Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vin numbers on 1955 R26

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17

    Vin numbers on 1955 R26

    Hi all, been a member of Moa for a while now and have a 1995 K1100, 1976 R75/6 and just purchased a 1955 R26. Looking forward to doing a restoration on it. Not sure about stamped numbers on engine and frame , obviously not matching. If anyone has any knowledge could you enlighten me?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave Manchester
    AAA62BF6-511F-4A82-A839-EAECAD4978A4.jpg

    666BB128-E136-48E4-8DD7-740778DBA0D4.jpeg

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17

    Seems it is really a r25/3

    Quote Originally Posted by themanchesters@mac.com View Post
    Hi all, been a member of Moa for a while now and have a 1995 K1100, 1976 R75/6 and just purchased a 1955 R26. Looking forward to doing a restoration on it. Not sure about stamped numbers on engine and frame , obviously not matching. If anyone has any knowledge could you enlighten me?
    Thanks in advance
    Dave Manchester
    AAA62BF6-511F-4A82-A839-EAECAD4978A4.jpg

    666BB128-E136-48E4-8DD7-740778DBA0D4.jpeg


    Seems like it is really a r25/3

  3. #3
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    15,122
    Welcome to the forum!
    Kurt has Resources and Links and the first section has a number of ways to check your VIN.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rces-and-Links

    Have a peek.

    Good luck.

    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Welcome to the forum!
    Kurt has Resources and Links and the first section has a number of ways to check your VIN.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...rces-and-Links

    Have a peek.

    Good luck.

    Gary
    Thank you Gary!

  5. #5
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    21,339
    Welcome to the forum as well! You seemed to have determined that it is indeed an R25/3 with non-matching numbers...it didn't leave the factory that way. It might be helpful if you could post a picture of the bike.

    Gary provided a link to resources. Also check this website for the range of your numbers...it clearly falls in the R25/3 range.

    http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...hassisto69.htm

    In this thread, the last post has an old list of model year versus VIN numbers.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...nd-Build-Dates

    You can see that your bike falls in the 1954 to 1955 range...hard to no precisely.

    It may be hard to ever find the matching engine or frame. Frame could have be wrecked and this one was substituted; engine could have blown up and was not worth fixing. However, there is an orphan list where numbers are posted in case someone finds the frame sitting in a shed and it happens to match. The site is here:

    http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?...=317&Itemid=42

    Your numbers aren't on the list. If you wanted to put them on the list "in case" something good happens in the future, let me know.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    17

    Thanks Kurt

    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Welcome to the forum as well! You seemed to have determined that it is indeed an R25/3 with non-matching numbers...it didn't leave the factory that way. It might be helpful if you could post a picture of the bike.

    Gary provided a link to resources. Also check this website for the range of your numbers...it clearly falls in the R25/3 range.

    http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/chassispage...hassisto69.htm

    In this thread, the last post has an old list of model year versus VIN numbers.

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...nd-Build-Dates

    You can see that your bike falls in the 1954 to 1955 range...hard to no precisely.

    It may be hard to ever find the matching engine or frame. Frame could have be wrecked and this one was substituted; engine could have blown up and was not worth fixing. However, there is an orphan list where numbers are posted in case someone finds the frame sitting in a shed and it happens to match. The site is here:

    http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?...=317&Itemid=42

    Your numbers aren't on the list. If you wanted to put them on the list "in case" something good happens in the future, let me know.


    Hey Kurt,
    Thanks for the info! I was researching before picking up the bike. Have it home now. It is an R25/3. Has it on tag and frame and tag match unfortunately the engine does not but falls in the R25/3 production range.
    1085EED0-52B8-49C0-8FE0-94920AE3331C.jpeg
    BA75F2DB-2F82-4976-AB4E-1B07CB9F91F5.jpg
    EDDD22B4-D37D-4775-ADFF-F64BA490359A.jpg
    3DF7F33B-77D4-475F-B0AE-BC2EDFE3375F.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. 1955 R50 Question
    By cwroady in forum Vintage
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-01-2020, 02:21 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 01:34 AM
  3. Part Numbers vs. Casting Numbers
    By k1300gtglenn in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
  4. moved my 1955 r50 inside the other day...
    By OldAndBusted in forum Vintage
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •