• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2015 RT Mirror removal/access

My left mirror housing is pretty broken up and needs to be replaced. I have taken everything off around it, but for the life of me I can't get that front upper panel (the one that's attached to the clear air deflectors) off to access the two removal screws that hold the mirror in place.

And there is no screw on the underside.

Someone please help!!!

How did you go at getting the panel off?

i'm going to try tomorrow. Thursday/Friday are my weekend days, and I've been busy and then knocked on my a$$ with a nasty cold/flu that I'm just getting over.

I'm still trying to figure out if I even need to remove the mirror just to replace the housing. Even with the parts, fiche, and the part in my hand, I can't figure out how it attaches to the rest of the mirror structure. And I don't want to take everything apart only to find out that I'm missing "part whatever" that is need to attach the new housing to the old mirror.

And my research has come up empty. Other than what you see here.

i'm going to try tomorrow. Thursday/Friday are my weekend days, and I've been busy and then knocked on my a$$ with a nasty cold/flu that I'm just getting over.

I'm still trying to figure out if I even need to remove the mirror just to replace the housing. Even with the parts, fiche, and the part in my hand, I can't figure out how it attaches to the rest of the mirror structure. And I don't want to take everything apart only to find out that I'm missing "part whatever" that is need to attach the new housing to the old mirror.

And my research has come up empty. Other than what you see here.

I replaced the mirror housing, you need to remove the entire mirror. You only have 3 parts to remove, the speaker cover, speaker and the panel. Look at the replacement housing it will help you understand how to ease it out to replace. FYI there is a string tether attached to the mirror housing.

Consider purchasing a BMW DVD RepRom. It will save both you both time and money.
Follow the illustrations through the individual removal steps, then install things in reverse sequence.
Good luck.

1 - Replacing Left Mirror.jpg

2 - Remove left Speaker Cover.jpg

3 - Remove Left Speaker.jpg

4 - Remove Left Front-Fairing Panel.jpg

5 - Remove Left Mirror.jpg

Consider purchasing a BMW DVD RepRom.

I totally agree. Buy one of the BMW Manuals on DVD which are readily available on ebay. I tried removing my 2016 RT headlight assy using the Haynes Manual, which was not very helpful, so I waited until I had my hands on a BMW DVD manual. The step by step instructions made it very clear.

DVD RepRom

Here is the way I look at it. Knowledge is the most valuable tool in your tool box. Whether you are a beginner or an expert at repairs, looking at the procedures before you tackle a project is important so you know whether to start, what to arm yourself with as far as tools go, how to properly tighten or replace fasteners & fluids, or leave it to somebody else if you don't feel capable. It's more valuable than varied forum opinions or less than complete advise (oil, crash bars, tires, etc). Forum opinions are a source of good and bad insight, preferences, and experiences, and that's fine for deciding what products or procedures you may wish to follow, but the manufacturer's procedure is right there in a regularly updated DVD.

For $111 you could have the official BMW repair manual. Your simple scratched mirror housing cost you at least half that, and if you hamburger the inner housing or glass it could cost you even more than the DVD. The alternative is to take the bike to a dealer to do everything, and their minimum charge is more than $111 per hour. You would definitely be ahead on this one by having the DVD first.

Here is the way I look at it. Knowledge is the most valuable tool in your tool box. Whether you are a beginner or an expert at repairs, looking at the procedures before you tackle a project is important so you know whether to start, what to arm yourself with as far as tools go, how to properly tighten or replace fasteners & fluids, or leave it to somebody else if you don't feel capable. It's more valuable than varied forum opinions or less than complete advise (oil, crash bars, tires, etc). Forum opinions are a source of good and bad insight, preferences, and experiences, and that's fine for deciding what products or procedures you may wish to follow, but the manufacturer's procedure is right there in a regularly updated DVD.

For $111 you could have the official BMW repair manual. Your simple scratched mirror housing cost you at least half that, and if you hamburger the inner housing or glass it could cost you even more than the DVD. The alternative is to take the bike to a dealer to do everything, and their minimum charge is more than $111 per hour. You would definitely be ahead on this one by having the DVD first.

Plus 1 for the DVD. An official copyright version.

Plus 1 for the DVD. An official copyright version.

Indeed. You can always buy that illegal bootlegged copy off the internet somewhere if saving those few bucks is where your personal ethics lead you. The chances of getting caught are somewhere between nil and zero. Let your personal sense of right and wrong be your guide.

And of course, I can't figure out how to remove the "body bound rivet". It's not one of those center push-button rivets like in the picture. It's just a solid, flat disc.

This is making me insane.

*UPDATE*

And it doesn't matter, because I destroyed the rivet trying to get it out. The upside, however, is that I DID get it out, the mirror housing IS replaced, and the bike is buttoned back up. Minus one body bound rivet.

Which I will have to purchase.

Thank you all so much for all your help. I appreciate the time it took to post those detailed walkthroughs. I owe you all a beer. Let me know when you're in Vegas and I'll make good on that debt.

Last edited:
I guess no that you have the new "body bound rivet", as well as the trashed one, you have worked out how they work. Mine was difficult to get out and took a bit of force to get to release and come out.

I don’t have the new one. Just trashed the existing one yesterday and dealers are closed until tomorrow. Hope I can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To anyone who was paying attention to this thread:

I have been through a few weeks of parts searching with Tim at Sierra BMW (and he has been phenomenal. WAY above and beyond) and we have both exhausted our resources. Either they changed the part on later models or something is missing that neither I nor the guys at Sierra BMW can find and we have spent some serious time poring over the parts fiche. Both together and separately.

I am at the point where I'm simply going to try and find SOME sort of expandable rivet that will fit and use that because I'm stumped. FWIW it is the "body bound rivet" in the first image.

attachment.php

Back