• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Way out there, but thinking of adding Kawasaki...

I did it, will now have a representative from each of our two primary adversaries in WWII. Need an Italian rig to round out this Axis on wheels collection.

I did it, will now have a representative from each of our two primary adversaries in WWII. Need an Italian rig to round out this Axis on wheels collection.

Congrats on the Z. When the roads clear and you get some miles on it please let us know how you like it.

So for the Italian representative will you go with Ducati? Guzzi? Vespa? Laverda?

My reference to snow riding was in jest. Once the pre snow brine is applied, my bike(s) is/are done till thaw and Spring rain.

I'm new at living in snowy areas having moved out to Denver area from Northern California. Can you elaborate on what I need to be careful of w/ regard to salt? I'm riding just often enough to enjoy a 30-40m local ride and keep the battery charged. After snow/ice thaw which often happens within a few days after lighter snowfalls I generally avoid all puddles that would have dissolved salt residual, but do I need to be concerned in riding over dry pavement w/ salt residual? I'll wash the rims and other metals once a month or so weather permitting. So far the rims still look great on my '16 RTW.

do I need to be concerned in riding over dry pavement w/ salt residual? I'll wash the rims and other metals once a month or so weather permitting. So far the rims still look great on my '16 RTW.

The dust you see on your bike is probably salt. I would wash the bike after every ride.
I don't have a easy way to wash our bikes in the winter so I stop riding once they start using salt on the roads.
They use a lot of brine around here and at times the roads look white when dry.

The dust you see on your bike is probably salt. I would wash the bike after every ride.
I don't have a easy way to wash our bikes in the winter so I stop riding once they start using salt on the roads.

They use a brine mixture here in Virginia. I ride mostly all winter except during times when there is still snow and ice on the road. I bought one of those collapsable hoses that rolls up and fits in a 5 gallon bucket. I hook it up to my utility sink in the garage with an adapter and a foaming sprayer on the other end. That allows me to wash her down, followed by my leaf blower and roll it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on buying the Z.
How many miles on it?
Are the roads clear enough to ride it home or will you trailer it?

Thank you!

About 2,200 miles on her.

I live in northern Indiana, spend some time in Florida during winter, so there now. I bought this via online/phone calls from a dealer in Pennsylvania. Once we get back home I'll probably end up renting a snowplow to get it back to the garage. All part of the securing process. I may buy an oil filter for it down here, just to feel more involved...LOL!

Last edited:
I'm new at living in snowy areas having moved out to Denver area from Northern California. Can you elaborate on what I need to be careful of w/ regard to salt? I'm riding just often enough to enjoy a 30-40m local ride and keep the battery charged. After snow/ice thaw which often happens within a few days after lighter snowfalls I generally avoid all puddles that would have dissolved salt residual, but do I need to be concerned in riding over dry pavement w/ salt residual? I'll wash the rims and other metals once a month or so weather permitting. So far the rims still look great on my '16 RTW.

This is one area where a European owners forum can offer a different perspective. Beyond the coastal exposure, all season or winter riding is more common in those countries and drive train housing corrosion is a frequent topic. A number of those riders swear by a product called ACF50. I assume Boehield T-9 would offer similar protection.

But, as noted before, when the salt trucks start their season, my bike goes in the garage until spring.

They use a brine mixture here in Virginia. I ride mostly all winter except during times when there is still snow and ice on the road. I bought one of those collapsable hoses that rolls up and fits in a 5 gallon bucket. I hook it up to my utility sink in the garage with an adapter and a foaming sprayer on the other end. That allows me to wash her down, followed by my leaf blower and roll it back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I miss the days when I had hot and cold water for vehicle washing. A bit of warmth helps to dissolve the greasy stuff and bugs.

I usually wait until spring rain and all the white residue has disappeared before I break out for the year. I heard once that if can't wash bike frequently after getting that salt dust all over bike it might make it worse to try and wash bike right after that one time ride and then put away for another month. Made sense to me in that I'd be adding moisture with the salt into nooks and crannies. It may be paranoia but my last stable of bikes that I bought new in 2002 timeframe stayed with me until 2016 without any corrosion problems. I have couple of 2016's now that I plan to keep for a long time. Although maybe I should consider something used and smaller to satisfy the winter cravings.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

Good decision. Looks like a fun bike to ride, and one with an impressive history. I believe the original Kawasaki 900 bikes are regarded right up there with the Honda 750 Four for being legendary motorcycles.

I own the z900rs Cafe version (2019) & can tell you it's the best I4 engine I've ever ridden. Comparable to the Triumph Triple which I traded for it. Kawasaki hit a home run with this bike. It was designed, spec'd & engineered with care & attention to detail not usually found at this price point. The exhaust note is inspiring, the motor howls & it carves. It's also beautiful, in either presentation.
The early ones had a snatchy throttle, but the '19 models were cured. Damn emissions regs!
You can ride it 150 miles through the mountains & still stand up straight after getting off.
I submit it's one of the best retros on the market = to the Triumph Bonnie's.
I also own a Bonnie, & it's nothing like a Bonnie.
You would be a proud & happy owner...

I agree motodan

I’m with you moto. I too am considering getting a 2nd bike to put in the garage. That’s on my list. I rode one last Saturday, whew! Also looking at a CB500X or Indian Scout 60. Anybody have any experience with any of these?

I've got an Indian Scout in addition to my airhead and R1200R. Totally different experience, which is what attracted me. Crazy easy and relaxed ride...very low, plenty of low end torque, decent feel on the controls. Terrific bike to bop around the local side roads on. That said, the brakes, handling etc. are absolutely not in the same league as a modern BMW...but then, they're not supposed to be. Stock seat is, for me, adequate - and with the limited range, you're not riding that far without stopping for gas anyway. No quality issues after 18 months though admittedly my mileage is low since I have other toys and it's not the bike I'd choose for longer rides. Did the break-in service myself, dead easy. Virtually no electronics (which for some may be an attraction). Mine is an ABS bike, though.

And - if you wind that engine up, it has exceptional power (this is the Scout vice the 60). In fact the engine is probably the best part of the bike.

I'd recommend it for anyone that wants a smaller, relaxed, good looking bike to cruise around local roads. Others have ridden them cross country, but not sure I would...

Scout

Thanks for the input subman. Haven’t ridden one yet but do intend to. Just sold my 80 airhead so think I need something else.......in addition to the GSadv

Z900rs

Good to hear about the surging throttle fix on the ‘19. I rode a 19 and did not notice it. There are some left over 18’s on the net though for 7500.00 versus 9500.00 +. That’s enticing

Now bonding in the garage....waiting for Spring.

Attachments

• IMG_5908.jpg
    IMG_5908.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_5907.jpg
    IMG_5907.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 124
I’m jealous! Have you rode the zed at all yet? It being an 18 just curious about the surging. Probably no worse than my old 97 1100R though and it was no big deal. Sometimes I think magazine testers just look for an issue. Hope you enjoy it.

I do like the Bonnie crna no dealer near me though. I heard we might get one. Who knows. I’m in the Little Rock area. Jap 4, Harley, Indian and KTM are my choices.........

Back