• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RID Wiring Connections

There is an RID on fleabay for a 1995 R1100GS, does anyone know if the wiring harnesses on these bikes has the connection for the RID? Looking at the parts microfiche it appears there is no separate wiring harness for this display, I’m thinking the standard wiring harness has the connection for this.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Charlie

There is an RID on fleabay for a 1995 R1100GS, does anyone know if the wiring harnesses on these bikes has the connection for the RID? Looking at the parts microfiche it appears there is no separate wiring harness for this display, I’m thinking the standard wiring harness has the connection for this.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Charlie

The connector needed to interface is located under the front of the tank at the top of the headstock in the middle - It is Grey and has 8 Pins.
If that is there you are good to go.

Attachments

• Connectors.png
    Connectors.png
    303.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Thanks to all for the advice, I bought the unit and will install when I get the other parts. A good winter project while doing the fuel tank filter too!

Hey! I was just playing with my RID connector!

1997 R1100RS, was just fixing a headlight problem. While in the dash, I didn't like the routing of a couple wire looms. One of them was the RID. On my model, it is not quite under the tank. It is very accessible on right side, with a couple other grey multi-plugs, but high near headstock. If you open it up, you will see it plainly. Mine had a bad kink in it, up against a strut for the fairing. Took off cover, pulled 8-pin plug, put on some dielectric grease, and re-routed it around the strut. If it doesn't cure anything (no problem apparent) at least it made me feel better :):) Plug and play, for that item.

The connector needed to interface is located under the front of the tank at the top of the headstock in the middle - It is Grey and has 8 Pins.
If that is there you are good to go.

Well I bought the unit and all is good. I’m now figuring out the easiest way to cutout the dash piece for mounting, any ideas other than scoring the piece and using a dremel cutting wheel?
Thanks,
Charlie

Back