• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated Grips Not Working

erkj79

John Erkan
I have a 2014 RTW and just realized that my right side heated grip stopped working.
Ran my GS 911 and told me there is a short in the circuit.
Looking for a viable repair procedure/thread rather than purchasing a whole new unit.

IMHO, the first step is to find out where in the circuit the short is and go from there. It means you need to trace the wire from the grip to the power source and hope it isn't the grip itself which would need to be replaced. IMHO it is easier to trace a wire from the grip hence my recommendation. YMMV

Did it actually say "short", or did it say "fault". A short is an unintended circuit path to ground without going through the device intended to be powered. An "open" circuit is a break in the path to, through, or from (ground) the device. Most faults on this type of device are open circuits, not short circuits. They are different and need to be troubleshot differently.

The most common fault would be an open in the grip itself. I was able to repair the heater on my '07 RT using a quality soldering gun and some resistance heating wire, but I think BMW has gone to a different type of grip heater and you will most likely need to replace the grip/heater assembly. If you know your way around a volt/ohm meter you can disconnect the heater at the handlebar connector and see what kind of ohm reading you get on the grip heater. My bet is it will read many megaohms.

heated grip

there is a series of photos on the internet showing someone repairing a break in the wire of the heated grips on a bmw bike. They usually break right were the wires start in the grip. I believe it is on advrider but am not sure.

Based upon the findings of others later in the thread, the open circuit could be simply a 'cold solder joint' at the wire connection point to the grip heater element. This means the joint including the heater element and wire had not been correctly heated during the build soldering process. The repair is simply to re-heat the joint with a soldering iron and add a bit of new solder 'if' required.

Back