Thread: '01 K1200LT Coolant leak at thermostat

'01 K1200LT Coolant leak at thermostat

I had a slight leak, replaced the O-ring. Still leakek. Took back apart, looked for cracks or burrs in radiator neck, found none. Broke one of the fingers/clips on the Thermostat.

Installed a new thermostat and O-ring, but it still leaks around the O-ring. I'm sure it's around the O-ring since I can see it coming out from the clip.

Don't know what I'm missing, or what I could be doing wrong. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions?
    Last edited by richw; 01-19-2020 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typos

Crack in hose adjacent to???

This is a wild guess.

I'm totally lacking in mechanical knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbears View Post
    This is a wild guess.

I'm totally lacking in mechanical knowledge.
    Thanks, but I don't think the hose is the problem. I removed and inspected it, and additionally the fluid appears above the hose connection at the clip holding in the thermostat.

Got any photos to help us visualize what your seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDiCarlo View Post
    Got any photos to help us visualize what your seeing?
    I'll try to get a photo today. Still haven't resolved this, and looking for advice.

Might even try some form-a-gasket or something similar.
    Parker makes something called "Parker O-lube" as well. I used grease as suggested, and hesitate to use anything "stickier", since it would be difficult to take apart.

Edit: I used silicone grease - which is supposed to be water resistant. Parker O-lube is hydrocarbon resistant, and I suspect not better. I understand there is silicone "faucet grease" - perhaps that would work?
    Last edited by richw; 02-01-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Still not resolved.

I removed and re-installed the thermostat using "Dow-Corning 3" silicone diaelectric (waterproof, rated for high temp, and somewhat thicker than silicone grease or faucet grease).

Still leaks. Unless someone has a better idea, the next step will be to remove the radiator to see if I can determine the cause.

I tried to upload some pictures, but the upload failed. I'll try again later.

Could it be the plastic/ceramic part of the thermostat itself??? Without seeing it, educated guess!!! After what you've said.....

The O-ring(6) forms the seal and prevents coolant leakage. The purpose of the grease is only to keep the O-ring from being twisted or distorted during installation. That distortion can create gaps that allow leakage, and any leakage will push grease out of the way.

ring.jpg
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Clayshooter - I think that you are correct - something is cracked or warped as you suggest. I can't see anything with the radiator in place, and have not yet removed it.

Larry - yep. The grease at best delays the leak for a short time, as you suggest.

Still having trouble uploading a photo, but the diagram Lee provided probably shows it more clearly anyway. The leakage appears to be coming from the O-ring seal, but without removing the radiator I can't be certain.

Thanks for the input. I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by richw; 02-11-2020 at 12:27 AM.