Thread: New member, new rider

New member, new rider

Turned 50 last year and decided to stop fighting gravity and use internal combustion to climb hills. Zero motorcycle experience save for 500 miles in my wife's Honda scooter. It was fuscia with pink flowers and a basket.

I live in Iowa, and "work" (volunteer) in Colorado during ski season. Business has taken me all over the world, and I'd like to add motorcycle skills so work travel isn't so damn boring. Also, skiing and riding are both things you can do until the dirt nap.

Welcome to the forum and the MOA. I strongly recommend you take an available MSF basic riders course. Or, any other available basic rider training. After that, get more training.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Welcome to the forum.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Welcome

Welcome to the forum and I would highly recommend you to take some training courses. It make huge changes on riding safety.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlandskier View Post
    Turned 50 last year and decided to stop fighting gravity and use internal combustion to climb hills. Zero motorcycle experience save for 500 miles in my wife's Honda scooter. It was fuscia with pink flowers and a basket.

I live in Iowa, and "work" (volunteer) in Colorado during ski season. Business has taken me all over the world, and I'd like to add motorcycle skills so work travel isn't so damn boring. Also, skiing and riding are both things you can do until the dirt nap.
    Welcome from the coast of Kansas. Glad to have you with us on the journey of life. At one time or another, all of us were new riders and new members, so you will be among friends here. What kind of two-wheeler do you have? or are thinking about getting? Can I presume that, since you are on a BMW site that is already your brand?
    Royce
    On the coast of Kansas
    2012 F800ST

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Welcome from the coast of Kansas. Glad to have you with us on the journey of life. At one time or another, all of us were new riders and new members, so you will be among friends here. What kind of two-wheeler do you have? or are thinking about getting? Can I presume that, since you are on a BMW site that is already your brand?
    Many moons ago, I was lucky enough to get several free trips to the "4-Cylinder" in Munich courtesy of the automotive side of BMW. I worked at a dealership that was highly regarded and BMW corporate used us as a sounding board for new car interior features. They treated me well, and I like the precision of German engineering. So yes, I'll be a buyer soon- exact model unknown.

Iowa Pure Stodge BMW club

My name is Steve. Where in Iowa do you live? I would be happy to assist you in anyway I can. BMW has many great bikes for all different styles of riding. I am with the Pure Stodge Touring association. contact me at carsonjs@hughes.net

My advice would be "Listen to Carson" in IA! Don't be too hasty to jump on a new and stylish highly technical 2020 Beemer. Find a suitable "First bike," and fall over once or twice on it {which is inevitable}... My 1st bike was a New Bonneville in '72; it got dropped more than once - DOH! And don't forget some "WORTHWHILE" Training! Ciao, HSV-Phil

welcome to the forum. Ride that scooter for a while to get a feel of the road, handling, etc. I went from a classic vespa, to modern vespa, to maxi scooter, and now F800GS.

MSF courses will help your basic understanding. Youtube is also a great place but listen to as many opinions as you can.