• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trade Value

dz0256

Due to changing riding needs was trading in 2019 R1250 RT with 7000 miles ( all services done by dealer ) and was shocked on how poor the trade value was. As a retired car dealer am obviously very familiar with the process, but what was unbelievable is that when booking out trade value dealers ( including BMW ) use base msrp without adding packages that all owners purchase. The dealer where I have done considerable business did eventually step-up, but I did not trade for another BMW. The RT was my first BMW and was a fabulous bike, but would have thought BMW dealers would have been more supportive of their own product - did not experience this with the many other brand bikes I have owned. Would like to say that my experience with other BMW owners and on this forum has been excellent and was very impressed them.

When/If you see the their resale listing price for your bike....
The whole story will be known.
Wishing you well in riding.

“Travel’n” john

FWIW, Kelley Blue Book shows trade-in value of $14,900 and typical listing price of $19,130 for a 2019 R1250RT.

Was selling on consignment an option?

My local BMW dealer let me sell my 2013 F800GT w/ 23K miles on consignment as part of the deal I made on a new custom ordered '16 RT. It sold in about 3 months. It was a helluva deal for me, and he made a flat $800 on the deal, though he sold it for $10K.

Yes, MSRPs on RT's get to that $23 - $25,000 (and higher) mark when a premium package and other items are added. Of course, BMW has their annual purge, typically beginning in November, where thousands are discounted via factory rebates and dealer discounting. When this happens the bottom falls out of the resell/trade in market. Since the original dealer cost is (was 10 years ago from personal knowledge) 15% below MSRP, plus don't forget the $495.00 shipping costs. Minus those figures and ya get an original "value" of $20,000 (or less) from a $24,000 list. If it is designated a DEMO, the dealer cost (value) is even less. So when it becomes a used unit, the trade in value gets down to 30 to 40% off MSRP, depending if your paying list or getting a "discount" for the new unit. The limited BMW market (for initial cost and this very value drop), in a still declining ridership climate does nothing to help. Of course, having a large number of models currently under "do no sell" orders, has dealers holding back in every area.

Last edited:
Thanks for the narrative MotoDan. It reminds me of that old question: How to make a small fortune in the restaurant business? We all know the answer to that.

Yes, MSRPs on RT's get to that $23 - $25,000 (and higher) mark when a premium package and other items are added. Of course, BMW has their annual purge, typically beginning in November, where thousands are discounted via factory rebates and dealer discounting. When this happens the bottom falls out of the resell/trade in market. Since the original dealer cost is (was 10 years ago from personal knowledge) 15% below MSRP, plus don't forget the $495.00 shipping costs. Minus those figures and ya get an original "value" of $20,000 (or less) from a $24,000 list. If it is designated a DEMO, the dealer cost (value) is even less. So when it becomes a used unit, the trade in value gets down to 30 to 40% off MSRP, depending if your paying list or getting a "discount" for the new unit. The limited BMW market (for initial cost and this very value drop), in a still declining ridership climate does nothing to help. Of course, having a large number of models currently under "do no sell" orders, has dealers holding back in every area.

I'd think models under "do not sell" would make low mileage, newer used desirable for the dealer- unless the do not sell is killing cash flow.

(BTW I couldn't initiate a search that indicated any bikes under do not sell!! Somebody scrub the interweb?)

Due to changing riding needs was trading in 2019 R1250 RT with 7000 miles ( all services done by dealer ) and was shocked on how poor the trade value was.

Your bike lost 30% (at least) of its value as you rode off the lot. Plus, your bike is less than a year old and the worst depreciation happens in the first year. And, as you well know, the dealer doesn't make any money until he sells your trade in. I trust you'll be happy with your new mount. :thumb

Follow-up

Interesting comments to my initial post on re-sale value. Wanted to give GO AZ ( Peoria, AZ location) five stars for stepping up and standing behind what they sell. They are also the only dealer I have found that lets you demo any bike when yours is in for service.

As mentioned in original post about quality of the BMW owners I have come in contact with, would like to say that I sold some of accessories kept when trading in the RT on forum marketplace and could not have had a better experience with the buyers and some great conversations about trips taken.

BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan will let anyone demo our bikes, at any time (unless snowy/ice roads of course). Our only requirement is that you have a cycle endorsement. Come on down!

BMW of Southeast MI

BMW Motorcycles of Southeast Michigan will let anyone demo our bikes, at any time (unless snowy/ice roads of course). Our only requirement is that you have a cycle endorsement. Come on down!

Damn, I should of taken that R1250RS for a ride last fall.

Great people at that dealer. John, Audrey, Kirk, Gary to name a few.

Back