• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Zumo 595 Wiring

mcreech

So, I bought a Zumo 595 for myself for Christmas to replace my old 550 with something more modern. I’ve torn down all my necessary Tupperware on my 2009 RT for ease of access. I cut the old harness wires hoping to tap into them since they are already wired into the front accessory circuit. Doing so should allow me to just splice the wires together and the new 595 should turn on and off with the key, correct?

Wrong.

It comes on with the key. Won’t turn off. Nor will anything else wired to the accessory circuit! My AdMore light stays on. Auxiliary driving lights stay on. I have to unplug the GPS socket from the front accessory plug to get those things to turn off.

I’ve tried: 1) Power and ground through front accessory plug = comes on with key but won’t turn off. 2) Ground to accessory plug/power direct to battery = GPS comes on as soon as connected to battery but other accessories function properly, GPS stays on. 3) Incorporated third wire (blue/white) to wires at accessory plug = back to 1. 74BA4481-B3C6-467D-A3BA-A172B3E0C9D4.jpeg

Any help? Advice?

Not sure how long you are waiting for it to turn off, I understand there is a delay for power to shut down after turning off ignition. I have heard it is variable and may be able to be adjusted, one seems to take about a minute or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on the delay.

Also, note that only the two outer pins on the white BMW connector are used for an aftermarket gps. The black wire from the Zumo harness should connect to the brown (earth) wire coming from the bike harness. The red wire from the Zumo harness should connect to the red/white wire coming from the bike harness, so make sure your pin outs and connections are correct.

The third wire coming out of the white BMW gps connector is unused and should be doubled over and taped, or sealed with heat shrink, so that it can’t make contact anywhere.

Best,
DeVern

Wiring for the 550 was as described by you folks: red to red/white and black to brown. I just connected the new harness to the same wires. Have a time running now to see how long it takes to shut off. Just have a jumper lead connected for the power right now. ED82558B-4E10-4726-978C-A4B35DB974EC.jpeg

As I type this, timer is over 8 minutes. I’m hooked to my battery tender so no worries. Just gonna let it roll

Stopped timer at 17 minutes and pulled the plug. Removed 595 from mount. Plugged GPS harness back into accessory plug. Cycled key. 30 seconds for accessories to turn off.

Stopped timer at 17 minutes and pulled the plug. Removed 595 from mount. Plugged GPS harness back into accessory plug. Cycled key. 30 seconds for accessories to turn off.

Just to be sure, the device or display timeout on GPS is not set to never or a longer period? I imagine that would keep unit on and running off battery rather than turn off? I think you would see a lightning bolt in battery indicator to show this or check setting. I have a NAV V, so not sure they are exactly the same but similar.

Just to be sure, the device or display timeout on GPS is not set to never or a longer period? I imagine that would keep unit on and running off battery rather than turn off? I think you would see a lightning bolt in battery indicator to show this or check setting. I have a NAV V, so not sure they are exactly the same but similar.

I do in fact have a lightning bolt in the battery on the display. I charged it fully the day I got it, but that’s been well over a month ago and it’s been sitting in my garage since then, so maybe I need to charge the GPS battery and try this again. It’s too cold to ride, so no biggie. ��

Edit: Screen time-out is set to 2 minutes which I assume is default. Battery looks like the final bar to the left is half-full, so maybe it’s not 100% ����*♂️

So, quick update.

I’ve not done a thing since this weekend except order a new adapter plug from Touratech they say should work. We’ll see. Regardless, I won’t have a chopped up connector like the current one.

Success!

Got the Touratech wiring harness delivered this afternoon. As I walked out to the garage with the box, I realized that I had not tried power through the CANBUS connector and grounding to the chassis. Tried that with jumper wires to the new harness power wire and alligator clip to bare metal. All accessories shut down as they should! Cool. Now to try both wires in the new harness. BOOM! It worked! I don’t know what the difference is, but I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth. Wires have been heat-shrunk, tucked away and secured. Now to put the Tupperware back on and go for a chilly ride tomorrow to get familiar with the unit.

Thanks everyone that chimed in for your tips and ideas.

Back