Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: BMW MOA Anonymous book in app form

Any updates on the annon app being updated to be able to find nearest help from your location?
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by brownie0486 View Post
    Any updates on the annon app being updated to be able to find nearest help from your location?
    I hope they get that part figured out.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by chiba View Post
    Hey all - yes, we're following this thread and collecting feedback!
    Any updates on the app being able to find members based on distance?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Any updates on the app being able to find members based on distance?
    When people report that that function is working properly, I'll download the app. Until then it's the Anon book.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

When people report that that function is working properly, I'll download the app. Until then it's the Anon book.
    For me the app is not much better than a PDF saved on my phone, but it does have two advantages.
    The app lets you filter by codes.
    The listings in the app will be updated four times a year.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

The app lets you filter by codes.
    The listings in the app will be updated four times a year.
    3. The listings in the app can be easily zoomed up to a readable size for my aging eyes.
    4. Once I find a listing or listings that I want to try to contact, all I have to do is tap the phone icon or the message icon in the listing and bingo, the app dials the listing or pulls up a blank SMS message already addressed. No fumble-fingered typing a phone number or trying to remember a number string to punch into a messaging app.
    5. I can quickly message multiple listings, again just by using copy/paste in the messaging app, then tapping an icon on the next listing I want to try, so have a better chance of getting a response. That helps determine which listings will be responsive to a phone call and explanation of the problem or request.
    6. The city names in the app can be easily copied/pasted into Google Maps on my phone, so I can get a quick read on both distance and road directions to/from the listing city.

Would having the listings auto-sort by distance be nice? Sure! But that would for sure slow down the app and in most cases I'm still going to want to look at a map for reference. Plus, since both the book and the app are sorted by state, the distance listing would likely still not cross state borders so you're still going to have to switch states (click the state name and search or select the state you want) then wait while the app again sorts all the listings by distance. Imagine breaking down in Kansas City, KS for instance--the most helpful listing might be in Kansas City, MO. And in the best of all worlds, the app would have selection buttons (STATE or DISTANCE) that would sort and display accordingly--but with a range restriction applied, say 100-150 miles when viewing the listings in DISTANCE mode, so as not to slow down the app too much. Nobody wants to wait any more than they have to when broken down at the side of the road...

So count me firmly in the app column and wishing that deployment and development continue to grow. I wish I had to option to tell the office to not bother sending me the book as I'll just lose it or discard it anyway.

Best,

DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Plus, since both the book and the app are sorted by state, the distance listing would likely still not cross state borders so you're still going to have to switch states
    If they add the distance option I sure hope the app is smart enough to cross state lines.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

If they add the distance option I sure hope the app is smart enough to cross state lines.
    As would I, but I suspect for that to work properly one would need to delete or suppress the state-by-state listing/sorting, or at least do as I mentioned and make that a selectable option or branching point. The state sorting is really a throwback to the paper book anyway, where a sort/display method that worked in conjunction with a map was needed and “sort by distance” was up to the end user. And keeping that sorting basis was likely the fastest way to getting an app up, running, and out the door. And I’m sure that had the developers ditched that and gone straight to “sort by distance” there’d have been an outburst from long-time users used to state-by-state sorting. That change-resistant attitude is still evidenced today in “I will continue to use only the dead-tree version because the app lacks perfection in that it doesn’t sort by distance”, while the app today functions exactly as did the dead-tree version—look up the state, consult your map, check the locations and listings, and start contacting. The app is just a faster, more current and more easily packable way of getting to the help you need or want.

One thing I know for sure, tho—the young riders coming up aren’t interested in packing a physical book. The tools they use run on phones and tablets, and they expect them to run well and be regularly updated. Hand them a physical book and you’ll get the same toss-away reaction as the “socks” scene in the movie “A Christmas Story.” Let’s hope that BMWMOA and the developers keep working on the app and bring it up to full potential—including distance sorting.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS

As would I, but I suspect for that to work properly one would need to delete or suppress the state-by-state listing/sorting, or at least do as I mentioned and make that a selectable option or branching point. The state sorting is really a throwback to the paper book anyway, where a sort/display method that worked in conjunction with a map was needed and “sort by distance” was up to the end user. And keeping that sorting basis was likely the fastest way to getting an app up, running, and out the door. And I’m sure that had the developers ditched that and gone straight to “sort by distance” there’d have been an outburst from long-time users used to state-by-state sorting. That change-resistant attitude is still evidenced today in “I will continue to use only the dead-tree version because the app lacks perfection in that it doesn’t sort by distance”, while the app today functions exactly as did the dead-tree version—look up the state, consult your map, check the locations and listings, and start contacting. The app is just a faster, more current and more easily packable way of getting to the help you need or want.

One thing I know for sure, tho—the young riders coming up aren’t interested in packing a physical book. The tools they use run on phones and tablets, and they expect them to run well and be regularly updated. Hand them a physical book and you’ll get the same toss-away reaction as the “socks” scene in the movie “A Christmas Story.” Let’s hope that BMWMOA and the developers keep working on the app and bring it up to full potential—including distance sorting.

Best,
    DeVern
    I've got the book on the bike, and can likely find a connection close to me as fast as some youngster using this app. Phones go down, get lost, apps stop functioning. The BOOK doesn't suffer any of those potential maladies when I need help on the side of the road. If my phone goes down, some passerby can be enlisted to make a few calls. If all you have is the phone and app, and neither is functioning properly, you're stuck out in left field somewhere.

For me, the app will just a convenience, but only a convenience if it can find what I need faster than flipping through the book, which for some may be more difficult, but not for this old boy.

So I downloaded the app, asking for username and password. I plug my username here in with my password, won't take it.

It should. I just logged out of the app. Then logged back in with my MOA credentials.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

So I downloaded the app, asking for username and password. I plug my username here in with my password, won't take it.

Try logging out of the forum, refreshing your browser, and logging back in to verify that the username and password is working. If it gets you into the forum it should work on the app as well. iPhone or Android?

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    It should. I just logged out of the app. Then logged back in with my MOA credentials.
    I've tried it using my username here and my password, no luck 4 times now. I've got a call into the home office, had to leave a message. Thing is, I left a message last Friday morning about not receiving my new membership card as it's been 3 weeks, and no one has called back.

What to hell is going on that the home office can't return a call when they ask you to leave a message and they'll get back to you.

I want my membership card, and I'd like them to figure out why the app won't let me log in with my username and password. If it's going to be this damned difficult to reach the home office, and no call backs, somethings not right.

Try logging out of the forum, refreshing your browser, and logging back in to verify that the username and password is working. If it gets you into the forum it should work on the app as well. iPhone or Android?

Best,
    DeVern
    Android, I'll log out and back in, we'll give that a try.

Thanks

I left a message last Friday morning about not receiving my new membership card as it's been 3 weeks, and no one has called back.

The membership cards go out in groups. I don't know how often, maybe once a month.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878