• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rear brake squeal on F750GS

sea2summit

So I thought I’d post here instead of the F-Twin Forum because the posting activity there seems very low, and this seems like an issue that may not be very model specific.

Got my 2019 F750GS in June and love the bike so far. Only have about 2k miles. But the rear brake squeals regularly, particularly on moderate or light braking. I’ve tried some aggressive braking to try and break in the pads, but that hasn’t seemed to help.

All thoughts appreciated.

Clean the area on the piston and caliper where the pad backing plate touches. Apply some anti-squeal adhesive (lots of brands out there), reinstall the pads and button up. These anaerobic products will stay gummy until you apply the brakes and squeeze out the oxygen. ... Apply a thin film of high-temp brake grease to any sliding surfaces.

When have you last washed the bike? A number of BMW models over the years have come with OEM pads that squeal from excessive brake dust, and washing the bike temporarily removes the squeal. Also, replacing the pads with other than OEM pads may stop the noise.

Its a 2019, 7 months old, what does the dealer think could be wrong. Before you start disassembling. I'm assuming you have a warranty.

Last edited:
Is the bike in FL. or CO.? When did this start?

Wow, I’m totally impressed with the responses to my post. Thank you all. This makes me feel good about being a new MOA member.
I will respond to them sequentially, starting with this one.
(This will also boost my post count!)

This started from day one. I bought the bike in CO, and then transported it to FL in October where I don’t ride nearly as much. I will say that my environment in CO is somewhat dusty. I have to traverse a dirt road about 2 miles each way in and out to my house to connect with pavement. But hey, this bike is built for that, right?

Clean the area on the piston and caliper where the pad backing plate touches. Apply some anti-squeal adhesive (lots of brands out there), reinstall the pads and button up. These anaerobic products will stay gummy until you apply the brakes and squeeze out the oxygen. ... Apply a thin film of high-temp brake grease to any sliding surfaces.

Thanks for this suggestion. I love working on my toys, but at the same time I’m a newbie to motorcycles. But I’m totally up to the challenge. If easier fixes don’t work, I’ll pursue this. Thanks.

When have you last washed the bike? A number of BMW models over the years have come with OEM pads that squeal from excessive brake dust, and washing the bike temporarily removes the squeal. Also, replacing the pads with other than OEM pads may stop the noise.

I’ve washed the bike several times, but I’ve focused that on the cosmetic appearance of the bike, not spraying too much on the working innerds like the brakes. I’ll give the pads and rotors a good wash and report back. I’m not too keen to get into replacing pads since I bought a premium motorcycle with a good warranty. And paid a premium for that. I’m stepping up from a fairly new Suzuki V-Strom 650 which had NO issues in my 2 years of ownership. This bike cost roughly two times what the V-Strom cost, new to new comparison.

But don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the difference in the bikes.

Its a 2019, 7 months old, what does the dealer think could be wrong. Before you start disassembling. I'm assuming you have a warrantee.

Hope I’m not over doing this with multiple replies. My dealer in FL is an hours ride away. I don’t have normal service due anytime soon, and don’t feel this warrants a special trip. If it persists, I’ll definitely bring it up at the next regular service. It’s slightly annoying, but this is really minor in the big sweep of things.

Thanks to all you folks for responding, and I certainly welcome additional comments.
It feels good to join the group.

As a footnote, I went to my first MOA event in Copper Mountain, CO last summer and I hope to do more going forward.

Brake squeal (as opposed to a scratching or grinding sound) is almost always caused by a vibration of the backing plate(s) on the pad(s) against the caliper piston. That is why, when used, an anti-squeal compound is applied to the back of the pads where they contact the piston. So in search of a grime or dust cause, be sure to clean the back of the pads.

Hope I’m not over doing this with multiple replies. My dealer in FL is an hours ride away. I don’t have normal service due anytime soon, and don’t feel this warrants a special trip. If it persists, I’ll definitely bring it up at the next regular service. It’s slightly annoying, but this is really minor in the big sweep of things.

Thanks to all you folks for responding, and I certainly welcome additional comments.
It feels good to join the group.

As a footnote, I went to my first MOA event in Copper Mountain, CO last summer and I hope to do more going forward.
My dealer is also an hour away, but they have been great to deal with on line and on the phone. It could be worth a call.

Back