• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250 GS Hayes Brake Caliper Failure

dd3e4ebbf8ee9a27937e1ae4b1fd1396.jpg

Just did my own upgrade to my RT
Now I understand the phrase "wooden feeling brakes".

Frank

One of the unlucky ones

Rolled my brand new bike out of the garage a few days after delivered by the dealer, fluid all over the rim and and bottom of caliper. 4 miles on the clock. Pretty bummed out.

Delivery choice

I just got an email from my dealer today. My undelivered 1250RT is still waiting for brakes from BMW. The dealer offered me the bike (i.e. close the sale and pay), I can take it back later when the brakes are in. I do not know if my bike is leaking or not. Just seeking some advice on whether to take the bike so I can fit up all my accessories (e.g. Lights) during this covid down time. Just wondering if the bike is safe to ride during the break in period or if the leak will cause pad or tire contamination or unsafe stops. Is wiping and monitoring fluid levels a safe option.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I just got an email from my dealer today. My undelivered 1250RT is still waiting for brakes from BMW. The dealer offered me the bike (i.e. close the sale and pay), I can take it back later when the brakes are in. I do not know if my bike is leaking or not. Just seeking some advice on whether to take the bike so I can fit up all my accessories (e.g. Lights) during this covid down time. Just wondering if the bike is safe to ride during the break in period or if the leak will cause pad or tire contamination or unsafe stops. Is wiping and monitoring fluid levels a safe option.

Thoughts?

Can you elaborate why your undelivered RT is waiting for brakes? If the calipers start to leak, you won't be riding. How long will it take for the new parts to arrive? One month, two months, three months? The warranty clock starts upon delivery. If the bike is idle waiting for the parts to show up, the warranty clock is still ticking away. Once you pay for the bike, the problem is yours. Right now its the dealers problem. There is no way I would accept delivery of a vehicle with a known unresolved issue. That's just asking for trouble.

Brake calipers leaking

Thoughts?

Congratulations on the pending purchase - a great motorcycle.

I agree with Blacque Jacque Shellacque on not taking delivery. The dealer can apply far more pressure on BMW than you can - who is the larger customer to BMW? In my view, once you have taken possession of the bike, it now is a service issue and you'll need to get in line with the rest of the world's customers to get the replacement calipers - and you have forfeited any leverage. I would be telling the sales mgr/GM you'll take delivery once the replacement calipers are installed and make it their problem, not yours.

With covid, I'm sure there are significant issues with production and delivery so the wait for Hayes might be quite some time -

Continued brake issues and Stop Sale

It appears as though the saga continues with the brake issues.

My 2019 r1250 GSA which I purchased in February of 2019 and was recently stolen had no issues with the front brakes, I did take it to the dealer to get inspected prior to leaving on a big trip back in July and they gave me the all clear. The bike had about 7,500 miles on it when it got stolen and like I said had no issues whatsoever with the front brakes.

This is where it gets maddening though. As a replacement to my old bike I ordered a 2021 R1250 GSA about 3 weeks ago and I was told last week that a recall and stop sale on the bikes had been issued because of the front brakes again. It seems to me that BMW have had nearly a year to resolve this fault but not only haven't they fixed it on the 19 and 20 model years they keep making the bikes with exactly the same problem. Its absolutely infuriating and does nothing but erode customer confidence in the brand.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm more than a little ticked off.:banghead

I ordered a 2021 1250gs and just learned of this recall and delay too. Disappointing.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

My 2019 r1250 GSA which I purchased in February of 2019 and was recently stolen had no issues with the front brakes, I did take it to the dealer to get inspected prior to leaving on a big trip back in July and they gave me the all clear. The bike had about 7,500 miles on it when it got stolen and like I said had no issues whatsoever with the front brakes.

This is where it gets maddening though. As a replacement to my old bike I ordered a 2021 R1250 GSA about 3 weeks ago and I was told last week that a recall and stop sale on the bikes had been issued because of the front brakes again. It seems to me that BMW have had nearly a year to resolve this fault but not only haven't they fixed it on the 19 and 20 model years they keep making the bikes with exactly the same problem. Its absolutely infuriating and does nothing but erode customer confidence in the brand.

No sweat about the rant! Sorry to read you bike was stolen to top it all off...:banghead

Don't think that the dealers aren't ticked off either. Yesterday I was at 441 Cycle in FT Lauderdale for an annual brake flush and they told me all about the 40 year anniversary event they were supposed to have. But with no bikes to show, it was called off.. One would think someone at BMW would wake up...

From another thread, it seems like there is still problems with the replacement calipers. New parts have the same issue.

From another thread, it seems like there is still problems with the replacement calipers. New parts have the same issue.

I stopped by the local dealer this last Wednesday and picked up some new summer gloves. While there, I asked how it was going with the recall on the Hayes calipers. In short, the answer was, "not well". Like you said the replacement calipers are having the same exact issue. According to the folks at the dealer, BMW is trying to come up with another plan as the replacement calipers have the same problem. My bike has an active recall, but activity on the recall itself has been halted as well as a resumption of a stop sale on all the bikes with Hayes calipers. Sounds like a colossal mess. At some point, I would expect that BMW may have to buy some bikes back given that this does not seem to be getting solved anytime too. I think the moral of the story is choose your suppliers wisely and quality check everything from the ones you choose.

I am one of the lucky owners who have not experienced any leaks on my 2019 RT. My fingers remain crossed.

I stopped by the local dealer this last Wednesday and picked up some new summer gloves. While there, I asked how it was going with the recall on the Hayes calipers. In short, the answer was, "not well". Like you said the replacement calipers are having the same exact issue. According to the folks at the dealer, BMW is trying to come up with another plan as the replacement calipers have the same problem. My bike has an active recall, but activity on the recall itself has been halted as well as a resumption of a stop sale on all the bikes with Hayes calipers. Sounds like a colossal mess. At some point, I would expect that BMW may have to buy some bikes back given that this does not seem to be getting solved anytime too. I think the moral of the story is choose your suppliers wisely and quality check everything from the ones you choose.

I am one of the lucky owners who have not experienced any leaks on my 2019 RT. My fingers remain crossed.

Not sure they will start buying bikes back for leaking brake calipers. They need to sit down with Brembo and work out a deal on replacements for all these bikes. The Brembos bolt right on! I took delivery of my 2019 with Brembos back in January. I just refused to buy the bike with Hayes calipers on it. Im just amazed that this is still going on

Not sure they will start buying bikes back for leaking brake calipers. They need to sit down with Brembo and work out a deal on replacements for all these bikes. The Brembos bolt right on! I took delivery of my 2019 with Brembos back in January. I just refused to buy the bike with Hayes calipers on it. Im just amazed that this is still going on

my solution to the problem. Pic of my 2020

Attachments

• PXL_20201113_203514344.jpg
    PXL_20201113_203514344.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 174

The NHTSA website shows no recall for the 2021 GS & GSA for brakes. It does show a recall for a sticker on the bike with tire pressures. Here's a screenshot of Recall 20V-495:

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 9.08.45 AM.png

Hi I am at my wits end and need some help. Searched the forum so sorry if I'm redundant here but cannot find an applicable thread. In late July I traded my 2014 GS 700 for a new 2019 R 1250 GS at Falcone BMW in Indianapolis. Nothing but joy as I broke in the engine rest of summer/fall. Performed break in service in October at dealership. Now the facts:

Received notice that Falcone was closing its doors Oct. 31 and a new dealership (Tom Wood) would carry the franchise beginning in 2020. I thought no big deal and winterized the bike thinking I'm good until 6000 service at which time the new dealer would be up and running here.

Early December as I walked past the bike to my car I noticed a fluid pool from front caliper on front rim. Called old service manager at Falcone who is now at another shop and asked what's up. He reported BMW knows about this and has known for some time and is surprised there is not a recall. He had several disaster stories of course (showroom bikes leaking, new bikes from BMW already leaking in the box upon arrival) and said of course to park it (already was for winter) and to either 1) wait until new dealership is live or 2) Call roadside and have it taken to Cincinnati BMW which is what I did. That was December 4th.

When I called the Cincinnati service manager to say the bike is on the way he echoed the former service manager in Indy. He has seen the problem on several bikes (both showroom and in-service like mine), has no idea why there has not been a recall, and is getting no guidance from BMW other than "send the pictures in".

Now that it is six weeks later and there is still no update I'm not sure what my remedies are other than to wait on BMW and at some point I presume to be told "we fixed it".

My question is to anyone who can provide insight (technical, current BMW responses, product liability attorneys). If BMW head service advisors (one former, one current) are perplexed as to how BMW is handling this and acknowledge there are a bunch of us out there with faulty brakes, even has a service advisory out, then why has there not been a recall. All it takes is one death and BMW knowing of the problem to unleash a legal process, a massive PR problem (BMW knew about faulty brakes but let their customers keep riding), and certainly a customer loyalty issue.

Lastly, when I get the bike back how will I know (absent putting Brembo's on which are on all 2020's) the "retooled" calipers are safe. BMW did not know the original brakes were not safe, now they want me to have my wife drive me two hours to Cincinnati, they flip me the keys, and I ride back on I-70? No thanks.

just for info.

I own a 2020RT. The 2020s do NOT have Brembos in the front. See my thread "100% guaranteed fix for leaking Hayes calipers" above.

You have posted this across other Forums with no information on HOW you got them.

Did you buy them?

Did a dealer install them to make you happy?

It would be nice if you explained rather then just post up a picture.

that's not quite correct. I refer you to my post "Guaranteed 100% fix for leaking Hayes calipers" in this same Wetheads topic. It explains in great detail "how they got there" and has a detailed breakdown of the cost, etc.

Never mind, I see on another thread you paid $2000.00 plus, out of your pocket, to do this.

It would be what I would want to do. However no way would I have reached into my own pocket.

With stop orders and all going on, it will get sorted.

If I were you I would at least ask BMW for the cost of the Hayes Calipers back towards all the money you put out of pocket. Including labor as no matter what there is going to be labor cost involved.

That, of course, has been done. But I'm not holding my breath:)

Reading all this I have to wonder what else did BMW go cheap on?

M

If I had to guess, they didn’t send out bikes the would purposely fail.
I doubt BMW will ever be able to state why the Hayes were chosen.
The good thing is that there is a three year warranty.
OM

Back