• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation for tail bag

Dp1guzzi

MOA 27106
Hello all. I want a tail bag for my 1986 R80 RT. I’d like a soft bag with some side support and several compartments. I guess waterproof would be good, if possible, but not essential. I would appreciate recommendations for a bag that will fit securely. Thanks!

Another place to look

Another website to check out is Revzilla for many chooses of tailbags. Go luck. :wave

I've had a Chase Harper USA "CHR Sport Tail Trunk" for a dozen years and used it on several bikes. It has 4 connected bungees and 3 zippered compartments besides the main one.

It is only one of about 12 or so trunk bags on their website.

I wasn't looking for a bag when I saw it, but I bought it because the design seemed practical, was high quality and the only bag in any motorcycle shop that I had seen that was made in the USA.
Bill

Last edited:
I've had a Chase Harper USA "CHR Sport Tail Trunk" for a dozen years and used it on several bikes. It has 4 connected bungees and 3 zippered compartments besides the main one.
I'll post a photo later.
It is only one of about 12 or so trunk bags on their website.
I wasn't looking for a bag when I saw it, but because the design seemed practical, was high quality and the only bag in any motorcycle shop that I had seen that was made in the USA, I bought it.
Bill

If you could post a picture of the bag on the bike, that would be great. Also, I would have posted a picture of the rack on my bike, but I couldn’t figure out how to post a picture. Any advice would be appreciated.

This is the best I could find.
It is not a stylish bag but it has worked for me.

sddfcv 315.jpg

sddfcv 041.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
Wolfman Luggage has just revamped their line and is claimed to be waterproof. I can attest to the ruggedness of their gear, but I have not tested this specific bag

TL-1-Peak-Tail-Bag-a_1024x1024.jpg

TL-1-Peak-Tail-Bag-b_1024x1024.jpg

Ian

I have a Wolfman bag. Nothing fancy. It has been in a few rainstorms withing more than a little dampness.

I get a kick out of the bag selection and related prices. I bought two gym bags from Walmart 15 years ago. They were canvas impregnated with some sort of poly, less than $10 each. They have been strapped on the back of my motorcycles many times over the year and never had a issue with wet clothing. I had to replace them this summer, but now I drag a Unigo trailer so I bought bags to toss into the trailer, another $10 each at Walmart!

Look good?

The R80 has only a small rail, like the front part of the OEM rack in your picture. I suppose I would put the bag on the rear seat.

I do however also have an R100 with the OEM type rack you illustrated. What bag would be good for that?

Thanks

As they say: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To me, what looks good comes after what fits and doesn't harm the paint or appear to be dangerous (hanging too far off the sides or too high to get my leg over)
When you can answer those questions then you're on your way. So what works for you is the best answer.

Back