Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1955 R50 Question

agree completely ... just saw that Salis actually has a large offering of oversized bearings ... I may be in luck after all.

https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/in...?q=07119985010
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / 1955 BMW R50 - Yard Art - 1968 Hodaka / 1968 Sachs
    SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club / VBMWMO

Another update

Getting closer ... think Iíll make my target of a nice ride on my birthday the end of this month. All new bearings in wheels, swingarm, steering head, motor and final drive. Frame was tweaked so had Dr Johns straighten it then sent for powdercoat. Rebuilt all shocks, replaced wiring looms, all new rubber bits, rebuilt the carbs, new cables (not back on yet), bars, trans input and output seals, LED tail light. Do rings this week and anticipate heads back from Randy Long next. A lot of elbow grease shined things up nicely.

Has been sooo much fun, I canít wait to ride it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris - 2015 BMW RT / 1973 BMW R75/5 / 1955 BMW R50 - Yard Art - 1968 Hodaka / 1968 Sachs

Update

I am riding and loving the bike. I got close to my end of Sept goal, but the FD I had a shop rebuild leaked and needed several returns. Probably should have followed Richard @ Benchmarks advice and gone after it myself when the problems started and may have saved myself several installs, leaks found, disassemblies and returns to the shop before reinstalling. The last two times I filled it with gear oil and left it in a pan on paper towels to discover oil bypassing the pinion seal via the grooves on the shaft the first time and to have the issues finally resolved the final (I hope) time. But I digress ... got a fantastic 130 mile loop in yesterday after several 20 miles here, 15 mile there shakedown rides that identified issues like a bad coil, the FD leaks, carb leak at idle jet plug, etc. Yesterday on my 130 mile local canyon ride, the bike handled beautifully, ran flawlessly and looks amazing (to my biased eye). Doing my first oil change and checking the valves again today.

The actual list of repairs were certainly more than I anticipated, but I am building trust that I have exactly what I hoped for, a great riding, nice looking, trustworthy, vintage rider that I can point anywhere I feel like, and not be concerned that the wife be accessible with the truck :-) I collected a couple of containers worth of parts as the project progressed that sit on my shelf as a keepsake of a very rewarding project.

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 10.03.55 AM.png

As I mentioned when I started this, I have been riding all my life. I have not missed a season (primarily dirt) or been without a bike since 1968, but this is the very first time I have taken a bike down to every nut and bolt and refurbished it to this condition. I don't know if I will get the chance again, but it has been a great learning experience and I am thankful and appreciative to be this "bikes custodian" (to quote Charlie above.)

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 10.02.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 10.05.03 AM.png

Glad you're getting it down the road! Maybe you should bring those two jars with you in case you need a part or two when away from home?
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!