• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stuck Muffler

mhallman

I'm doing a spline lube on my 2000 R1100RS. I'm having problems separating the muffler. I had to heat the bolt a fair amount to get it to turn and the same for the half moon piece. I tried heating the muffler quite a bit but it still won't budge. Never done this before and I don't want to break anything trying to get it off. Any advice? Should I keep going with the heat? Would WD40 do anything? Thanks in advance.

I'm doing a spline lube on my 2000 R1100RS. I'm having problems separating the muffler. I had to heat the bolt a fair amount to get it to turn and the same for the half moon piece. I tried heating the muffler quite a bit but it still won't budge. Never done this before and I don't want to break anything trying to get it off. Any advice? Should I keep going with the heat? Would WD40 do anything? Thanks in advance.

WD40 is not a good penetrating oil. Kroil is very good but hard to find and expensive. But hardware and auto part stores carry good penetrating oils. I would get and use one of these. P Blaster or something similar would be my choice of those.

Acetone and ATF 50/50 mix if you cannot source Kroil
Don't get near paint or plastic
May take a few applications.

So I have a new problem. The pipes are no longer stuck together (the exhaust pipe will turn on the other pipe), but the muffler will simply not pull out of the other pipe. I moved the clamp off of the outer pipe to see if that may help at all, but to no avail. I worked with it with the MAP gas for a couple hours and it's moved about 2mm. Any suggestions?

Spray the slip connection with penetrating oil and grab the muffler at the rear end and wiggle it around , up and down, side to side. Trying to "stretch" the slip fitting. You can get pretty rough with it.

Glad you got it.

A buddy was trying to pull the mufflers off his Harley and he couldn't get them off. He had all the hardware off and asked for my help. I went over and sprayed 'em with penetrating oil, grabbed the rear of the muffler and stated working it up and down, left and right and had them both off in a minute. He about freaked out at first, thinking I was going to break something. He felt kinda silly when he watched me pull them off.

On reassembly a light application of a suitable high-temp antisieze paste can make things easier next time. BMW calls for Castrol’s Optimal TA and there may be others that will work also. TA can be hard to find-I got my last tin through Motobins (https://www.motobins.co.uk/)

Best,
DeVern

Back