• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW MOA Anonymous book in app form

When people report that that function is working properly, I'll download the app. Until then it's the Anon book.:thumb

For me the app is not much better than a PDF saved on my phone, but it does have two advantages.
The app lets you filter by codes.
The listings in the app will be updated four times a year.

The app lets you filter by codes.
The listings in the app will be updated four times a year.

3. The listings in the app can be easily zoomed up to a readable size for my aging eyes.
4. Once I find a listing or listings that I want to try to contact, all I have to do is tap the phone icon or the message icon in the listing and bingo, the app dials the listing or pulls up a blank SMS message already addressed. No fumble-fingered typing a phone number or trying to remember a number string to punch into a messaging app.
5. I can quickly message multiple listings, again just by using copy/paste in the messaging app, then tapping an icon on the next listing I want to try, so have a better chance of getting a response. That helps determine which listings will be responsive to a phone call and explanation of the problem or request.
6. The city names in the app can be easily copied/pasted into Google Maps on my phone, so I can get a quick read on both distance and road directions to/from the listing city.

Would having the listings auto-sort by distance be nice? Sure! But that would for sure slow down the app and in most cases I'm still going to want to look at a map for reference. Plus, since both the book and the app are sorted by state, the distance listing would likely still not cross state borders so you're still going to have to switch states (click the state name and search or select the state you want) then wait while the app again sorts all the listings by distance. Imagine breaking down in Kansas City, KS for instance--the most helpful listing might be in Kansas City, MO. And in the best of all worlds, the app would have selection buttons (STATE or DISTANCE) that would sort and display accordingly--but with a range restriction applied, say 100-150 miles when viewing the listings in DISTANCE mode, so as not to slow down the app too much. Nobody wants to wait any more than they have to when broken down at the side of the road...

So count me firmly in the app column and wishing that deployment and development continue to grow. I wish I had to option to tell the office to not bother sending me the book as I'll just lose it or discard it anyway.

Best,

DeVern

Plus, since both the book and the app are sorted by state, the distance listing would likely still not cross state borders so you're still going to have to switch states

If they add the distance option I sure hope the app is smart enough to cross state lines.

If they add the distance option I sure hope the app is smart enough to cross state lines.

As would I, but I suspect for that to work properly one would need to delete or suppress the state-by-state listing/sorting, or at least do as I mentioned and make that a selectable option or branching point. The state sorting is really a throwback to the paper book anyway, where a sort/display method that worked in conjunction with a map was needed and “sort by distance” was up to the end user. And keeping that sorting basis was likely the fastest way to getting an app up, running, and out the door. And I’m sure that had the developers ditched that and gone straight to “sort by distance” there’d have been an outburst from long-time users used to state-by-state sorting. That change-resistant attitude is still evidenced today in “I will continue to use only the dead-tree version because the app lacks perfection in that it doesn’t sort by distance”, while the app today functions exactly as did the dead-tree version—look up the state, consult your map, check the locations and listings, and start contacting. The app is just a faster, more current and more easily packable way of getting to the help you need or want.

One thing I know for sure, tho—the young riders coming up aren’t interested in packing a physical book. The tools they use run on phones and tablets, and they expect them to run well and be regularly updated. Hand them a physical book and you’ll get the same toss-away reaction as the “socks” scene in the movie “A Christmas Story.” Let’s hope that BMWMOA and the developers keep working on the app and bring it up to full potential—including distance sorting.

Best,
DeVern

As would I, but I suspect for that to work properly one would need to delete or suppress the state-by-state listing/sorting, or at least do as I mentioned and make that a selectable option or branching point. The state sorting is really a throwback to the paper book anyway, where a sort/display method that worked in conjunction with a map was needed and “sort by distance” was up to the end user. And keeping that sorting basis was likely the fastest way to getting an app up, running, and out the door. And I’m sure that had the developers ditched that and gone straight to “sort by distance” there’d have been an outburst from long-time users used to state-by-state sorting. That change-resistant attitude is still evidenced today in “I will continue to use only the dead-tree version because the app lacks perfection in that it doesn’t sort by distance”, while the app today functions exactly as did the dead-tree version—look up the state, consult your map, check the locations and listings, and start contacting. The app is just a faster, more current and more easily packable way of getting to the help you need or want.

One thing I know for sure, tho—the young riders coming up aren’t interested in packing a physical book. The tools they use run on phones and tablets, and they expect them to run well and be regularly updated. Hand them a physical book and you’ll get the same toss-away reaction as the “socks” scene in the movie “A Christmas Story.” Let’s hope that BMWMOA and the developers keep working on the app and bring it up to full potential—including distance sorting.

Best,
DeVern

I've got the book on the bike, and can likely find a connection close to me as fast as some youngster using this app. Phones go down, get lost, apps stop functioning. The BOOK doesn't suffer any of those potential maladies when I need help on the side of the road. If my phone goes down, some passerby can be enlisted to make a few calls. If all you have is the phone and app, and neither is functioning properly, you're stuck out in left field somewhere.

For me, the app will just a convenience, but only a convenience if it can find what I need faster than flipping through the book, which for some may be more difficult, but not for this old boy. :thumb

So I downloaded the app, asking for username and password. I plug my username here in with my password, won't take it.

:scratch

It should. I just logged out of the app. Then logged back in with my MOA credentials.

So I downloaded the app, asking for username and password. I plug my username here in with my password, won't take it.

:scratch

Try logging out of the forum, refreshing your browser, and logging back in to verify that the username and password is working. If it gets you into the forum it should work on the app as well. iPhone or Android?

Best,
DeVern

It should. I just logged out of the app. Then logged back in with my MOA credentials.

I've tried it using my username here and my password, no luck 4 times now. I've got a call into the home office, had to leave a message. Thing is, I left a message last Friday morning about not receiving my new membership card as it's been 3 weeks, and no one has called back.

What to hell is going on that the home office can't return a call when they ask you to leave a message and they'll get back to you.

I want my membership card, and I'd like them to figure out why the app won't let me log in with my username and password. If it's going to be this damned difficult to reach the home office, and no call backs, somethings not right.

Try logging out of the forum, refreshing your browser, and logging back in to verify that the username and password is working. If it gets you into the forum it should work on the app as well. iPhone or Android?

Best,
DeVern

Android, I'll log out and back in, we'll give that a try.

Thanks

Android, I'll log out and back in, we'll give that a try.

Thanks

Had to reset the pwd, now i'm on the app. No idea why my password didn't work, but I had to establish a new one here and the app came right up.

As for the app, I like it. It's easy enough to navigate. From what I've explored so far, wherever I am I'll pull up my map, look for town's/cities nearest me and bring that location up on the app after plugging in the state. I like it already, closest to my location would be great but I don't see an issue finding closest help, one more step to get the map of that state up and determine closest to me. When traveling I take my National Geographic road atlas, easy enough to pull it out, and find nearest locales then search for same on the app under the state listings.

Hell, if all else fails, one could call any number in that state to a member and tell them where you are and they could direct you to try areas near you knowing their state. Brothers helping brothers. If I took a call like that, it would be easy to direct them to the nearest town/city and they can go from there with the app. :thumb

Appreciate the heads up on logging out and back in, pwd reset, all is good in the world. As a side not, just heard back from BMWMOA and they said the cards are running 4-6 weeks but if I'm traveling my current card would work just fine. :thumb

The following steps is how I'm using the app. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I open the app and it shows Iowa.

Tap Iowa, then tap Use Current Location

Tap Ok

Tap BMW MOA Anonymous

This gets me a alphabetical list of towns in Iowa. It does not show a list based on distance from me.

Next I try filter by codes and select a few codes, then tap Search Anonymous.

This give me a list but it's not in order by distance from me or does it show members not far from me in Missouri.

In the future will the app show all results based on distance from my current location?

Are there any plans to sort the results based on distance from your current location?

I downloaded the app. It looks good. I have a few questions. How often are the contacts updated? I was looking to see how I am listed, but could not locate myself, nor did I find a way in the app to see my preferences. Granted, I selected them when I renewed. Now, I did rejoin in June of last year, so it's possible that there's a delay in my info showing up depending on how often the information is updated. I'm also wondering if my information is excluded from the list to display more relevant information.

I downloaded the app. It looks good. I have a few questions. How often are the contacts updated? I was looking to see how I am listed, but could not locate myself, nor did I find a way in the app to see my preferences. Granted, I selected them when I renewed. Now, I did rejoin in June of last year, so it's possible that there's a delay in my info showing up depending on how often the information is updated. I'm also wondering if my information is excluded from the list to display more relevant information.

I was thinking the contact info would be updated four times a year but that may not be correct if your information is not showing.
If you go to the BMWMOA.org site, then click on Profile you should be able to see if your information is showing for the Anonymous Book and App.
There's a refresh button on the App that lets you update the App info whenever you want. Doing this before a trip would be a good idea.

Back