• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flat Tire

mojoman

I am a snowbird staying near Haines City Florida. Leaving February 28 for a month long ride to LA and back. Went out this morning and there is a nail in my rear tire. I have 15,000 kms. (10,000 miles) on the tires and was planning on replacing them in Arizona. I can plug the tire, but this, combined with what's left in tire life, I should get new ones before my trip. I need to find a place where they can install new tires and not damage my TPS sensors on my 2017 R1200 GS. Anyone know a place that's not too far from the Poinciana/Haines City area? Does not have to be a BMW dealer.

I am a snowbird staying near Haines City Florida. Leaving February 28 for a month long ride to LA and back. Went out this morning and there is a nail in my rear tire. I have 15,000 kms. (10,000 miles) on the tires and was planning on replacing them in Arizona. I can plug the tire, but this, combined with what's left in tire life, I should get new ones before my trip. I need to find a place where they can install new tires and not damage my TPS sensors on my 2017 R1200 GS. Anyone know a place that's not too far from the Poinciana/Haines City area? Does not have to be a BMW dealer.

The Cycle Gear in Orlando claims to mount & balance tires

I need to find a place where they can install new tires and not damage my TPS sensors on my 2017 R1200 GS. Anyone know a place that's not too far from the Poinciana/Haines City area? Does not have to be a BMW dealer.

Bring your owner's manual with you, or print pages from the Maintenance CD so that the dealer has torque settings and proper procedure for removing/replacing the wheel.

I did this for my local non-BMW dealer and he thanked me for doing so.

Harry

The Cycle Gear in Orlando claims to mount & balance tires

The Cycle Gear tire replacement system involves purchasing tire(s) from Cycle Gear. Thereafter show up at the store with a wheel with the bad tire on it. The tech will remove the tire, clean the rim, put on the new tire, and balance it. The cost is $25 if you've purchased the tire at the store...but $50 if you've brought the tire from another source.

I've observed this whole process at a MA store near Boston. The guy seemed very careful, and the result was good. Their tire prices seemed competitive.

For a rear tire only, you could probably do this all in the parking lot (if they'd let you). The front might be a little more complex. Clearly, torque values are your responsibility.

The Cycle Gear tire replacement system involves purchasing tire(s) from Cycle Gear. Thereafter show up at the store with a wheel with the bad tire on it. The tech will remove the tire, clean the rim, put on the new tire, and balance it. The cost is $25 if you've purchased the tire at the store...but $50 if you've brought the tire from another source.

I've observed this whole process at a MA store near Boston. The guy seemed very careful, and the result was good. Their tire prices seemed competitive.

For a rear tire only, you could probably do this all in the parking lot (if they'd let you). The front might be a little more complex. Clearly, torque values are your responsibility.

Back in 87 or 88, I dropped the rear wheel from my K75c in the parking lot at a local HonYamucki shop for a tire change. The shop mechanic nearly pee'd his pants. But, then again, he had just pulled the rear wheel off of a loaded Goldwing.

It's easy to forget how novel the single sided swing arm was in the 80's

Back