Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Optically clear sun glasses

Prior to my last eye exam I had prescription glasses and a pair of sunglasses with the same prescription. This time I opted for prescription glasses with Transitions brand self darkening. They work very well for riding. They do not, however, darken very much when driving because of the UV blocking in the windshield.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I also stopped buying extra sunglasses when helmets started featuring the drop down visor. My normal non riding glasses are photo grays, so no dedicated sunglasses needed. Seems like I was the last to learn there is lately a version of photo grays that will turn dark behind a car windshield and I assume a helmet visor. The original stuff wouldnít.

One maybe esoteric advantage is the times riding in mountains when suddenly you have to ride through a tunnel. Thatís sometimes no fun wearing sunglasses but easy peasy to move up that internal visor. Itís pretty scary when you canít see potholes or any road irregularities and since youíve just come from sunlight itís worse than night driving.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

I have the drop down visors on a few helmets but pretty much never use them. Once in awhile if it's crazy bright I'll put it down over my glasses.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Be carefull with polarization. Some bikes instruments (early Kbike gear indicators and clocks for example) disappear when wearing polarized lenses.
    Plus wearing polarized lenses behind most helmet visors, whether they are clear or tinted, will give you the wavy/colored lines.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Bear in mind that polarized lenses (which remove glare) make it difficult/impossible to see the sheen of an fuel spill, oil patch or damp pavement.

That said, I've managed to survive for a number of years while wearing them.
    Same here. IMO, the benefits of polarized lenses far out weigh the negatives. I have never had problems seeing a wet or icy patch of road. The worst issues are ghosting on the windshield, and it makes it tougher to see the dash and GPS, but in years of riding I have adjusted to it and highly recommend polarized lenses.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I also wear top of the line helmets with very good visors, no issue whatsoever looking through them with polarized lenses. My GPS is so old there's no issue looking at that either but I only use it for speed, time and bearing not navigation. No issue in any cars I drive looking at displays either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    My wife used to wear Serengeti Drivers for motorcycle use.
    https://www.serengeti-eyewear.com/en...ivers-gradient
    This brand came immediately to mind... I used to have prescription versions of these, which were quite expensive. After I lost the third pair in the ocean, I started going to Walmart and buying prescription lenses supplied by Leitz or Nikon. These are quite good and about half the cost of Serengetis.

But if you don't need prescription lenses, or you wear contacts, the Serengeti Drivers are the best you can buy, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I also wear top of the line helmets with very good visors, no issue whatsoever looking through them with polarized lenses. My GPS is so old there's no issue looking at that either but I only use it for speed, time and bearing not navigation. No issue in any cars I drive looking at displays either.
    With polarized lenses, you should see the photoelastic stress fringes in any piece of molded clear plastic.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    photoelastic stress fringes .
    Psychedelic was easier to understand
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I don't notice it much at all

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Psychedelic was easier to understand
    You are of that day!!!!
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I don't notice it much at all
    Just curious, any degree of colorblindness??

Nope, 20/20 vision but I need readers for my old man eyes. Colour is all good.

So, living in the desert Southwest, the air is very dry and and my eyes are affected when riding.

I wear ...

https://7eye.com/collections/z87-frames/products/diablo

... with clear prescription lenses.

Purpose designed beats "generic" or "universal" every time.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Nope, 20/20 vision but I need readers for my old man eyes. Colour is all good.
    It might be good, but it is spelled wrong......