• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rainey Rides Again

If you’re any kind of fan of motorcycle racing, you know who Wayne Rainey is. After winning the 500cc Grand Prix crown in 1990, 1991 and 1992 for Yamaha, he suffered a broken back at the 1993 Italian Grand Prix in Misano and wound up in a wheel chair (he still finished 2nd in the championship that year). Now, after 26 years, Rainey is back on a two-wheeler. Go to your favorite search engine and enter “Rainey rides again” to find a couple of YouTube videos of his rides at Buttonwillow and Suzuka.

And here's the video at Suzuka along with Kenny Roberts:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wOMLYkOYvmw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How awesome is that! Even though its not that technology in play in this video, here's hoping that BMW continues research and development of their autonomous motorcycles so that others like Wayne can experience the thrill riding.

Watching those vids made me very nervous.
It could have easily gone sideways on those guys.
Real glad it worked out and great seeing those guys enjoying them selves.
Those guys Rainey and Roberts and others were my heros's as a youngster.

I get a kick out of that he seemed so calm about riding again. I just about go nuts the first ride in the spring, he waited 26 years. I got emotional just watching the videos. If it was me in his place I would be a basket case full of emotions.

I can't figure out who he is, but I think he is secured to the bike as well. Possibly a Japanese rider, but I don't know :scratch.
That would take some real courage...just think about it.

There has not been a Repsol rider with plate #24 who won an F1 500cc or MotoGP championship. Could have been out there to keep an eye on the old geezers.

Last edited:
Great videos. There was another rider in a wheelchair at the beginning, and number 24 is clearly also strapped ion the bike. Don’t know who though.

It's great seeing Wayne back on a bike, and such an upbeat attitude. It is truly amazing to see technology in action.

Back