Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Rear brake squeal on F750GS

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    20

    Rear brake squeal on F750GS

    So I thought Iíd post here instead of the F-Twin Forum because the posting activity there seems very low, and this seems like an issue that may not be very model specific.

    Got my 2019 F750GS in June and love the bike so far. Only have about 2k miles. But the rear brake squeals regularly, particularly on moderate or light braking. Iíve tried some aggressive braking to try and break in the pads, but that hasnít seemed to help.

    All thoughts appreciated.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    950
    Is the bike in FL. or CO.? When did this start?

  3. #3
    Registered User Motodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    2,409
    Clean the area on the piston and caliper where the pad backing plate touches. Apply some anti-squeal adhesive (lots of brands out there), reinstall the pads and button up. These anaerobic products will stay gummy until you apply the brakes and squeeze out the oxygen. ... Apply a thin film of high-temp brake grease to any sliding surfaces.
    '19 F850GSA - '18 Z900RS

    MOA #46783

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Bothell, WA - USA
    Posts
    41
    When have you last washed the bike? A number of BMW models over the years have come with OEM pads that squeal from excessive brake dust, and washing the bike temporarily removes the squeal. Also, replacing the pads with other than OEM pads may stop the noise.

  5. #5
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    6,166
    Its a 2019, 7 months old, what does the dealer think could be wrong. Before you start disassembling. I'm assuming you have a warranty.
    Last edited by junkjohn; 01-17-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Is the bike in FL. or CO.? When did this start?
    Wow, Iím totally impressed with the responses to my post. Thank you all. This makes me feel good about being a new MOA member.
    I will respond to them sequentially, starting with this one.
    (This will also boost my post count!)

    This started from day one. I bought the bike in CO, and then transported it to FL in October where I donít ride nearly as much. I will say that my environment in CO is somewhat dusty. I have to traverse a dirt road about 2 miles each way in and out to my house to connect with pavement. But hey, this bike is built for that, right?

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Motodan View Post
    Clean the area on the piston and caliper where the pad backing plate touches. Apply some anti-squeal adhesive (lots of brands out there), reinstall the pads and button up. These anaerobic products will stay gummy until you apply the brakes and squeeze out the oxygen. ... Apply a thin film of high-temp brake grease to any sliding surfaces.
    Thanks for this suggestion. I love working on my toys, but at the same time Iím a newbie to motorcycles. But Iím totally up to the challenge. If easier fixes donít work, Iíll pursue this. Thanks.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman48 View Post
    When have you last washed the bike? A number of BMW models over the years have come with OEM pads that squeal from excessive brake dust, and washing the bike temporarily removes the squeal. Also, replacing the pads with other than OEM pads may stop the noise.
    Iíve washed the bike several times, but Iíve focused that on the cosmetic appearance of the bike, not spraying too much on the working innerds like the brakes. Iíll give the pads and rotors a good wash and report back. Iím not too keen to get into replacing pads since I bought a premium motorcycle with a good warranty. And paid a premium for that. Iím stepping up from a fairly new Suzuki V-Strom 650 which had NO issues in my 2 years of ownership. This bike cost roughly two times what the V-Strom cost, new to new comparison.

    But donít get me wrong, I appreciate the difference in the bikes.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Buena Vista CO & Marco Island FL
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by junkjohn View Post
    Its a 2019, 7 months old, what does the dealer think could be wrong. Before you start disassembling. I'm assuming you have a warrantee.
    Hope Iím not over doing this with multiple replies. My dealer in FL is an hours ride away. I donít have normal service due anytime soon, and donít feel this warrants a special trip. If it persists, Iíll definitely bring it up at the next regular service. Itís slightly annoying, but this is really minor in the big sweep of things.

    Thanks to all you folks for responding, and I certainly welcome additional comments.
    It feels good to join the group.

    As a footnote, I went to my first MOA event in Copper Mountain, CO last summer and I hope to do more going forward.

  10. #10
    Brake squeal (as opposed to a scratching or grinding sound) is almost always caused by a vibration of the backing plate(s) on the pad(s) against the caliper piston. That is why, when used, an anti-squeal compound is applied to the back of the pads where they contact the piston. So in search of a grime or dust cause, be sure to clean the back of the pads.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  11. #11
    Watch This!!! junkjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Posts
    6,166
    Quote Originally Posted by sea2summit View Post
    Hope Iím not over doing this with multiple replies. My dealer in FL is an hours ride away. I donít have normal service due anytime soon, and donít feel this warrants a special trip. If it persists, Iíll definitely bring it up at the next regular service. Itís slightly annoying, but this is really minor in the big sweep of things.

    Thanks to all you folks for responding, and I certainly welcome additional comments.
    It feels good to join the group.

    As a footnote, I went to my first MOA event in Copper Mountain, CO last summer and I hope to do more going forward.
    My dealer is also an hour away, but they have been great to deal with on line and on the phone. It could be worth a call.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Similar Threads

  1. brake squeal /5
    By rider1D in forum Airheads
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-24-2014, 07:16 PM
  2. rear brake squeal
    By chwood4 in forum Vintage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-02-2013, 11:03 PM
  3. brake pad squeal
    By jbarneshb in forum Airheads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 02:02 PM
  4. brake squeal mystery
    By wekrico in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 06:19 PM
  5. brake squeal back after 30 miles w/ new pads...
    By barooo in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •