Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Trade Value

  1. #1

    Trade Value

    Due to changing riding needs was trading in 2019 R1250 RT with 7000 miles ( all services done by dealer ) and was shocked on how poor the trade value was. As a retired car dealer am obviously very familiar with the process, but what was unbelievable is that when booking out trade value dealers ( including BMW ) use base msrp without adding packages that all owners purchase. The dealer where I have done considerable business did eventually step-up, but I did not trade for another BMW. The RT was my first BMW and was a fabulous bike, but would have thought BMW dealers would have been more supportive of their own product - did not experience this with the many other brand bikes I have owned. Would like to say that my experience with other BMW owners and on this forum has been excellent and was very impressed them.

  2. #2
    Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    Posts
    771
    When/If you see the their resale listing price for your bike....
    The whole story will be known.
    Wishing you well in riding.

    “Travel’n” john

  3. #3
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,782
    FWIW, Kelley Blue Book shows trade-in value of $14,900 and typical listing price of $19,130 for a 2019 R1250RT.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    727

    Was selling on consignment an option?

    My local BMW dealer let me sell my 2013 F800GT w/ 23K miles on consignment as part of the deal I made on a new custom ordered '16 RT. It sold in about 3 months. It was a helluva deal for me, and he made a flat $800 on the deal, though he sold it for $10K.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,440
    Yes, MSRPs on RT's get to that $23 - $25,000 (and higher) mark when a premium package and other items are added. Of course, BMW has their annual purge, typically beginning in November, where thousands are discounted via factory rebates and dealer discounting. When this happens the bottom falls out of the resell/trade in market. Since the original dealer cost is (was 10 years ago from personal knowledge) 15% below MSRP, plus don't forget the $495.00 shipping costs. Minus those figures and ya get an original "value" of $20,000 (or less) from a $24,000 list. If it is designated a DEMO, the dealer cost (value) is even less. So when it becomes a used unit, the trade in value gets down to 30 to 40% off MSRP, depending if your paying list or getting a "discount" for the new unit. The limited BMW market (for initial cost and this very value drop), in a still declining ridership climate does nothing to help. Of course, having a large number of models currently under "do no sell" orders, has dealers holding back in every area.
    Last edited by Motodan; 01-21-2020 at 10:27 PM.
    MOA #46783

  6. #6
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,782
    Thanks for the narrative MotoDan. It reminds me of that old question: How to make a small fortune in the restaurant business? We all know the answer to that.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

  7. #7
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,754
    And to think, I am involved in motorcycling to make money.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  8. #8
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,782
    Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    And to think, I am involved in motorcycling to make money.
    Lemme sign you up for my course in making money as a PI...
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy, and he is us." Pogo/via Walt Kelly

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Cooperstown NY
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Yes, MSRPs on RT's get to that $23 - $25,000 (and higher) mark when a premium package and other items are added. Of course, BMW has their annual purge, typically beginning in November, where thousands are discounted via factory rebates and dealer discounting. When this happens the bottom falls out of the resell/trade in market. Since the original dealer cost is (was 10 years ago from personal knowledge) 15% below MSRP, plus don't forget the $495.00 shipping costs. Minus those figures and ya get an original "value" of $20,000 (or less) from a $24,000 list. If it is designated a DEMO, the dealer cost (value) is even less. So when it becomes a used unit, the trade in value gets down to 30 to 40% off MSRP, depending if your paying list or getting a "discount" for the new unit. The limited BMW market (for initial cost and this very value drop), in a still declining ridership climate does nothing to help. Of course, having a large number of models currently under "do no sell" orders, has dealers holding back in every area.
    I'd think models under "do not sell" would make low mileage, newer used desirable for the dealer- unless the do not sell is killing cash flow.

    (BTW I couldn't initiate a search that indicated any bikes under do not sell!! Somebody scrub the interweb?)

  10. #10
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,462
    Quote Originally Posted by dz0256 View Post
    Due to changing riding needs was trading in 2019 R1250 RT with 7000 miles ( all services done by dealer ) and was shocked on how poor the trade value was.
    Your bike lost 30% (at least) of its value as you rode off the lot. Plus, your bike is less than a year old and the worst depreciation happens in the first year. And, as you well know, the dealer doesn't make any money until he sells your trade in. I trust you'll be happy with your new mount.

  11. #11

    Follow-up

    Interesting comments to my initial post on re-sale value. Wanted to give GO AZ ( Peoria, AZ location) five stars for stepping up and standing behind what they sell. They are also the only dealer I have found that lets you demo any bike when yours is in for service.

    As mentioned in original post about quality of the BMW owners I have come in contact with, would like to say that I sold some of accessories kept when trading in the RT on forum marketplace and could not have had a better experience with the buyers and some great conversations about trips taken.

  12. #12
    BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan will let anyone demo our bikes, at any time (unless snowy/ice roads of course). Our only requirement is that you have a cycle endorsement. Come on down!

  13. #13

    BMW of Southeast MI

    Quote Originally Posted by jargentino View Post
    BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan will let anyone demo our bikes, at any time (unless snowy/ice roads of course). Our only requirement is that you have a cycle endorsement. Come on down!
    Damn, I should of taken that R1250RS for a ride last fall.

    Great people at that dealer. John, Audrey, Kirk, Gary to name a few.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    Damn, I should of taken that R1250RS for a ride last fall.

    Great people at that dealer. John, Audrey, Kirk, Gary to name a few.
    Yup, amazing co-workers, I have. If you had test ridden the 1250, it would be in your garage

Similar Threads

  1. Trade an R for a K?
    By stokesrl in forum Wedge K-bikes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM
  2. Keep my RT, or trade up?
    By SPX in forum Hexheads/Camheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 05:38 AM
  3. Need help with trade
    By mikeb921 in forum Campfire
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
  4. Trade it or keep it??
    By J Brase in forum Airheads
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •