Thread: My 2011 RT

My 2011 RT with upgrades

Bought this 2011 R1200RT in May of 2018 and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know it. Itís light weight and nimble (for a Sport Touring bike) and a joy to ride in the twisty canyons here in Colorado. I had the exhaust pipes and muffler ceramic coated by Jet Hot. No more blue and brown pipes, always shiny silver and runs cooler. I was able to upgrade my radio to SiriusXM, even though BMW says it is not possible. Swapped out my radio communications module with one from a 2012 RT that has sat radio built in and added the latest antenna from SiriusXM. Works perfectly. Also upgraded all lighting to LED. Cyclops H7 headlights are an amazing improvement over Halogen. Oil cooler guard is by Touratech and adds a nice finished look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dcole; 01-16-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Nick Kennedy
    That's a real sweet looking ride you got there.
    Don't get too many speeding tickets, Ask me how I know sometime!

Welcome to the forum! Customized bike...what's not to like!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Talking

I've found it's very easy to speed and not even know it. So far no tickets.

What specific color and/or finish did you get from JetHot, and is it holding up well, or subject to scratches pretty easily?
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    What specific color and/or finish did you get from JetHot, and is it holding up well, or subject to scratches pretty easily?
    Jet Hot color is called Classic Polish. Holds up very well. Manufacturer says you can hit it with a hammer, but I'm not about to try that. Very reasonable price. Cost me about $250 for entire job.

I was only asking as I had mine done on my '09RT a couple of years back by CCP Coatings in Detroit. It was done in bright satin silver finish. It looked great for a little while but it scratches so easily. And no high heat paint will cover the scratches without baking right off. Maybe time for a redo at JetHot......
    2009 R1200RT, 2005 R1200C Montauk (The elusive Piedmont Red & Silver "350" commemorative model); and 2002 R1200C Montana
    Moderator of www.Chromeheads.org

Quote Originally Posted by rocketmanli View Post
    I was only asking as I had mine done on my '09RT a couple of years back by CCP Coatings in Detroit. It was done in bright satin silver finish. It looked great for a little while but it scratches so easily. And no high heat paint will cover the scratches without baking right off. Maybe time for a redo at JetHot......
    Not sure how the two companies processes compare but JetHot says you can use chrome or metal polish to work out any minor scratches. Larger ones can be worked with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper followed by metal polish.

Nice bike.....I'm looking for one to buy right now. You just can't beat the handling and performance of these bmw's!