• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

XPEL Paint Protection

aariura

Hello All

I've been noticing more gravel and little rocks on roads where I ride and was thinking about having the XPEL paint protection film installed on my S1000rr.

Does anyone have any experience with this product and the estimated cost for a full body wrap? I am in southern California and would welcome some recommended installers.

Please give advice and thanks !

Akio

Welcome to the forum!
I don’t have any experience with that product.....I take it that it’s like a film? If it is, I can recommend 3-M Scotchcal film. I use it on wear areas such as running boards/rocker panels and car door edges.
Good luck.
Gary

Welcome to the forum!
I don’t have any experience with that product.....I take it that it’s like a film? If it is, I can recommend 3-M Scotchcal film. I use it on wear areas such as running boards/rocker panels and car door edges.
Good luck.
Gary

Hello Gary...thanks for the welcome. Yes, the XPEL product is very similar to the 3-M product. Thanks for the information and I will continue to research the product.

Thanks again for the advice and welcome.

Akio

Protective film

Hello Akio,
I have used it on my cars and F800GT. With a little practice it is easy to apply and provides fair protection from stone chips.

I you're a member of the BMW Car Club of America, you could get 20% off the cost of XPEL. Here is the blurb on the BMW CCA website:

Screen Shot 2020-01-26 at 12.29.21 PM.png

Ouch on Price: No Regrets on Protection

I've used Paint Protection Film on three bikes now and never had any damage to the protected paint. On my RR, the PPF itself got hazy where my Wunderlich tank bag rested on and rubbed; paint is still perfect, it's the PPF that's a bit hazy. On my K13GT, my PPF on one side got damaged during a minor tip over; not an PPF issue except that when I removed the PPF, it took all the paint with it. I probably should have used a hair dryer or heat gun to loosen it first. My current installer said I should just let it warm up in the sun for a bit before trying to remove anything that stick to paint. For my three bikes, specific PPF kits run a $200-300 and installation by a pro runs about the same. My most recent bike, an 2021 S1000XR, was mix of custom cut pieces and kit pieces, the Wunderlich VentureShield kit was $340 and the labor was $460. This was high because (1) Wunderlich runs high on quality and price and no one else had an 2020-21 Kit at the time and (2) my installer did a bunch of custom pieces to cover areas the kit did not cover. The custom pieces were Xpel.

XR Left Front Post Puig Levers Landscape.jpg

I'm not familiar with that brand, but I've used a similar product from https://thetankslapper.biz/ on a couple of bikes and it seems to work nicely. It looks like they sell the XPel film as well, but I've only ever used their standard product/film..

Back