• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

F800GS break-in period and first service. Suggestions?

Zwniana

Trying to break in my new motorcycle. Should I be focusing on something specific or just fluctuating my speed and RPMs while keeping them below 5500 RPM.

As it probably won’t take me too long to get to the 600 mile mark. Is this a service that I can perform on my own or is this something that I better take to the dealership.

Welcome to the forum!
I just varied the speed on my F800GS, good for engine and drive train. +1 on first dealer service. It gives you a chance to develop a bit of a relationship with the service department.
Check the F-Twins section for the collection of helpful F-Twin threads.
Gary

Is this a service that I can perform on my own or is this something that I better take to the dealership.

The service is easy to do but you may want to take it to the dealer so they can hook it up to the computer, check for faults and download the latest software.
On our 2003 K1200RSs I did most of the 600 mile service then took it to the dealer for the computer check.
I was going to do the same on our 2011 K1300Ss but I ended up having the dealer do it all because they only charged for the oil and part.
When I purchased our R1200RSs I asked for a free 600 mile service and they agreed.
On future bikes I plan to take them in for the 600 mile check even if I have to pay for it.

Back