Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding to the rally? Let's form some posses!

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    How about a meetup that starts in Fargo?
    I'm up for that. Going through Fargo on my way to Minot for an overnight then on in to Great Falls via Hwy 2

Joe
    Last edited by 61996; 01-20-2020 at 04:46 PM.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

Quote Originally Posted by AKsuited View Post
    Anyone know the lodging situation in North Dakota? Don't want to plan on crossing North Dakota if I can't find a room.
    Google found this place in Malta: The Country Inn & RV Park and a fellow member above found this place: Sleeping Bear Resort & Hotspring (doesn't that sound nice?).

At this point I don't know whether it's good or not, but having ridden through these parts, facilities are far between.

A Facebook friend and GS Giant is also telling me about Medora, ND, just outside the Teddy Roosevelt NP

The same friend is helping to spot other places. He led a GS Giants ride to the rally in MN from Medora... it was a big dog ride, though... very remote camping.

It's getting near the time to start making lists... look to the first post for those, coming soon.

and a fellow member above found this place: Sleeping Bear Resort & Hotspring (doesn't that sound nice?).

The link doesn't open.
    Is it Sleeping Buffalo?
    http://www.sbhotsprings.com/
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The link doesn't open.
    Is it Sleeping Buffalo?
    http://www.sbhotsprings.com/
    I fixed it.

Heading up from Salt Lake City Area

About 600 miles from SLC to the rally. Planning to stop in West Yellowstone overnight and then head in the next day. Probably will take the route through YNP and then up through Bozeman - a leisurely pace for sure and hotel stays. Should be a great trip and looking forward to the rally!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    After 25 years off I finally got back to riding before I turned age 50! Enjoying exploring the roads of Utah and inter-mountain west on my 2017 F700gs.

Quote Originally Posted by excdnguy View Post
    About 600 miles from SLC to the rally. Planning to stop in West Yellowstone overnight and then head in the next day. Probably will take the route through YNP and then up through Bozeman - a leisurely pace for sure and hotel stays. Should be a great trip and looking forward to the rally!
    By any chance have you tried the One Horse Motel? It's said to be very moto-friendly.

I checked their availability and their rooms look to be about $125/night. They have a number of 2-bed rooms and a few 3-bed rooms according to their web site.

Quote Originally Posted by excdnguy View Post
    I'll be coming through SLC on rte 15N on my way to the rally as well. Good to know it's just 600 miles to the rally from there.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Virginia/Maryland to Great Falls

Myself, my brother Ed, our cousin Tom, and Mike are building our route to the rally. As it stands we are rendezvousing in Ohio, heading up to Michigan and crossing Lake Michigan on a ferry from Luddington. Ferry will be on Saturday or Sunday morning. Then up thru Duluth and get on the "High Line" west. Maybe we'll make Malta if others are gathering there on Tuesday pre-rally. We'll be on 2 1200 GSs, a GSPD, and a Harley Davidson Dyna. We plan to camp and occasional motel.

Hank Pfister
    Roanoke, VA
    Hank Pfister, Bent Mtn. VA
    pfestus1@yahoo.com
    2014 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5, 1984 R100/Dnepr.
    www.twinvalleyriders.org

Quote Originally Posted by HankPfister View Post
    , heading up to Michigan and crossing Lake Michigan on a ferry from Luddington. Ferry will be on Saturday or Sunday morning. Then up thru Duluth and get on the "High Line" west.

Hank Pfister
    Roanoke, VA
    Sounds like a nice route.
    Will you catch some of the South Shore and North Shore of Superior before and after Duluth?
    I'm not familiar with the "High Line" which highway is that?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Sounds like a nice route.
    Will you catch some of the South Shore and North Shore of Superior before and after Duluth?
    I'm not familiar with the "High Line" which highway is that?
    US HWY 2 that crosses Montana. The portion east of Great Falls is the portion more commonly referred to as the High Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Line_(Montana)
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    US HWY 2 that crosses Montana. The portion east of Great Falls is the portion more commonly referred to as the High Line.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hi-Line_(Montana)
    Thanks, I tried Google without any luck.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

We are riding from Anchorage, AK. to Great Falls. Any others going from Anchorage?

A true adventure ride meetup

Last edited by Visian; 01-23-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HankPfister View Post
    Myself, my brother Ed, our cousin Tom, and Mike are building our route to the rally. As it stands we are rendezvousing in Ohio, heading up to Michigan and crossing Lake Michigan on a ferry from Luddington. Ferry will be on Saturday or Sunday morning. Then up thru Duluth and get on the "High Line" west. Maybe we'll make Malta if others are gathering there on Tuesday pre-rally. We'll be on 2 1200 GSs, a GSPD, and a Harley Davidson Dyna. We plan to camp and occasional motel.

Hank Pfister
    Roanoke, VA
    Hank -- a pretty nice alternative way to Duluth is Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

This info I'm posting here is still in development, but a fellow in our Facebook group is working to get something set up in Wakefield, Michigan. It's right on US2.

Stay tuned, I'll post updates.

Hank -- a pretty nice alternative way to Duluth is Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

I agree and getting off the ferry at Manatowac sets him up for seeing part of the UP.
    He could run up 35 to Escanaba, then take 41 to Marquette, then head to Wakefield.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878