Thread: How is everyone doing with the new 310's?

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Question How is everyone doing with the new 310's?

Seems like things have died down on these 310's. I was expecting there to be a quick "snap up" of existing stock, but they are available.

How is the ride?

How comfortable is the seat- with a comparison to another seat you like?

Vibration at speed?

Is it meeting reasonable expectations as a "good all around ride"?

Is it really more of a "quick hop" machine and you really would rather take the big bike for anything serious?

I'd be interested on how these are working out, especially with the rebirth of the Honda Mini-Trail right around the corner.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Seems like things have died down on these 310's. I was expecting there to be a quick "snap up" of existing stock, but they are available.

How is the ride?

How comfortable is the seat- with a comparison to another seat you like?

Vibration at speed?

Is it meeting reasonable expectations as a "good all around ride"?

Is it really more of a "quick hop" machine and you really would rather take the big bike for anything serious?

I'd be interested on how these are working out, especially with the rebirth of the Honda Mini-Trail right around the corner.

OM
    Our trip to Des Moines and then to Republic, Washington and back to New Mexico was just over 4,400 miles. Then a couple of weeks later our trip to and from Duluth, MN for the Aerostich Very Boring Rally was just over 2,300 miles. Cruising at up to 75 with ease and a top speed of 90 works well. Our trip from home to Kerrville, Texas and back were over 400 mile days and the seats were just fine. I do not detect any bothersome vibration in the bars, seat, or pegs but do see a little in the mirrors. Stiff headwinds can be a bother and the fuel tank is too small at 2.9 gallons. Both of our 310GS bikes are over 11,000 miles and approaching 12,000. They have been the only bikes we have ridden for the past four months and I would rate them excellent all-around bikes. Not a K1600 for sure. Not an RT for sure. But excellent travel bikes nonetheless.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Our trip to Des Moines and then to Republic, Washington and back to New Mexico was just over 4,400 miles. Then a couple of weeks later our trip to and from Duluth, MN for the Aerostich Very Boring Rally was just over 2,300 miles. Cruising at up to 75 with ease and a top speed of 90 works well. Our trip from home to Kerrville, Texas and back were over 400 mile days and the seats were just fine. I do not detect any bothersome vibration in the bars, seat, or pegs but do see a little in the mirrors. Stiff headwinds can be a bother and the fuel tank is too small at 2.9 gallons. Both of our 310GS bikes are over 11,000 miles and approaching 12,000. They have been the only bikes we have ridden for the past four months and I would rate them excellent all-around bikes. Not a K1600 for sure. Not an RT for sure. But excellent travel bikes nonetheless.
    Nice that they are both working out so well.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

What was an average fuel run Paul?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    What was an average fuel run Paul?
    Average consumption is about 70 with normal 2 lane riding - speeds 60-65 or up to 70. Fighting a 25G40 headwind on the Interstate in Montana we got about 50. Tooling around the Enchanted Circle near Taos, NM - 40-55 mph - we both got 84. The small engine provides much more variable fuel consumption than larger engines do. That and the small tank can make life interesting. The instrumentation is good and includes average fuel consumption that can be reset to start over, and current fuel consumption so you can observe what happens when you go up hill or downhill. More importantly one of the settings shows range remaining and that seems to be very accurate on both bikes. When the bike has just 3/10 gallon remaining a red light comes on and the display automatically switches to "range".

So fuel stops generally need to be made between 150 and 190 miles depending on conditions. I can push it when stations are near and plentiful and be very cautious in the vast expanse of the great plains and western deserts. Bottom line: we never ran out of gas.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

The good news is that it appears that carrying a single 30 oz. MSR bottle of fuel could provide 15-20 miles of travel with careful fuel conservation.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

So glad you guys made a great decision for new bikes. What is it like passing? Lets say normal 60 or 70 on a 2 lane and you have a car or two to get around. Do you try that? Do downshift into 4th or even 3rd? Can you roll on the throttle and just Zoom around?......

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    So glad you guys made a great decision for new bikes. What is it like passing? Lets say normal 60 or 70 on a 2 lane and you have a car or two to get around. Do you try that? Do downshift into 4th or even 3rd? Can you roll on the throttle and just Zoom around?......
    I almost always downshift from 6th to pass. I have done so for years on my K75s and R1150R. On the 310GS 5th is good from about 45 to 90 (redline). 4th is good from 35 or so to 75. Passing is usually not an issue. It would be going up a steep hill or into a stiff headwind. Otherwise - shift down and roll on.

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    The good news is that it appears that carrying a single 30 oz. MSR bottle of fuel could provide 15-20 miles of travel with careful fuel conservation.
    We learned on the KTM cousin
    IMG_0846-2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The small engine provides much more variable fuel consumption than larger engines do. That and the small tank can make life interesting.

Bottom line: we never ran out of gas.
    H's KTM counts up on miles to go...mine as well, scary to look down and see 3! We are not as wise as some here and took a few times riding the ridgetops of Arkansas. 2.9 can def be interesting
    The above pictured MSR resides in a tube on hers after the first lesson

IMG_0129.JPG

Well, that bites, not able to fix right now...sorry folks

Steep hills y’all ride.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

On the back of the little TW that might......I have two tubes. The MSR bottles are great, thought I would give 2 Sea-Foam (fuel treatment) bottles a try. Both filled with treated non-ethanol fuel for better longevity. So far so good.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200