. Now that the EU has mandated the OBDII interface it is easy to get a list of codes but it takes more than that to troubleshoot. As in most cases a person gets what they pay for.

Yes, sure. But unlike with the GS911 and Hexcode when you have an issue and a question there is nobody knowledgeable about BMW motorcycles to call. Hexcode has been designing and building the GS911 devices for about 20 years and have followed BMW as the bikes became more and more complex. Now that the EU has mandated the OBDII interface it is easy to get a list of codes but it takes more than that to troubleshoot. As in most cases a person gets what they pay for.

This is a VERY good point!

Yes.. I never used the Motoscan however I don’t think it can give you the level of detail the GS-911 will.. I had a slip & drop a while back and I would be surprised if the Motoscan will tell you the throttle valve angle relative to the throttle valve stop...
01c6f89363d61e21a0f41c7c28118a79.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt the Motoscan will flush the inner workings of the ABS system which I did a few minutes ago with my GS-911 and 2015 R1200GS.

GS911 vs. Motoscan

Choice depends what you want to do. If you just do ordinary maintenance tasks and leave the rest to the dealer like I do the Motoscan is just fine. If you want to go to the next level then buy the GS911. There is a significant price difference between the two. And if you have three years of warranty then you probably won't need a GS911 for a while.

Choice depends what you want to do. If you just do ordinary maintenance tasks and leave the rest to the dealer like I do the Motoscan is just fine. If you want to go to the next level then buy the GS911. There is a significant price difference between the two. And if you have three years of warranty then you probably won't need a GS911 for a while.

True, if you don't intend to do much except an oil change you probably don't even need the Motoscan. But if you want to truly understand your $20,000 plus motorcycle the cheap diagnostic tool won't be much help actually. But that is part of what we have dealers for. Support your dealer. But don't ask somebody to use one of their GS911 VIN to help with diagnostics when what you are doing doesn't find the answer.

True, if you don't intend to do much except an oil change you probably don't even need the Motoscan. But if you want to truly understand your $20,000 plus motorcycle the cheap diagnostic tool won't be much help actually. But that is part of what we have dealers for. Support your dealer. But don't ask somebody to use one of their GS911 VIN to help with diagnostics when what you are doing doesn't find the answer.

I definitely won't. And I thought oil threads were bad...

Funny, but I have been asked to let people use my GS911 a number of times. Since it is limited to 10 VIN I usually, but not always, decline.

Or, let them use it for 1/10th of the price difference between Enthusiast vs. Pro versions and then you will have an unlimited VIN GS-911.
$749.00 (Pro) - $399.00 (Enthusiast) = $350.00,... $350 /10 = $35 per VIN. Just have "them" sign up and pay BEFORE you let any random guy use it.

Of course everybody knows that any new VINs only "count" if the GS-911 is used to FIX something, like resetting service reminders. clearing error codes, bleeding ABS brakes, resetting adaptations, etc. Simply using the GS-911 to diagnose a problem or learn about faults can be done VIN free, and I have done that for BMW friends so they know what problems have been present on their bikes.

Simply using the GS-911 to diagnose a problem or learn about faults can be done VIN free, and I have done that for BMW friends so they know what problems have been present on their bikes.

I always carry it for this reason. I mean, obviously I want to have it with me in case of trouble but I always thought that it would be handy to have if needed in an BMW groups rides just in case.

Back